Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 29mm f/2.8 Do you have any idea?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 29mm f/2.8 Do you have any idea? Reply with quote

Thank's for your's comments...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 29mm f/2.8 Do you have any idea? Reply with quote

donTTouchonlywatch wrote:

What do you need to know? Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 29mm f/2.8 Do you have any idea? Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

What do you need to know? Shocked

About performance,image quality......

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality varies among copies. You can get very good lens, but very bad one, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

How can i seperate?
Thank's

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:

How can i seperate?
Thank's

It's pot luck. You take a chance when you purchase.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
no-X wrote:

How can i seperate?
Thank's

It's pot luck. You take a chance when you purchase.

Very Happy Very Happy
Ok thank's

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 5 bad copies already. # 6 is good on EOS 5D. Surprise!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
I had 5 bad copies already. # 6 is good on EOS 5D. Surprise!

Full frame cameras can do magic with bad or average lenses, larger sensor produce better result with weak lenses too. Same than film ...

I had one copy from this lens a brand new never mounted copy it was pretty good one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one new copy 1 year ago, and I don't use it very much: it's quite soft at borders wide open, but once you stop down to 4-5.6 it becomes very usable. Mine is a "auto MC" copy.

I like the field of view on crop cameras. I also like the "vintage" look it provides, as if you were shooting with old film (has some sort of magenta cast and soft contrast). Well, I have to say that I'm spoilt as I'm used to the SMC Takumars' fantastic contrast, color and sharpness. But I've started using the pentacon again just for fun and looking for the special look it gives.

Build quality and touch is very good, and has a very interesting 0.25 mts MFD that is very usable for funny close ups.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid it is not the best M42 28/30mm ... Tokina, Chinon, "Nonames" are often better and offered at the same or lower price ... I use my takumar, Mir-10, Tamron 2,5 , Lydith , but never this lens . Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Majority of cheap 28mm and 35mm lenses were much worse, than my copy of this lens (I sold it, Komine Vivitar 28/2.8 a Tokina Vivitar 28/1.9 are better, Kiron Vivitar 28/2.5 was about the same in terms of sharpness, but it had more CA). Here is a full-size sample at f/8:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has very nice colors and contrast.

It can have an misaligned element. Is the "normal" defect.

For general use, it should be OK. For critic job, hmm..

It's average lens in resolution, in my taste.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main problem is the risk. If you find a good copy, there are not many lenses which will perform better for the same or lower price. Komine 28/2.8...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I don't remember in the wrong side, the lens (in the orestegon version) was showed in the film "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" and was used like a everyday use lens.

Think that this is the key.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Prakticar (Orestegon) version. Cheap film/good processing combination. I like the lens a lot. It is much sharper than my Lydith in the corners.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Prakticar 2.8/28 as well. It renders good colours and sharpness, even in the corners from 4-5.6 up - on my EOS 5D.
The Orestegon is a little bit weaker but good as well - maybe one stop later.

One thing I still miss is a good metal hood for the Meyer Orestegon/Pentacon 2.8/29 - any advices?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
I have the Prakticar 2.8/28 as well. It renders good colours and sharpness, even in the corners from 4-5.6 up - on my EOS 5D.
The Orestegon is a little bit weaker but good as well - maybe one stop later.

One thing I still miss is a good metal hood for the Meyer Orestegon/Pentacon 2.8/29 - any advices?

49 mm ? Pentax Metal/rigid plastic hood for 28 mm. It's good.

55 mm? Konica metal hood. Better than pentax.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:

49 mm ? Pentax Metal/rigid plastic hood for 28 mm. It's good.

55 mm? Konica metal hood. Better than pentax.

Thank you Rino, indeed it is a 55mm screw on front ring

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 29mm f/2.8 Do you have any idea? Reply with quote

By coincidence I threw one of these away yesterday. It's still in the bin, along with cans and bits of cardboard etc. No doubt a German pensioner who used to work in the camera factory in the former DDR will sleep uneasily tonight.

It was mechanically snappy, and cost me £8, and I used it occasionally in instances where I didn't mind if it was smashed, but even when stopped down it was no good in the corners on my 5D. Instead, and based on the recommendation of this chap here, I have bought a second-hand Olympus 24mm f/2.8, which is wider and better in all respects. And it's good in the corners. Corner performance is very important with a full-frame sensor. On the other hand, I wouldn't be enthused with the Pentacon on a small, ladies' model digital SLR; it would be like having a slow normal lens that is only sharp at f/8, and then not very sharp. As a consequence it no longer had a role and was unsellable so into the bin it went. Where it lurks until Wednesday, when the bin man comes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
If I don't remember in the wrong side, the lens (in the orestegon version) was showed in the film "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" and was used like a everyday use lens.

Think that this is the key.

Rino.

Many many thank's...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 29mm f/2.8 Do you have any idea? Reply with quote

Ashley Pomeroy wrote:

By coincidence I threw one of these away yesterday. It's still in the bin, along with cans and bits of cardboard etc. No doubt a German pensioner who used to work in the camera factory in the former DDR will sleep uneasily tonight.

It was mechanically snappy, and cost me £8, and I used it occasionally in instances where I didn't mind if it was smashed, but even when stopped down it was no good in the corners on my 5D. Instead, and based on the recommendation of this chap here, I have bought a second-hand Olympus 24mm f/2.8, which is wider and better in all respects. And it's good in the corners. Corner performance is very important with a full-frame sensor. On the other hand, I wouldn't be enthused with the Pentacon on a small, ladies' model digital SLR; it would be like having a slow normal lens that is only sharp at f/8, and then not very sharp. As a consequence it no longer had a role and was unsellable so into the bin it went. Where it lurks until Wednesday, when the bin man comes.

Thank's everybody...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading this thread I just decided to give a second opportunity to this lens of mine that I had in pure ostracism... well, it was a real rediscovery: I like the fov in a crop camera, and even dare using it wide open for close ups and funny portraits. As stated some post ago, once stopped down (from 5.6 on) border softness disappears and it becomes a very usable street-lens (I happen to be very comfortable shooting with a 43,5mm-equivalent focal length).

Some samples of the photos I lately took with this lens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/-mikel-/tags/pentacon29f28/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Want to add a stream with 2.8/29 Meyer Orestegon pictures. You should never prejudge a lens ... after all bad experiences with other lenses of that construction, built later as Pentacon, I like that old Meyer:
Sharpness, Bokeh, Colours.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26086448@N00/sets/72157622560068873/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't like this lens. Even the shots people show as good examples of what it can do, are either such that the lens doesn't matter (i.e. good photos on their own? =), or if they show some characteristics of the lens, I generally don't like it. That's purely subjective, of course. In objective terms, the lens is not sharp even compared to other cheap offerings in this focal length and the bokeh is somewhat busy, although fans of swirly bokeh can certainly get some at close distances (e.g. as demonstrated in one of the photos in mflex-on's flickr set linked above).