Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

opinion sought on planar vs pancolar-RESOLVED
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: opinion sought on planar vs pancolar-RESOLVED Reply with quote

what do forum members think of Contax Zeiss 50mm f1.7 Planar T* AE Lens on canon 5d vs Zeiss Pancolar on 5d?
thanks!

Last edited by rbelyell on Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent. But better than with the pancolar that you already have?

Rino.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what i am not sure of, if it is better than what i already have w the 5d. it seems many knowledgeable forum members love contax lenses, so i thought maybe this lens was a significant upgrade over my pancolar.
what's your opinion?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.lupomesky.cz/czj_vs_cz/comp50.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that is what I call a pungent answer - absolutely spot on. Well done. Wish we could get this type of answer all the time

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant M, thank you, very helpful. i assume that you would think the planar 1.4 is a different story though, yes?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
brilliant M, thank you, very helpful. i assume that you would think the planar 1.4 is a different story though, yes?

I love the Planar T* 1.4/50mm...
the Planar T* 1.4/50mm, for me is more sharper than 1.7/50mm

nadir, italian magazine wrote: planar 1.4/50mm resolves 155 l/mm... the planar 1.7/50mm 145-150 l/mm...
i like very much the colours of planar ....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the planar 1.4 has great color from what ive seen.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: opinion sought on planar vs pancolar Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
what do forum members think of Contax Zeiss 50mm f1.7 Planar T* AE Lens on canon 5d vs Zeiss Pancolar on 5d?
thanks!

As demonstrated in the comparison, the Planar is sharper, no doubt. The Pancolar, reaches an excellent definition of f11.
The virtue of Pancolar is the bokeh.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do bear in mind that the comparison test really applies to the two individual examples being tested, and also, limited to the actual test methods applied. All these may or may not be relevant to your own criteria and actual needs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Both are pretty much equal in some respects. Looks like it's a matter of which color rendition you like, and what kind of bokeh you would like. To me, it would not matter which one, because I never post at the huge resolution that the test uses. Shocked And...as the author of the test said, the depth of field wide open is so short that it would not make any difference in the out-of-focus areas. A GREAT thing to know, especially for my thin pockets!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm become physically attached to my Planar 50/1.4 Very Happy Sharpness and bokeh is incredible Smile If you go the M42 Pancolar route, pay more for a definite good one! I've been through 4 Pancolars so far, all with focusing or aperture issues. Two were badly yellowed as well...never had a probem with a West German Zeiss though Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: opinion sought on planar vs pancolar Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
Contax Zeiss 50mm f1.7 Planar T* AE Lens

I thought it hits mirror? Didn't buy one because of that .. Confused

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
I'm become physically attached to my Planar 50/1.4 Very Happy Sharpness and bokeh is incredible Smile If you go the M42 Pancolar route, pay more for a definite good one! I've been through 4 Pancolars so far, all with focusing or aperture issues. Two were badly yellowed as well...never had a probem with a West German Zeiss though Wink

i also have one carl zeiss jena tessar and one pratikar 2.8/135mm with aperture problems....
only the russian and contax/yashica lenses are again living ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: opinion sought on planar vs pancolar Reply with quote

kansalliskala wrote:
rbelyell wrote:
Contax Zeiss 50mm f1.7 Planar T* AE Lens

I thought it hits mirror? Didn't buy one because of that .. Confused

on my eos 5d mark ii, it doesn't hit the mirror....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zebra Pancolar ≠ MC Pancolar

there are three Pacolar 50/1.8 designs:

1. zebra - thoriated (6/4)
2. zebra - non-thoriated (6/4)
3. MC (6/5)

I didn't make any test or comparision, so I can't tell how significant is the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know. Everybody says that the MC pancolar hasn't thoriated element.

Well, I had one MC in red and very yellowish glass when I bought it. As I read for the takumars, I put the lens under UV light several times for a week or two each time.

I sold it and was clear like the water. Not thoriated element? Perhaps, but under the UV light it was more clear, no more yellow. Why?

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now i guess we have a different element here: the different pancolar versions! i have a non zebra electric mc from ddr. does that change anyone's opinion of it's quality vs the 1.7 planar???? what are peoples thoughts about the different pancolar models?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I forgot you already had the Pancolar. I guess in your case the question is going to be "Are you happy with the performance of the Pancolar?". If so, I wouldn't worry about buying any other lens in that focal length / speed as you already have one of the best Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrek wrote:
Tony, I forgot you already had the Pancolar. I guess in your case the question is going to be "Are you happy with the performance of the Pancolar?". If so, I wouldn't worry about buying any other lens in that focal length / speed as you already have one of the best Smile

+1.

Red MC? More warm.

White MC? Less warm.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shrek: does that include the planar 1.4--im really thinking about that unless you recommend that it will not be a great improvement.

rino: how do i identify a 'red' vs 'white' pancolar?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's easy:

See the front of the lens.

The MC written is red or white. No more than this. But work.

Rino.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, ok; its white, which is good because i didnt think it was warm...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
shrek: does that include the planar 1.4--im really thinking about that unless you recommend that it will not be a great improvement

Um, it depends what you want to do with it. The Planar 50/1.4 is expensive because it's a nice 3D zeiss and it has the wide f1.4 aperture for low light shooting. Unless you will shoot at f1.4 (which isn't that sharp, understandably) then there's probably not a lot of point in spending the £150.00 - £200.00 required to get one on top of your existing Pancolar.

As the results earlier in the thread show, the Pancolar and Planar are very similar so I guess it depends how much money you have to throw around Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, to be fair, the comparison was with the planar 1.7 not the 1.4 version. looking at yours and others results, it appeared to me that the 1.4 is really a unique lens, with its own color profile and very sharp with good contrast. i guess i am not overly impressed with my pancolar. perhaps i havent used it enough and/or in enough different situations to make that judgement definitively, but that was my initial impression. after all the good things members have said about it, i think i need to use the lens more and in diverse situations before making a final judgement about its quality. but, in any event, it does appear to me that there is much unique about the 1.4....perhaps i will think about getting one for a good price, comparing myself, and then selling the loser!