Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Peak Imaging, FP4 and Pentacon Six
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Peak Imaging, FP4 and Pentacon Six Reply with quote

Peak Imaging's processing of my B&W film has produced a far, far better scan than anything I was getting from having the film cooked (probably the right expression) locally.

The expensive upgrade to my Pentacon Six also seems to have been worthwhile as the exposure is even and sharp (and the frame spacing is perfect).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love it and the pentacon. i just got a new metered prism from a member here and cant wait to use it.

now, i have LOADS of trouble uploading photos to this site, and they always appear to lack color and contrast when i do, so it is with that background that i ask if you are pleased with the level of contrast you got in this posted image? from what i see, i think it might benefit from PP expanded mid level contrast....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one CLEAR image, clarity and 3d are what come to mind.

Was Peak Imaging expensive, and what do they use to scan with?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, what Jussi said, and where?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reproduction matches what I had in photoshop pretty closely, so I am happy with it. I'm not entirely sure what is meant by "expanded mid-level contrast" but if it means darker blacks and lighter whites, I don't think that is the best way for B&W to be.

Colour reproduction here is another matter. It seems that all the colour pictures you upload are degraded for showing on the main pages and you can only see what they are meant to look like if you click on them to open. I don't know if this file stayed the way I made it because I posted it via a Flickr link because I was having trouble uploading it (unfortunately, that means you can't see the larger size).

Peak Imaging (peak-imaging.com in Sheffield, England) isn't really expensive. Developing charges for 35mm or 120 are about £4 ($6) per roll, and there is a bit for postage, of course. They are probably the leading British film processor now. Interestingly, they say the amount of E6 work they are doing is increasing. Whether that is because of their reputation, due to other labs closing or due to a slight uptick in interest in film I don't know.

I did the scan, not them (I keep confusing people with my phrasing on this). For scanning it starts to get quite expensive, about £30 per roll if you want to be able to do reasonably large prints. I would need to be quite confident that my photos had decent commercial value before I would start paying that much to "digitise" them.

The metered P6 prism is pretty much essential in my view. It was what metered this photo (I'm using the Wein Cells and the meter still going after a good six months.

Anyway, glad you like it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is really a beautiful photo Paul.
Great subject, composition, perfect exposure, beautiful greys.