Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NIKON FE2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: NIKON FE2 Reply with quote

Dear,

Please share your experience about FE2, Nikon.
I have one with MF lenses.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Nikon FE series Reply with quote

Welcome!

My only personal experience is that if one drops one on one's foot, the camera survives unscathed but not one's foot... Sad

If you need manuals and stuff for cameras including Nikons, this guy has them on-line and downloadable - and deserves a few dollars for each as he works very hard to locate, scan and make more available!

Welcome to the wonderful world of manual lenses!

Doug.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/nikon.htm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the FE and FE2, both in black finish and exemplary conditions, but have to say I prefer the FE even though it has a slower shutter crossing speed.

A colleague said, "The FE2 is good on paper, but the FE is great in metal."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone that has an FE2. He rarely uses it now as he's switched to digital. It looks a nice camera, but I really don't know much about it other than it costs a fortune if you need the shutter repaired. I'll see if he'll post a review.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: ?? Reply with quote

Hi Seele,

You mention your friend's word:
A colleague said, "The FE2 is good on paper, but the FE is great in metal."
What does it mean???

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only use the FE2 without using the FE then it would be a moot point, but if you use them at the same time you would see some of the changes made are not totally helpful.

1. The deletion of the disengageable Ai-coupling arm means that earlier lenses cannot be used.

2. While being a feature to help the novice, the FE2 does not allow the meter to function until the frame counter reaches "1", with shutter forced to run at its mechanical speed.

3. The independent battery test feature has been deleted.

However, the film speed setting and exposure compensation arrangement has seen the most significant changes between the FE and FE2, but in my opinion, both fell short of the ideal:

On the FE, setting film speed needs a small chrome button towards the back of the top plate to be pressed, and to make exposure compensations, you lift the whiole dial and turn it. The amount of compensation is marked against a tiny red dot at the perimeter of the rim and it is very difficult to read in a hurry.

On the FE2, the arrangement is reversed, and the index mark against which the amount of exposure compensation is set is larger and on the top plate itself. However, its release button is small and poorly placed, making one-handed setting difficult.

Ideally, the film speed scale should be covered with a cut-out showing the set speed, eliminating visual interference, an improvement seen when the Chinon CE Memotron became the CE-II Memotron. The compensation release and setting should also be easy to be operated with one hand, and without obscuring the scale when doing this setting. There are many cameras which are far superior in design compared to these two models.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply put; the FE2 is my favorite film camera in the Nikon line.

It shoots up 1/4000, has depth of field preview, flash synch @250 but I beleive it only has 92% view finder image. I dont mind this, because once you are use to the camera you can predict the outcome 99.9 % of the time. This camera is also built like a tank. Very Happy

Are there better Nikon film cameras: for sure, but I prefer this model. Very Happy

I love this camera.

Last edited by spiralcity on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:12 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
If you only use the FE2 without using the FE then it would be a moot point, but if you use them at the same time you would see some of the changes made are not totally helpful.

1. The deletion of the disengageable Ai-coupling arm means that earlier lenses cannot be used.

2. While being a feature to help the novice, the FE2 does not allow the meter to function until the frame counter reaches "1", with shutter forced to run at its mechanical speed.

3. The independent battery test feature has been deleted.

However, the film speed setting and exposure compensation arrangement has seen the most significant changes between the FE and FE2, but in my opinion, both fell short of the ideal:

On the FE, setting film speed needs a small chrome button towards the back of the top plate to be pressed, and to make exposure compensations, you lift the whiole dial and turn it. The amount of compensation is marked against a tiny red dot at the perimeter of the rim and it is very difficult to read in a hurry.

On the FE2, the arrangement is reversed, and the index mark against which the amount of exposure compensation is set is larger and on the top plate itself. However, its release button is small and poorly placed, making one-handed setting difficult.

Ideally, the film speed scale should be covered with a cut-out showing the set speed, eliminating visual interference, an improvement seen when the Chinon CE Memotron became the CE-II Memotron. The compensation release and setting should also be easy to be operated with one hand, and without obscuring the scale when doing this setting. There are many cameras which are far superior in design compared to these two models.

I own both and I like both, but I disagree with your argument. FE2 is my favored film camera and I own over 20 film cameras.

1. Chrome button is not even an issue. I find myself shooting from a tripod 99% of the time. actually I would advise this to everybody whos seroious about shooting. I know ther are times you cant or simply dont want to haul a tripod with you, but it's good advise.

So one-handed setting capability is a moot point IMO.

2. The frame counter issue? Again, hand held meters do the work for me, not the camera. So IMO this is not an issue in the slightest, even if I relied on the cameras meter I would find this to be no problem.

IMO all your point are very small and truly dont affect a photographer in the slightest, at least not from my standpoint.

I highly recommend this camera! I've been using it for years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

I own both and I like both, but I disagree with your argument. FE2 is my favored film camera and I own over 20 film cameras.

1. Chrome button is not even an issue. I find myself shooting from a tripod 99% of the time. actually I would advise this to everybody whos seroious about shooting. I know ther are times you cant or simply dont want to haul a tripod with you, but it's good advise.

2. The frame counter issue? Again, hand held meters do the work for me, not the camera. So IMO this is not an issue in the slightest, even if I relied on the cameras meter I would find this to be no problem.

IMO all your point are very small and truly dont affect a photographer in the slightest, at least not from my standpoint.

Spiralcity,

Your points are indeed valid, but there again, the validity of any point has to be within the context too. For my 35mm work it is mainly reportage, documentary style, and the cameras rarely (if ever) see a tripod, so to me, responsiveness is of paramount importance, For the sort of work requring a tripod I tend to use 4"x5", or at least medium format anyway.

The film counter issue is a little more complex: before it reaches "1" the whole electrical system is shut off which includes the shutter timing system, so the shutter runs at the default mechanical speed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

Spiralcity,

Your points are indeed valid, but there again, the validity of any point has to be within the context too. For my 35mm work it is mainly reportage, documentary style, and the cameras rarely (if ever) see a tripod, so to me, responsiveness is of paramount importance, For the sort of work requring a tripod I tend to use 4"x5", or at least medium format anyway.

The film counter issue is a little more complex: before it reaches "1" the whole electrical system is shut off which includes the shutter timing system, so the shutter runs at the default mechanical speed.

Do you not advance your counter to 1? I tend to do this with every camera I load out of pure habit. I tighten the slack of the film and then advance and shoot until Im at 1. This was how I was taught since my early days in High School.

Quote:
For the sort of work requring a tripod I tend to use 4"x5", or at least medium format anyway

I feel all photographic situations STRONGLY benefits from a tripod. No matter if you shoot 35mm, medium or large format.

I do understand there are times you cant use a tripod, being a reporter is a one such reason, but understanding the camera's quirks and how to work around them with complete satisfaction is paramount to all camera gear.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an FE2 along with an FA and they were both ultra reliable superb handling machines built like tanks,I still get tempted every time I see one in a second hand display

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used my FE 2 for sometimes now (almost 15 years), absolutely a pleasure to use (specially with the MD12). Very Happy

Though recently I have had a surprising problem (it is I think one off and cannot be generalized).... The LR44 batteries on the camera are not lasting longer than 10 rolls (happened for three sets of batteries). Sad

Hoping it is the battery and not the camera. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shiladitya wrote:
I have used my FE 2 for sometimes now (almost 15 years), absolutely a pleasure to use (specially with the MD12). Very Happy

Though recently I have had a surprising problem (it is I think one off and cannot be generalized).... The LR44 batteries on the camera are not lasting longer than 10 rolls (happened for three sets of batteries). Sad

Hoping it is the battery and not the camera. Rolling Eyes

Have all the batteries been from the same package? If so, it most likley is a old set of batteries.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL a whole bunch of FE heads in one place.

I bought a pair of used bodies a couple of years back, to good of a price to pass up. One FE2 and FE.

I always thought the difference in ISO, and Exp Comp was kind of weird, but just kind got used to it. Like wise the arrangement of the lock for the film rewind knob, the tab to prevent lifting and opening the back cover by accident.

I also found the FE2 refussing to meter until frame 1. On other bodies I can usually screeze 1 or 2 more whole frames on a roll.

I do find both of the cameras are very tempermental with weak batteries, with a tendancy to lockup with the shutter open and the mirror up.

Of the other 4 bodies I have, I find the FE2 metering works best for my shooting style.

One question, I have asked else where, but didn't get a useful explaination. Both the FE2 and FE focus early at infinity relative to lens barrel markings. Small focal lenses being worse than long focal lengths. Has anyone else noticed? or should I pursue this in a separate thread

David R

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome David!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David R wrote:
LOL a whole bunch of FE heads in one place.

I bought a pair of used bodies a couple of years back, to good of a price to pass up. One FE2 and FE.

I always thought the difference in ISO, and Exp Comp was kind of weird, but just kind got used to it. Like wise the arrangement of the lock for the film rewind knob, the tab to prevent lifting and opening the back cover by accident.

I also found the FE2 refussing to meter until frame 1. On other bodies I can usually screeze 1 or 2 more whole frames on a roll.

I do find both of the cameras are very tempermental with weak batteries, with a tendancy to lockup with the shutter open and the mirror up.

Of the other 4 bodies I have, I find the FE2 metering works best for my shooting style.

One question, I have asked else where, but didn't get a useful explaination. Both the FE2 and FE focus early at infinity relative to lens barrel markings. Small focal lenses being worse than long focal lengths. Has anyone else noticed? or should I pursue this in a separate thread

David R

Hi David,
Sorry it took so long to respond. I havent noticed this on my Nikon bodies. Perhaps if you start a thread about this, others will chime in with more info for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes I seem to have finally stepped on a FE aution that stuck to the bottom of my shoe... so I can finally be a real nikonian Smile (The EM doesn't seem to count...)

My only two lenses are the Worst Nikon Lens Ever (the 43-something zoom, non AI) and Not A Real Nikkor series E 50. Oh and I do have an Adaptall-2 for Nikon.

Shocked and I had just resolved not to lurch sideways any longer, and go for something truly diffrent and forward-moving: a modern medium format cam, a truly good ultra wide for the K/M42, or getting my Zuikos fixed and playing with the OM for a bit.

But the EM seems just so good, and those pre AI's have been making eyes at me for a year now... Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my delicious side-step already arrived... and wow, these Nikons are amazingly thoroughly thought through. Of course everything is backwards compared to the Pentaxes and Spotmatics I'm used to. Barely got my lens mounted (missed the mount the first time Wink) and it probably will need new seals, but do I care. Film's already in it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Oh my delicious side-step already arrived... and wow, these Nikons are amazingly thoroughly thought through. Of course everything is backwards compared to the Pentaxes and Spotmatics I'm used to. Barely got my lens mounted (missed the mount the first time Wink) and it probably will need new seals, but do I care. Film's already in it.

I hope you enjoy this camera. I love my FE2... Very Happy
It was the workhorse of my film cameras for many years.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished my first roll... let's see if it leaks light.

So far, I'm loving the camera - the frame advance has a charming purr unlike any other camera I use, the view finder works well and has a ton of info. I'm not crazy about the F bayonet however - it turns the 'wrong' way Laughing and isn't as ergonomic as the other cameras I own.

The 43-86 zoom's an early pre Ai beat up clunker. I mounted it - a tight job - and the focus is stiff, the aperture ring is stiff, but it does work on the FE.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Just finished my first roll... let's see if it leaks light.

So far, I'm loving the camera - the frame advance has a charming purr unlike any other camera I use, the view finder works well and has a ton of info. I'm not crazy about the F bayonet however - it turns the 'wrong' way Laughing and isn't as ergonomic as the other cameras I own.

The 43-86 zoom's an early pre Ai beat up clunker. I mounted it - a tight job - and the focus is stiff, the aperture ring is stiff, but it does work on the FE.

43-86 is not a very good lens... Sad
Hopefully you'll be able to nail a few good pics with it. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Fe 2 With other lenses Reply with quote

Hi there, just wanted to know if anyone out here with an FE 2 that has manage to successfully mount or use any other non ai lenses on this camera? for example, m42 with adapter, canon fd etc etc?

I have read that the meter coupling is an issue. But has anyone mount other lenses on them anyway, without damaging their meter coupling?

Help needed as i am tempted by one of this FE 2 but would like to use other non ai lenses from my collection.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FE and FM are unique in the series in that they can use non AI Nikon mount lenses - in either stop-down automatic, or manual exposure mode.

The FE2 et al lost this ability.

AFAIK very few other camera mounts can be cross-mounted to Nikon, due to register distance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
The FE and FM are unique in the series in that they can use non AI Nikon mount lenses - in either stop-down automatic, or manual exposure mode.

The FE2 et al lost this ability.

AFAIK very few other camera mounts can be cross-mounted to Nikon, due to register distance.

Hmm i am aware of the lack of cross mounting due to the flange distance,
but what i wanted to try is to not waste my m42 collection, hence i am thinking of the m42 to nikon F mount adapters. I am aware that i might be losing infinity focus, this is not quite a problem to me for now.

But what i would like to know is if that the FE2 would be able to mount and take these m42 with an adapter and work with stop down metering.
Has any one have any experience on this?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zav wrote:
But what i would like to know is if that the FE2 would be able to mount and take these m42 with an adapter and work with stop down metering.
Has any one have any experience on this?

Look for the KOOP M42 adapter to Nikon F. I've seen some great images
with that adapter. It is Japanese-made, I think, and has a good piece of
optical glass for infinity focus.