Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor shift lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:59 am    Post subject: Nikkor shift lenses Reply with quote

Hi,
My friend will come back home from US, so I would like ask him belp buying Nikkor 28/3.5 PC and 35/2.8 PC.
Do you have any experience of them?
I get more information from Mir.com and Kenrockwell web site, How about your recommence?

Thank you Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good comparison between the Nikkor 35/2.8 PC and Olympus and Zeiss here: http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/35mm_shift/35mm_test1.html

Quote:
simple conclusion: don't buy the Nikon; if you can afford it, buy the Contax – if you can't, get the Olympus.

The Olympus can be Leitaxed to Nikon perhpaps. Smile

Last edited by AhamB on Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in the Nikkor PC lenses as well, I need something for indoor architecture.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help myself:
http://www.loreo.com/pages/products/loreo_pccap.html

PC lens. Only US$20!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless one wants:

- to use film
- to use digital but with absolute per pixel sharpness performance

I don't see the need in investing heavy money in a shift lens. Take a good normal 28mm or 35mm lens with little distortion, make a pano, and compose and straight in a pano application or in photoshop.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have the Nikkor 28 f3.5 --

It's very good lens..

I will try to dig out some samples --

tf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggboy wrote:
I can't help myself:
http://www.loreo.com/pages/products/loreo_pccap.html

PC lens. Only US$20!

Oh yes, the Loreo. Mine cost much more than US$20. I was a sucker. More recently, I bought a Schneider PC-Cinelux AV 60/2.8 for US$20. Its shifts are about as weak as the Loreo's, but it cost much less, and is better glass. In other words, they both suck as PC lenses.

There is only one good way to do PC with a miniature (35mm or APS-C) camera. Obtain a 4x5 or 5x7 or 8x10 LF view camera. Tilt and shift as needed. Aim the miniature camera lens at the LF groundglass. Shoot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The applications of older small format shift lenses are very limited - back then there was a big gap between them and view cameras, both monetary and in terms of learning curve, so that desperation drove architects, building engineers etc. to PC lenses for whenever they could not hire a photographer for some task.

But that gap has long been filled by post-production perspective correction, so that they effectively are obsolete unless you want to get into the infinitely small niche of slide-projected architectural photography. But that does not reflect in their prices, which still are outrageously high in relation to their limited capabilities.

If you use film (and that would be about the only excuse for a PC lens), the same money will now buy you a used entry level large format camera.

For digital, software does it. And in either case, there also are the latest crop of for-digital shift/tilt Canon, Nikon and Mamiya lenses, with full movements - at a price, though...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw - the Nikkor PC 28 f3.5 which I owned covers medium format with no problem! Very Happy

tf

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all,
I will ask my friend for 35 PC , I hope getting it soon, I will take some pics.
28PC is so expensive, Shocked
Hi Trifox, could you give us some pics taken by Nikkor PC, original size if you can.Kenrockwell recommented the large format for Tift/Shift/Wings but it's impossible when travelling around.

So thanks Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Unless one wants:

- to use film
- to use digital but with absolute per pixel sharpness performance

I don't see the need in investing heavy money in a shift lens. Take a good normal 28mm or 35mm lens with little distortion, make a pano, and compose and straight in a pano application or in photoshop.

Panorama stitching is one thing (you can even do that with film if you just scan the exposures and stitch the scans), but perspective correction you can only do partly with digital techniques. With shift you can change the perspective and get things out of view or more into view, which you cannot do after the exposure in PS.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photoshop is far from being the same as shift lens...and you can shift and stitch perfectly to simulate even bigger sensor as FF