Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NIKON FE2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that KOOD m42 to nikon adapter, Bill?

Here is one link > http://www.flickr.com/groups/d200m42/discuss/72157621973711410/

I think one place in England is still selling this adapter, though my memory
is fading as you get more senior citizen. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Isn't that KOOD m42 to nikon adapter, Bill?

Here is one link > http://www.flickr.com/groups/d200m42/discuss/72157621973711410/

I think one place in England is still selling this adapter, though my memory
is fading as you get more senior citizen. Very Happy

Oh geez, here I am with misinformation! Yes, Koji-san, KOOD. Embarassed

In two more days I will be eligible for the senior citizen discount at Publix. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to "the club", Bill-san. Very Happy

In Canada any prescription drugs are basically free, though you have to
pay dispensing fee of $6.11 for each drug. Although the fist $100 is paid,
this applies, but it really helps me.

Transportation fee is half, which also helps after joining the club.
I am not sure whether the similar things are available in U.S.A.

Sorry OP, I talk too much.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koji-san, Publix offers discounts to those 60 years on up, and I have two more years before retirement. I'm retired military and meds cost $3 for generic and $9 for trade, but I'm not on any meds, whatsoever, knock on wood. Laughing Meds are free if I drove out to the base pharmacy to have them filled.

Mass transit seems to suck around here, from what I can tell.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response and input guys, but has anyone tried mounting the adapter for m42 on the Nikon FE2 film camera? Does it cause any permanent damage to the meter coupling? As i have read that mounting NON-AI lenses on the FE2 is not recommended.
Sad

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zav,

I do not think there is any trouble to mount M42->F mount adapter,
I often do it. Although I have never owned FE2, instead FM2.
So I cannot be 100% sure whether it causes any damage to your FE2
when you mount that adapter, which is very thin adapter if they do not
have correction lens.

I use M42->F mount adapter for some close up for M42 lens with
Nikon cameras, mine does not have a correction lens.

KOOD has a correction lens for M42 lens to achieve an infinity focus.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Zav,

I do not think there is any trouble to mount M42->F mount adapter,
I often do it. Although I have never owned FE2, instead FM2.
So I cannot be 100% sure whether it causes any damage to your FE2
when you mount that adapter, which is very thin adapter if they do not
have correction lens.

I use M42->F mount adapter for some close up for M42 lens with
Nikon cameras, mine does not have a correction lens.

KOOD has a correction lens for M42 lens to achieve an infinity focus.

Thanks for that koji,
However, have u tried mounting the m42 to f adapter on your FM2? does it fit? If it does, without any damage or whatsoever, then i might be able to do it on the FE2 as the FE2 and FM2 has the same meter coupling thing on the front.
It is this meter coupling thing that i am worried that might be damage as i have read mounting non ai-ed lenses on them will damage the meter coupling.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of those wafer-thin M42>Nikon F adapters when I had the D70
and D50. The adapter presents all M42 lenses as Ai'd ones, so no problem.
No infinity focus, as I remember it cut off at about 30 feet. Now the KOOD
adapter with its high quality glass element would be the way to go for
infinity focus, and would be more robustly made, too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
I had one of those wafer-thin M42>Nikon F adapters when I had the D70
and D50. The adapter presents all M42 lenses as Ai'd ones, so no problem.
No infinity focus, as I remember it cut off at about 30 feet. Now the KOOD
adapter with its high quality glass element would be the way to go for
infinity focus, and would be more robustly made, too.

Thanks for that!
I shall now hunt for a nice FE2 to play with as i am slowly getting myself into the world of Nikons.
The reason i wanted to use m42 lenses is i would not want to waste my current collection and i am not all familiar with nikon lenses yet nor have the massive budget to start acquiring them at once. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zav wrote:
Thanks for the response and input guys, but has anyone tried mounting the adapter for m42 on the Nikon FE2 film camera? Does it cause any permanent damage to the meter coupling? As i have read that mounting NON-AI lenses on the FE2 is not recommended.
Sad

Any ideas?

You can easily convert your non-ai to ai. This is the best way to go IMO. As far as using M42 lenses, the Nikons are really not the best match because of register distance.

There is an adaptor with a added lens in it that will give you infinity focus ability but you will lose a bit of quality in your image. Not much, most people would never notice the difference, but you may, so it depends on what is exceptable to you.

As far as the adaptor hurting your camera, I couldnt really answer because I dont shoot like this. I have in the past and my Nikon is fine, but I dont do it often and I havent done it in many years,

Heres the adaptor on my MIR

Heres the MIR on my FE2

Last edited by spiralcity on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:23 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was shot with D700 + M42 CZ Color Ultron 50/1.8, close up only.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woa! That's a nice picture Koji-san! Cool

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
Zav wrote:
Sad

Any ideas?

You can easily convert your non-ai to ai. This is the best way to go IMO. As far as using M42 lenses, the Nikons are really not the best match because of register distance.

There is an adaptor with a added lens in it that will give you infinity focus ability but you will lose a bit of quality in your image. Not much, most people would never notice the difference, but you may, so it depends on what is exceptable to you.

As far as the adaptor hurting your camera, I couldnt really answer because I dont shoot like this. I have in the past and my Nikon is fine, but I dont do it often and I havent done it in many years,

Heres the MIR on my FE2

Thanks for the input and pic examples spiralcity.
At least now i know it is possible as i was unsure that if mounting the lens was possible with the meter coupling sticking out. Is there any resistance or forceful application was needed when you mounting the adapter+ lens to the camera? Wink

To koji: thats quite an awesome shot... ahh thats why i love m42s Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two M42 to Nikon adapters, one mechanical and one with optical adapter. Both fit my M42 glass to Nikon without problems, I can mount M42 glass to my FM2n, D70, D2x and D3.

Samples http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=m42+nikon&w=50441299%40N00&s=int

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zav wrote:
spiralcity wrote:
Zav wrote:
Sad

Any ideas?

Heres the MIR on my FE2

Thanks for the input and pic examples spiralcity.
At least now i know it is possible as i was unsure that if mounting the lens was possible with the meter coupling sticking out. Is there any resistance or forceful application was needed when you mounting the adapter+ lens to the camera? Wink

To koji: thats quite an awesome shot... ahh thats why i love m42s Laughing

There is no resistance, the adaptor goes on very smooth and "click locks" into place. I have used it in the past with no problems at all. My FE2 still works like a chanp. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:

Sorry to sidetrack here a bit.. I've been wondering if the Mir-1 and Mir-1B are somehow mechanically different..my Mir-1 (The GP version) does not permit infinity focusing with either of my optical Nikon-M42 adapters, one of them a Kood and one a Kipon (?). The rear element slams to the optical correcting element at around 6 meters..

Kipon M42-Nikon (which seems to be coated, btw)

and the unbranded M42-Nikon, most probably Kood

I haven't done extensive side-to-side comparisons with the adapters (need to however..) but at a quick glimpse both seem to work as expected, exhibiting similar optical qualities.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsr wrote:
spiralcity wrote:

Sorry to sidetrack here a bit.. I've been wondering if the Mir-1 and Mir-1B are somehow mechanically different..my Mir-1 (The GP version) does not permit infinity focusing with either of my optical Nikon-M42 adapters, one of them a Kood and one a Kipon (?). The rear element slams to the optical correcting element at around 6 meters..

Kipon M42-Nikon (which seems to be coated, btw)

and the unbranded M42-Nikon, most probably Kood

I haven't done extensive side-to-side comparisons with the adapters (need to however..) but at a quick glimpse both seem to work as expected, exhibiting similar optical qualities.

I used the Mir in the pics above just to demonstrate that a M42 on a adaptor will fit on the FE2, it was the closet lesn to the camera at the time. I dint try focusing with it, but I could and I will post back.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsr wrote:
The rear element slams to the optical correcting element at around 6 meters..

I can confirm experience that some M42 glass with protruding rear elements will hit the glass of the optical adapter and therefore not achieve infinity. This was the case with a Biotar 58/2 I can't remember which version. I cannot say about the Mir because I have not tried it.

Last edited by Esox lucius on Tue May 04, 2010 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked the Mir and it's a no-go, the rear element causes the problem.