Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentax Full Frame this Spring!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pictures - Comparing the sizes of wheels, dials, buttons and other controls, plus the relatively enormous prism housing, this thing shouldn't be much bigger (if at all) overall than the current Pentax DSLRs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is the most buttons and switches I have ever seen on a small camera. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the benefits offered by the PENTAX 35mm full-frame digital SLR camera is that your favorite lenses, which many of you have used since the days of film photography, can be used at their [full image circles]. This benefit applies to the high-grade FA Limited-series lenses. Favored by many PENTAX camera users, you can take advantages of the imaging power of these popular lenses in digital photography much as for film photography. I would like to familiarize you with some sample images captured by three FA Limited-series lenses.

The smc PENTAX-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited has outstanding image-forming power and delivers high-contrast images. It offers a distinctive image description that accurately reproduces the ambiance of the scene being shot. Captured by this wide-angle lens, Image 1 clearly depicts fine details even in the shadows.

Next is the smc PENTAX-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited. This compact unifocal standard lens has an angle of view and perspective similar to that of the human eye. Image 2 shows fine sharpness, rich gradation and a truthful sense of depth, all of which are distinctive characteristics of this particular lens.

Finally, the smc PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited excels in contrast and resolution. Captured by this telephoto lens, Image 3 faithfully recreates the ambience of this particular scene with its high-contrast rendition and subtle bokeh (defocus) effect.

Read more at: http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/pentax-news-rumors/pentax-full-frame-with-fa-limiteds.html#ixzz3xAZl0vYg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to love it.. I really do. but my K5 is great. I can't see how much "greater" this is going to be. But happily corrected Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tromboads wrote:
I'm Pentax fan but this is ten years too late.

Mum-togrpahers aren't going to buy it because they are all ready buying APS,

Pro-tographers aren't going to buy it but it because there is no NPS style warranty support for Ricoh/Pentax.

Any why would they? So they can use there manual M, K mount lenses they collect of ebay in their commercial work? I can't see this attracting anyone other then those on Pentax forums. :S

Of course what will happen is it will come and folks will complain that it's bigger then APS,

Pentax needed this ten years ago so they could built that "hero" base in order to sell to all those Mum-togrophers. It's those sorts of things that are surely driving the brand awareness around Canon/NIkon now?

Ironically when I buy prescription glasses I check the "Pentax coating please"

It all hinges on the price. If they can do a good comparable full frame camera comparable to the big boys for less money, then they will sell a shit load of them. A FF pentax for $700?? If its more, than I agree with you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specs, pics, MSRP $1800

http://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/k-series/k1/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, the specs are interesting.
Seems to be only slightly larger in every dimension than my K30, and only slightly heavier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USB 2.0!! Not great.

What's up with that!

Question

I'll wait for the USB 3.1 version which should not be too far behind.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:
USB 2.0!! Not great.

What's up with that!

Question

I'll wait for the USB 3.1 version which should not be too far behind.

Perhaps a firmware update will be possible for USB 3.1?

I just read through the specs on the K1 and I gotta say, I'm impressed. This is a feature-packed camera being offered at a list price that's roughly half that of the competition. I have a modest Pentax mf collection -- quite a bit smaller selection of Pentax lenses than either my Nikon or Canon systems. But I have a large selection of Tamrons, most of which are SP lenses, and P-K adaptall-2 mounts. I'm thinking this would be a fun camera to own. And I don't share the pessimism that others have expressed. For sure, most of the folks over at the Pentax Forum are pretty excited about it. I look forward to reading a few comprehensive reviews once it's been released.

So, $1799US is the list price -- I wonder what the discount retailers, like B&H or Amazon, will be asking for it. Or is this list price also supposed to be the "street price"?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the movement of the LCD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmluFxZDzC8&feature=youtu.be

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no way to update it to USB 3 as it is limited by the USB controller inside the camera.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never used USB, on any of my cameras, but usb 2 on this camera is a curious fact.
I would buy this one or any full frame dslr that Pentax could release until the day I have the money to buy one. Until that day I will collect more Pentax lenses to have a nice system according to my needs. It seems like a great camera, made to last many years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
There is no way to update it to USB 3 as it is limited by the USB controller inside the camera.

Totally correct. This is a hardware issue, not one of software or firmware.

It's a FF camera. There is a whole lot of data per photo. That data does you no good until it leaves the camera body.

When it comes to movement of large amounts of data in 2016, USB 2.0 is completely obsolete.

There might be real opportunity here, though, for those with a bit of patience:

Depending on how many of the USB 2.0 cameras they produce, there's a chance that when the USB 3.1 cameras come out the obsolete USB 2.0 units will be discounted heavily. For people with thinner wallets who have time on their hands, this could present an important buying opportunity, a way to obtain a bona fide FF camera on the cheap.

Why this camera was designed with USB 2.0 I have no clue. Admittedly USB 3.1 is more recent. But I have been using USB 3.0 for a couple of years, and it is a major improvement over USB 2.0 when moving large amounts of data. Once you've used USB 3.x you never look back.

ETA

I just had another thought. Perhaps Pentax anticipates users of this camera body will remove their memory card each time wanting to upload their photos, and mount it into a separate USB 3.1 reader. That would circumvent the USB 2.0 limitation it seems to me, though at the cost of some convenience.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guardian wrote:

I just had another thought. Perhaps Pentax anticipates users of this camera body will remove their memory card each time wanting to upload their photos, and mount it into a separate USB 3.1 reader. That would circumvent the USB 2.0 limitation it seems to me, though at the cost of some convenience.

That's what I've always done on any camera that has removal media. No loss of convenience in practice IMO even with only one card slot Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to see this camera finally released believe it or not. But still, it's too late for me. It's too bulky, too cumbersome, and limited focus peaking options:"on and off" just don't cut it for this demanding MF photographer. Great high iso performance but still just more unnecessary Gearhead bait.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Specs, pics, MSRP $1800

http://us.ricoh-imaging.com/product/k-series/k1/

$2300 in the UK really Pisces me off

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a pentax user, until I start using LTM and M mount lenses on Nex5
I will never go back Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting to hold in my hand to check ergonomics to decide between X1 and A7r.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Pentax a lot so i'm happy they finally released this!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote: "In theory the K1 Super Resolution mode offers the most potent advance in image quality in years: full “true color” RGB pixels."
from: http://diglloyd.com/blog/2016/20160218_1331-PentaxK1-SuperResolutionMode.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet Ricoh will release in a year or two a simplified version of the Pentax K-1: 24 MP, plastic not sealed body, LCD with conventional articulation, only one SD slot, etc, for a price around $1000-1200. It's just my intuition; I have no concrete information about it. Cool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing takes stunning pictures with pixel shift

RemcoR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on the Flange distance?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RemcoR wrote:
This thing takes stunning pictures with pixel shift

RemcoR

so..this had been taken with the new K-1? how come?
anyway looks stunning

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, one of the test shots with the K-1.
RemcoR