Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax Spotmatic's
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Pentax Spotmatic's Reply with quote

I'm looking to pick up a used (of course) Pentax M42 film body to use my M42 lenses on....Any suggestions or tips as to which model to get & why?....Anything to look out for?...BTW, I do already have an M42 mount body in a Yashica TL-Super but want a Pentax as well

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Spotmatic F is a great camera because it will allow you to meter wide open with S-M-C Takumar lenses.

The original Spotmatic is also a favorite of mine because of its sleek design (it does not have a fixed flash shoe). I actually like the original Spotmatic more than the SP-F.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the shipping of Spotmatic from Netherland to USA will be rather expensive Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
I think the shipping of Spotmatic from Netherland to USA will be rather expensive Laughing

But at least I'll get a free vacation then Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ill trade you a black spotmatic for a cool rangefinder :p

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a soft spot for the SP1000... although I don't like the K1000. Go figure.

The original Spotmatic has the best design look, which the SP1000 kept alive.

Very pretty and nice are the pre Spotmatic SV's as well.

I like the positioning of the Yashica stopdown/meter switch by the way, better than the Spottie's. But more convenient than either is the button on a Fuji ST605, which you operate with a finger of your right hand.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pentax Spotmatic's Reply with quote

Screamin Scott wrote:
I'm looking to pick up a used (of course) Pentax M42 film body to use my M42 lenses on....Any suggestions or tips as to which model to get & why?....Anything to look out for?...BTW, I do already have an M42 mount body in a Yashica TL-Super but want a Pentax as well

If you want a microprism focusing with the fresnel, the "late" SV is a good choice if you don't mind hand-held meters.

If you like split-screen, the Spot F is hard to beat when fitted with s-m-c or smc lenses.

Another interesting body is the Pentax SL. It is a meter-less spotmatic with a microprism screen but has the other features of the spottie.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
I have a soft spot for the SP1000... although I don't like the K1000. Go figure.

The original Spotmatic has the best design look, which the SP1000 kept alive.

Very pretty and nice are the pre Spotmatic SV's as well.

I like the positioning of the Yashica stopdown/meter switch by the way, better than the Spottie's. But more convenient than either is the button on a Fuji ST605, which you operate with a finger of your right hand.

Many people mistakenly compare the Spot F to the K1000 instead of the SP1000 which is more accurate. The Spot F is more on par with the KM or KX minus mlu. Among other things, the Spot F has the timer and split screen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
The Spotmatic F is a great camera because it will allow you to meter wide open with S-M-C Takumar lenses.

The original Spotmatic is also a favorite of mine because of its sleek design (it does not have a fixed flash shoe). I actually like the original Spotmatic more than the SP-F.

+1 for F, SPII, or SP -- make sure the meter works, if you need that! I was lucky, only one didn't, but only required the battery tab bent a little to get it to go... beware corroded battery cover/compartment!

They may need new mirror bumper foam and/or light seals; easy diy.

May need CLA; none of mine did -- shutter speed and metering on all 6 of mine arrived good enough for slide film (2 SP, 2 SPII, 2 F).

Batteries for SP, SPII only last about a year...F body/lens needs to be capped otherwise drains batteries.

I also like my ESII, almost feels like cheating, but still a MF body.

I actually bought these for the attached/bundled lenses, usually 50/1.4 or 55/1.8. Got my S-M-C 85/1.8 bundled with an F. SP and SPII may come with Super-Taks instead of S-M-C. F should be S-M-C; some sellers put Super-Taks on, watch out for that, as then open-aperture metering doesn't work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the SPii to the SPF. Especially when you have a mixture of preset and auto lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPF +1, but battery will be an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djmike wrote:
SPF +1, but battery will be an issue.

The battery issue will be true for several of the Spotties. I just use 1.35 volt hearing aide batteries and a neoprene o-ring to run my Spot F.