Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 29mm f/2.8 Do you have any idea?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
the lens is not sharp even compared to other cheap offering

Disagree. The example of lens I can use is pretty sharp from 5.6 up, 8 up all over the full image circle. I will have to show a 1:1 crop of the last picture ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some for pixelpeeper 100%

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 29mm highly impacted by copy variation issue. If you are lucky you can get good one really and poor one too. This is reason why we can read opposite opinions here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mflex-on wrote:
Arkku wrote:
the lens is not sharp even compared to other cheap offerings

Disagree. The example of lens I can use is pretty sharp from 5.6 up, 8 up all over the full image circle. I will have to show a 1:1 crop of the last picture ...

On APS-C this is approximately a “normal lens”, which I for one would like to be sharp much earlier than at f/5.6, otherwise there's not much benefit over using a cheap kit zoom lens that can do f/5.6 at this focal length. In contrast, the Vivitar/Komine 28mm f/2.8 is sharp from wide open and has smooth bokeh, and at least historically has been a cheap lens (it may have been talked up since then). On full frame one might make the case that a) one can get away with a lens that's less sharp, and b) 29mm is a wide-angle and so usually used stopped down.

It may be just the weather or the settings, but there also seems to be some (in my opinion) unpleasant colour cast to the Pentacon 29mm samples posted here by you and others.

Attila is right about sample variation, however; GrahamNR17 says above that his Pentacon 29mm is sharper than the Lydith, while mine are completely opposite. Still, I would not advise for anyone to buy a lens with such variation; it's not a sign of good build quality and there are other options available at the same price.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been through five copies, all of which were crap and comprehensively thrashed by the Komine Vivitar and Tamron Adaptalls.

The 30mm Lydith was marginally better in that respect, but still soft until stopped right down. In fact, I haven't found many decent M42 28mm wideangles, I'll post a test I did recently sometime. All my M42s got thrashed by modern lenses, so I sold them all bar the Vivitar and Tamrons which held up OK.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Meyers,Pentacons Primagon was one of best to me and HELIOPLAN!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree, the Pentacon line has annoying variances in built quality, glasses seem to be more or less unusable in some parts.

Again my statement is: The older Meyers are better.
I shoot with the Meyer Orestegon on 36x24mm. On crop the weak corners at open aperture would be cropped away.

It is an interesting lens, somewhere I described is as "two lenses in one housing".
From 2.8 to 4 the colour rendering is on the warm side, ideal for romantic scenes, sunset, close up.

Around ƒ8 it renders very cool, technical and - it is sharp, so it is very usable for architecture, modern life, blue scenery with technical approach - sunlight of course, distance, total.

Feel free to visit a gallery with many pictures:
http://gallery.me.com/willibauer#100985

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Again my statement is: The older Meyers are better.

Fully agree. I have a few pre-war and early post-war lenses. They are best from my Meyer lenses, some pre-war pretty awesome lot more better than post-war edition like Primotar 18cm f3.5 or Trioplan 10cm. Primoplan 7,5cm also looks lot better than Primoplan 75mm.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little contribution with some Pentacon 2.8/29 samples :

1-

2-

3-

4-

Not extraordinary, but not the worse.
Very good in regard of the price I paid... Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a "ladies", aps-c camera, so i guess my experience is of no importance to real men. Very Happy

Sharp borders is not what everyone prefers.

My copy is sharp even at 2.8 in the center, but with rather week borders. This suits my style of shooting well, usually, but then the bokeh has to be good. This is not the case though, so I rarely use it.
I hardly stop lenses down, so I cannot comment on performance stopped down.

100% crop center @ f=2.8

For 5 euros it is hard to beat though.

In general I also prefer the earlier Meyers.

/Jan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found an advertisement for it on an auction site, sporting all the lens diagrams of the Pentacons of the time (the 24mm must be Sigma I guess)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Found an advertisement for it on an auction site, sporting all the lens diagrams of the Pentacons of the time (the 24mm must be Sigma I guess)

Thanks for sharing - that's pretty interesting! I assume that apart from the 2.8/24mm also the 3.5/200, the 5.6/300 and the 3.5/38-90 are NOT genuine CZJ lenses ...

Does anyone know more about those lenses? And from when is the advertising you have shared?

S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess from the seventies somewhere. Still m42 They mention EDC which is a sort of aperture coupling. Later on they were called Pentacon Electric. Same time as the PLC 3 VLC3 and ee2 camera's I guess. the PLC3 was launched in 78 (VLC3 and EE2 Earlier) So i'd guess this is late seventies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

Thanks for sharing - that's pretty interesting! I assume that apart from the 2.8/24mm also the 3.5/200, the 5.6/300 and the 3.5/38-90 are NOT genuine CZJ lenses ...

Does anyone know more about those lenses? And from when is the advertising you have shared?

S

Do you mean Meyer Goerlitz when you mention CZJ?
I don't think that there was ever a connection to Zeiss.
I am wondering if the Pentacon 29mm and the Meyer 30mm share the same design
Tom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
stevemark wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

S

Tom

The Meyer Orestegon 29/2.8 is the Pentacon 29/2.8
The Meyer Lydith 30/3.5 is the Pentacon 30/3.5

Two different designs:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D1N0 wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
stevemark wrote:
D1N0 wrote:

S

Tom

The Meyer Orestegon 29/2.8 is the Pentacon 29/2.8
The Meyer Lydith 30/3.5 is the Pentacon 30/3.5

Two different designs:

Like 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find - I didn't know people were looking for those diagrams. 39-85mm f3.5 will obviously be a Sigma, circumstantially I have also recently seen this era of Sigma 24mm branded with Pentacon.

I definitely do think that 24mm is Sigma, I can even roughly remember the shape. Shall get a diagram photo shortly...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggplant wrote:
Nice find - I didn't know people were looking for those diagrams. 39-85mm f3.5 will obviously be a Sigma, circumstantially I have also recently seen this era of Sigma 24mm branded with Pentacon.

I definitely do think that 24mm is Sigma, I can even roughly remember the shape. Shall get a diagram photo shortly...

Yes it is.