Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

opinion sought on planar vs pancolar-RESOLVED
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will tell you my own experience with the pancolar 1,8/50.

It's a lens with a very good resolution corner to corner (sure, not the best but very good). Very good contrast and more or less warm according to which version it is.

Till here, all OK. But I didn't find a pic taken with the pancolar in front of which I could say WOW, I like it. All were nice but not very good. Now I feel happy with the S-M-C 1,4/50.

humbly, I think that if you want to go for a win look for a Leica or Zeiss lens. You will not be wrong. But if you want to be moderate in the cost, pancolar, takumar, mamiya, yashica are a good base to try.

Good luck. Rino.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah rino, that's kind of what i am seeing, though i dont think ive taken enough pictures w pancolar in enough situations to finally say so. the pictures are 'nice', even 'good', but not 'wow', thats exactly how i feel. now, when i see pix w the tak 1.4 or the planar, i see a lens with a special character, pictures that look a special way. again, i need to use the pancolar more, but at 50mm i do want a 'wow' lens!
t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
....it appeared to me that the 1.4 ( Planar ) is really a unique lens, with its own color profile and very sharp with good contrast....
----------------------------
....now, when i see pix w the tak 1.4 or the planar, i see a lens with a special character, pictures that look a special way. again, i need to use the pancolar more, but at 50mm i do want a 'wow' lens!

my experience is limited, don't have any with the Planars rbelyell
From various 50/55mm incl. the 1.8 Pancolar ( also white MC ) whenever I use the 1.4 Takumar it feels like a homecoming.
The images it produces looks very natural to me, well ballanced. Maybe without any particular wow factor - other than just being right Very Happy

Which 50mm satisfies you may come down to personal preferances. Planar is tops, the contrast, the colors...

..one day I will get one too Wink

Last edited by kuuan on Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan thank you, i know what you mean. i notice that you have a super tak 50mm 1.4 and a super multi coated tak 50mm 1.4--which do you prefer and why?
thanks
tony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
kuuan thank you, i know what you mean. i notice that you have a super tak 50mm 1.4 and a super multi coated tak 50mm 1.4--which do you prefer and why?
thanks
tony

hm..difficult to say tony
first I had the Super Tak but once I got the S-M-C I stuck to it. I had liked the warmer colors of the somewhat yellowed glass of the S-M-C ( which now have gone )

I believe that the superior coating of the S-M-C should make it more consistent, maybe it sometimes adds to what looks natural, ballanced to me.

about the versions, you may know:
- late model Super Taks also have the S-M-C of the
- S-M-C, and these two share the same full metal body,
- the later SMC is optically ident but has a rubber focus ring

Last edited by kuuan on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Pancolar 50/1.8, 50/2, Supertak 50/1.4 and Contax 50/1.4.

The latter two were on about 2-3 times on my camera (even if the Planar is way better than the Tak). Pancolar is always on. If I'd have to choose a 1.4 I'd go with my Tomokia 55/1.4, far better personality.

Maybe I'm biased about european lenses but I feel they suit my shooting a lot better. Sharpness isn't everything.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm

West german, or Japanese? I only ask as both my f1.4MM and f1.7AE Planars are made in japan?

Doug.

Shrek wrote:
I'm become physically attached to my Planar 50/1.4 Very Happy Sharpness and bokeh is incredible Smile If you go the M42 Pancolar route, pay more for a definite good one! I've been through 4 Pancolars so far, all with focusing or aperture issues. Two were badly yellowed as well...never had a probem with a West German Zeiss though Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Hmm

West german, or Japanese? I only ask as both my f1.4MM and f1.7AE Planars are made in japan?

Doug.

Shrek wrote:
I'm become physically attached to my Planar 50/1.4 Very Happy Sharpness and bokeh is incredible Smile If you go the M42 Pancolar route, pay more for a definite good one! I've been through 4 Pancolars so far, all with focusing or aperture issues. Two were badly yellowed as well...never had a probem with a West German Zeiss though Wink

Aha! I'm presuming it's a West German copy as it's AE, but I'm not certain! Will check tonight Smile I should have phrased it "I've never had a problem with West German or Japanese Zeiss" Wink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello and thanks to all. i just this moment won a planar 50mm 1.4 on ebay for $239usd!!! thats about $100 less than i have been seeing them sell for, so needless to say, i am thrilled! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy now on to obtain an adapter from alex!
thanks again!
tony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, great news
congrats, I am sure you will love this lens!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, it's my favourite lens at the moment Cool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! shrek, your pictures posted with this lens, as well as some others ive seen here, were what excited my enthusiasm for this lens. i just never thought i would get one for this price...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Hmm

Doug.

Shrek wrote:

There is no Contax Planar 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 "Made in Germany" .. all of them are AEJ or MMJ Wink

German made ones can be found on Rollei mounts...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
......From various 50/55mm incl. the 1.8 Pancolar ( also white MC ) whenever I use the 1.4 Takumar it feels like a homecoming.
The images it produces looks very natural to me, well ballanced. Maybe without any particular wow factor - other than just being right Very Happy...

In one world plenty of lenses with extra contrast, super saturated colors, megapower of resolution, more real that the reality.....What beautilull (sometimes too much)

It's nice to find a lens, like the SMC 1,4, with which the things are taken like they are. Old SMC 1,4 and old summilux M 1,4, the things like they are..... Laughing Laughing

Regards, Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
kuuan wrote:
......From various 50/55mm incl. the 1.8 Pancolar ( also white MC ) whenever I use the 1.4 Takumar it feels like a homecoming.
The images it produces looks very natural to me, well ballanced. Maybe without any particular wow factor - other than just being right Very Happy...

In one world plenty of lenses with extra contrast, super saturated colors, megapower of resolution, more real that the reality.....What beautilull (sometimes too much)

It's nice to find a lens, like the SMC 1,4, with which the things are taken like they are. Old SMC 1,4 and old summilux M 1,4, the things like they are..... Laughing Laughing

Regards, Rino.

ha Rino, I don't know the Summilux, an M lens..
but how very well you express how I too feel about the SMC Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing

Thanks Kuuan.

It sounds like a publicity. Laughing Laughing

Rino.