Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

No pictures yet- just lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: No pictures yet- just lenses Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
Been reading these forums for only a week and signed up today. Great forum BTW.
Since lurking on this forum, I can see the writing on the wall- 3 lenses already.
Anyway, I picked up 3 lenses today for $60 and hope I may find that one or all will give satisfactory, OK, maybe better than satisfactory results.
I figured I will see what the cheap stuff is capable of before chasing bigger money options.

I've seen very little info about these lenses that I picked up and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them.
The lenses are a EBC Fujinon 28/3.5, EBC Fujinon 100/2.8, and a Yashinon-DS 50/1.9.

Thanks for any input you may have, good or bad. Now I just need that darned adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: No pictures yet- just lenses Reply with quote

cdf294 wrote:
Hi everyone.
Been reading these forums for only a week and signed up today. Great forum BTW.
Since lurking on this forum, I can see the writing on the wall- 3 lenses already.
Anyway, I picked up 3 lenses today for $60 and hope I may find that one or all will give satisfactory, OK, maybe better than satisfactory results.
I figured I will see what the cheap stuff is capable of before chasing bigger money options.

I've seen very little info about these lenses that I picked up and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with them.
The lenses are a EBC Fujinon 28/3.5, EBC Fujinon 100/2.8, and a Yashinon-DS 50/1.9.

Thanks for any input you may have, good or bad. Now I just need that darned adapter.

Wellcome to the forum.

I envy you since you are able to buy these three lens in dirty cheap price. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yashinon is a very interesting lens. Stop it down to f2.8 for decent sharpness. The lens produces some nice swirly bokeh, if It's the lens I'm thinking of Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The yashinon is a very interesting lens. Stop it down to f2.8 for decent sharpness. The lens produces some nice swirly bokeh, if It's the lens I'm thinking of Smile

No swirlies, you've just been on the sauce again!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

No swirlies, you've just been on the sauce again!

More than likely! Laughing Laughing

Here's the swirls...

http://forum.mflenses.com/more-of-autumn-t21744,highlight,autumn+colours.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two EBC Fujinons are extremely nice lenses, both of them. The 28mm is sharp all over, very contrasty, superb colors and almost no flare. The 100mm is superb; I have a non-EBC version, and it's just great as a portrait lens. Sharp and contrasty even wide open. The EBC lens is supposedly even better. You won't be disappointed. Shall you decide to sell them, the 28mm can easily fetch $60-80, and the 100mm can run as high as $150.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good results with the Yashinon DS 50/1.9 lens. Interestingly, there was also a Yashinon DS 50/2 lens, which I believe inherited its optical design from the earlier Yashinon DX series.

Exactly why a 50/1.9 was created is not clear to me, but the mounted 50/1.9 extends a lesser distance into the camera body. There are instances now where a 50/2 mounted via adapter onto a DSLR will have mirror interference whereas a 50/1.9 will not.

See http://www.panoramaplanet.de/comp/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
The two EBC Fujinons are extremely nice lenses, both of them. The 28mm is sharp all over, very contrasty, superb colors and almost no flare. The 100mm is superb; I have a non-EBC version, and it's just great as a portrait lens. Sharp and contrasty even wide open. The EBC lens is supposedly even better. You won't be disappointed. Shall you decide to sell them, the 28mm can easily fetch $60-80, and the 100mm can run as high as $150.

+1 ... I bought an EBC Fujinon 28/3.5 almost by mistake, because it was sold in a set with an EBC 55/3.5 Macro, and still i didn't regret ... Will try to post some sample shots wide open as soon as i will get a bit more free time ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or one could have Yashica ML 50/2 and 50/1.9 for a song, both much better lenses in contrast, flare control and color reproduction than the earlier Yashinons.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses and opinions- I appreciate it.
Sounds like I might have done pretty well for $60.

I hope to have an adapter in the next week or so and then I can try them out.

indianadinos- would love to see some samples when/if you get time.

Thanks again everyone!