Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor Ai 2.0 / 24 - in the woods
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Nikkor Ai 2.0 / 24 - in the woods Reply with quote

Nikkor Ai 2.0 / 24 - in the woods.
Wide open close focus shots.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All looks to me unsharp , it is handshake or your lens is not aligned well Crying or Very sad I remember for this lens must be more sharper at wide open and it has more contrast.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a broken lens.
Scratches on the rear element; but for 70 Euros, I could afford this lens.

And a German teacher of photography Andreas Feininger said:

"Leider beurteilen die meisten Menschen die Wirkung einer Fotografie nach deren technischer Ausführung.
Wenn sie scharf ist und die Farben natürlich sind, hält man sie für gut. Sonst nicht. Meiner Meinung nach ist das so, wie wenn man die Arbeit eines Autors nach der Richtigkeit der Grammatik und der Rechtschreibung beurteilt, denn selbst eine technisch perfekte Fotografie kann ein langweiliges und bedeutungsloses Bild sein. – Andreas Feininger"

Translation:
"Unfortunately, most people assess the effect of Photography after
their technical execution.
If it is sharp and the colors are natural, they are kept for good.
Otherwise not. In my opinion, this is as if the work of
an author is judged by the correctness of grammar and spelling, because even a technically perfect photograph can be a be boring and meaningless picture. - Andreas Feininger"

Wink

Last edited by MF-addicted on Tue May 04, 2010 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF-addicted wrote:
Also a broken lens.
Scratches on the rear element; but for 70 Euros, I could afford this lens.

I have many scratched ones, scratches not affect output just if incredible much there , I think good to put service and do maintenance. It will be a perfect lens after I believe it.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the quote but I took the liberty of making a small exchange of noun used Laughing Laughing Laughing

MF-addicted wrote:
"Unfortunately, most photographers assess the effect of Photography after their technical execution. If it is sharp and the colors are natural, they are kept for good. Otherwise not. In my opinion, this is as if the work of an author is judged by the correctness of grammar and spelling, because even a technically perfect photograph can be a be boring and meaningless picture. - Andreas Feininger"

I admit to being quite a pixel peeper and technical perfectionist myself, which is why I in my photo bag have printed and laminated a white balance card with some words a Magnum photographer gave me over a beer, when I spilled out my frustration for competition being very hard these days (I can't reveal who it was unfortunately)

"F*ck lines per millimeter, f*ck lens sweet spots, f*ck internet forums - other photogs aren't going to buy your work anyway."

Now, coming back to your photos: my girlfriend liked them a lot which is a good sign - FYI she very rarely likes my work Laughing

Oh, another good quote from an unknown person: Critics like to talk about art, artists discuss brushes.

Vilhelm

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low contrast wide open - typical to fast Nikkor wide angles, my 28/2 and 35/1.4 show the same.

But I think you should be able to get sharper results with this lens.

I suggest you could get the Nikon K-ring set and try your lens with the K-1 (about 5mm extension ring) for close-ups.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the 24/2.0 is quite soft in the corners up to f5.6, but surely not that bad? I'll try mine this weekend, although I have some *reasonably* close up shots already and it looks sharper to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:

Oh, another good quote from an unknown person: Critics like to talk about art, artists discuss brushes.

Vilhelm

... like this philosophical aspects. Laughing

ManualFocus-G wrote:

I understand the 24/2.0 is quite soft in the corners up to f5.6, but surely not that bad? I'll try mine this weekend, although I have some *reasonably* close up shots already and it looks sharper to be honest.

... you haven't seen these scratches on the rear Crying or Very sad
... but I like this dreamy kind of images, it is time to sandpaper yours Wink

As a sharp alternative, I use my ML 24 or Distagon 28

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha no sandpapering this one Laughing It does have fungus though, although it doesn't seem to affect it Shocked

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not say that the lens is unsharp, but rather hazzy or fuzzy : details seem to be there, covered by a slight unsharp second image Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbonR wrote:
I would not say that the lens is unsharp, but rather hazzy or fuzzy : details seem to be there, covered by a slight unsharp second image Wink

... massive scratches on rear element with a lot of light diffused falling in and the lack of a hood - lens torture. Wink
.. anyway I like the images, like Tomiokas at 1.4 or Trioplans wide open.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both the Feininger quote, and the quote by Vilhelm! Laughing
Well two different ways of approaching the same point I guess Wink

As for my opinion is concerned, the style and the subject have to go together.

You can have surely soft and dreamy pictures, and you can have ultra defined pictures, as well.

It all depends if they are effective on the subjects that they portray.

There are subjects where soft and dreamy just does not work, and in that case, the style becomes redundant and not effective for communication.
The same happens if you take an ultra detailed picture of a subject that does not fit that. Again, the style becomes redundant.

For a photograph to work best, I think that the style and the subject should not contrast them selves.

_

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

... these are wise words and I got respect to more lenses.
Someone in another forum said that he has now the amount of affordable good, sharp and contrasty lenses and he likes to discover new ones (older types or uncommon with more optical faults) with an own character.

So another reason not to stop collecting lenses. Laughing