Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Non-SMC triplets
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Non-SMC triplets Reply with quote

I have been using some old triplets for UV work. In comparing them to SMC modern lenses, I find that they pass more visible light as well as more UV. Since coatings often increase the passage of light, I suppose the fewer glass interfaces account for the triplets' efficacy.

I use the following:

Schneider-Kreuznach Jsogon 40mm 4.5
Ludwig Meritar 50mm 2.9
CZJ Triotar 13.5cm 4.0
Isco-Gottingen Isconar 100mm 4.5

The Meritar and Isconar take in so much light that at night most of the town suffers a temporary brown out as incandescent bulbs yield to the Meritar's momentary black hole. At midday the street lights come on for a moment in a three-block radius of my camera, whenever I click the shutter. I've tried stopping the lenses down until they scream, but with no measurable effect. As I type, the town council is drafting an anti-triplet ordinance - restricting the use of triplet lenses to the hours of 1:00 am to 5:00 am.

Have others also encountered these problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think that walking in the sun without applying sunscreen could cook your brains.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Reed,

no many here will understand what you talk about .... Wink Wink

An uncoated lens surface takes about 4% of light, so for a triplet (uncoated) that would be 6 x 4% = 24% so I honestly doubt the lights went off...

SMS shoudl reduce that to ca 0.3% per surface, so that would theroretically be 1.8% - BUT you won't hardly see any UV anymore...

Welcome here btw.!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus,

I am new here. Six months ago, if someone said "Manual Focus", I'd have assumed they were discussing a Mexican revolutionary. Now, after having to manually focus daily, I am a deep well of ignorance.

I do like the triplets, though. BTW, if I have a faux triplet (4 elements/3 groups) does the resin cement interface for the rear group require light transmission calculations for eight surfaces, six surfaces, or ten surfaces?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overmywaders wrote:

I do like the triplets, though. BTW, if I have a faux triplet (4 elements/3 groups) does the resin cement interface for the rear group require light transmission calculations for eight surfaces, six surfaces, or ten surfaces?

The problem is the cement to glue the elements, it BLOCKS efficiently UV!

Last edited by kds315* on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overmywaders - I think you went in over your waders to cause the street lights to change. Laughing

In any case, funny story! Good to see you here!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence,

Great inventions and discoveries are often met with skepticism. I recall that my invention of the Pisscalator raised similar problems. See http://www.overmywaders.com/cblog/archives/89-The-Pisscalator-Illustrated.html

Klaus,

I did some checking. The 4 element/ 3 group lens I am referring to is old, and probably cemented with Canada Balsam, so transmission for my purposes - 340-400nm - should be excellent. Canada Balsam has approx. 90% transmission at 340nm+; but plummets almost straight down in the shorter wavelengths, reaching 0% transmission by 290nm.

I'm thinking that, since optical crown glass has an index of refraction of 1.5339 at 435.8nm and Canada Balsam has an index of refraction of 1.54; and they share almost the same transmission rate in high UVA, I can just consider the faux triplet as a true triplet, ignoring the additional interfaces. Does that make sense?

Thanks.

Regards,
Reed