Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

one simply question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: one simply question Reply with quote

what is the best 85mm lens (landscape) to use on Eos 5D2 ?

best = sharp from corner to corner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi

85 mm is rarelly used for landscape ,it s better for portraiture
all my 75_90mm are sharp in the center and soft in corner wide open ,it s bettre stopping down a few
i can t help you cause i never stop them down past f5.6/f8 and only for short distance shoots

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one simple question and one thousand different replies...

If money is not an obstacle then the Zeiss Planar T* 85/1.4 ZE is hard to beat. The Planar construction is optimized at medium to infinity focusing distance, lens sweet spot is at f/4 to f/5.6

I have made gigapanoramas and landscapes at f/5.6 to f/11 with excellent results. Of course you need to pay attention to depth of field, stop down to achieve sufficient DoF and bring detail.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMDBill wrote:
hi

85 mm is rarelly used for landscape ,it s better for portraiture
all my 75_90mm are sharp in the center and soft in corner wide open ,it s bettre stopping down a few
i can t help you cause i never stop them down past f5.6/f8 and only for short distance shoots

I think metallaro1980 can decide for himself which focal length he wants to use for landscape. Many FL's are used for landscape, from fisheye to 200mm or longer (not just wideangles...).

I think the Contax Sonnar 85/2.8 could be good for landscape. The Contax Sonnar 100/3.5 is reputedly sharper and bit more so across the frame, but that obviously isn't a 85mm. Both the Contax or new Zeiss ZE 85/1.4 and 100/2 (esp. the latter) are better but require a higher budget.

I don't know much about infinity performance of other 85's. I'm sure there are some plenty sharp 85/90mm's from other brands, but IMO the Contax/Zeiss is one of the best choices to extract a lot of detail from landscapes because of the high microcontrast their lenses have.

The Canon TS-E 90/2.8 may be one to consider too. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the Mamiya 645 Sekor 1,9/80 could be considered. 80, not 85, but....
I like that lens a lot. Drawback is, that you will need an adapter, that might be more expensive, than many other adapters and it is not a small lens.

Klaus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best one is the one that you can afford!

JJ

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you.

Would buy a P6 lens. Like the Vega or Volna.
Then the P6->EOS tilt shift adapter.

That way you will get more control on your plane.

These lenses are cheap and very well built.
(Loving my Vega).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the new Korean lens marketed by Vivitar, Falcon, and others compare to the other classics?

By the way, the Vivitar (Tokina) 90mm Series 1 is actually 87mm and famously sharp.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can advise Biometar 80/2.8 from P6. I suppose never tested that it haven't problems with corner to corner sharpness. Not so pricey and with good adapter is infinity maintained.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bang for the buck: the Samyang 85mm f/1.4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Best bang for the buck: the Samyang 85mm f/1.4

That's the Korean lens I was asking about.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a search here on "Samyang 85mm" you'll get lots of hits, many with photos. It is a very impressive lens.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: one simply question Reply with quote

metallaro1980 wrote:
what is the best 85mm lens (landscape) to use on Eos 5D2 ?

best = sharp from corner to corner

Voigtlaender Apo-Lanthar 3.5/90
You get sharpness + no purple fringes on high contrast edges
(which you would get from non-apo lenses)
Hard to beat as landscape lens.

AMDBill wrote:
hi
85 mm is rarelly used for landscape

hm... I don't agree. I use it often for landscapes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For landscapes, consider slower 85mm lenses like Contax Zeiss Sonnar 85/2.8 (C/Y mount) or the already mentioned Voigtlaender Apo-Lanthar 90/3.5.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try an enlarger lens in the 80-105mm range, on bellows. My favorites are an Apos Elgeet 90/4.5 and a Novoflex Noflexar 105/3.5. Hooded, of course. Or for more versatility, a Schneider Betavaron 50-125 enlarger zoom. For B&W 'scapes with an old-time feel, I may use a Zeiss Tessar 80/2.8 that likely came from an old Ikonta, and a light violet filter to emulate early film emulsions. More conventionally, my Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro is a gem.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: one simply question Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

Voigtlaender Apo-Lanthar 3.5/90
You get sharpness + no purple fringes on high contrast edges
(which you would get from non-apo lenses)
Hard to beat as landscape lens.

Another vote from me as well. Totally forgot the SL II version is available inexpensively new Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Volna-3.

Closing at f5.6 or f8, some others are very good from corner to corner.
Samyang 85 1.4.
Even the Helios-40 is to consider from f5.6 to f11.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest Leica Elmarit-R 90mm late version. I have not compared it to CZ 85/2.8 but it is highly regarded and photodo rates it among the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.8D

It's a full frame lens, has virtually no CA or distortion, and superb sharpness.

You can get a Nikon -> EOS converter, and manually focus it.

Review:
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/100/cat/12

Great lens for low light!!