Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

P....d off
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: P....d off Reply with quote

Talk about miffed, one of my favourtie lenses is misbehaving damn and blast it!! Its my Canon FL 35 f2.5 and just now placing it on my Samsung nx it will not focus past 3.5 metres, from minimum focusing distance to the aforesaid metre point all is okay but then it just stops....any ideas?????

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faulty adapter?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same lens (and it was one of my faves too, really sharp at all apertures).

Not sure why, my guess it some sh*t has entered the helicoid somehow.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does your lens work on a FL camera? This is the first test to make.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried her on one of my FD cameras and no, no change there either

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sh*t in the helicoid. Or solidified lubricant. Perhaps lighter fuel can be squirted in to free it up? No risk of it getting to the optics as in this lens the optics are in one block separate from the helicoid.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds a good idea but where do I squirt the light fuel into? Do I have to do some dismanteling?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, I think you can squirt it in the front, there is a gap where the helicoid part ends just below the silver aperture ring, if you sat it upright with the mount at the bottom, gravity should make it drain down through the helicoid.

Not tried this myself but people have had success with lighter fluid on old Jena lenses with solidified lubricant like the Tessar and Pancolar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you value your lens, what about sending it for a CLA? I know this may not be a cheap option but it will preserve your "favorite" lens.. Very Happy

I just had a thought you may want us to move this to the repair section and you may get a few more ideas on what to do,and put in the title that you need help to repair a lens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha....the lighter fluid worked.......focus operation of the lens now VERY smooth. I'll leave it overnight just to make sure though
Thanks for the tip

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear trev!