Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikkor 2.0/24mm AI
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Nikkor 2.0/24mm AI Reply with quote

Hi,

got this lens few days ago and today during my daily morning walk few first shots with D700 and this lens. My sample is very soft and with f 4 I still need some PP to get images which are hopefully "all right"

Thanks for viewing and comments.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very nice area to walk on your daily walk. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carsten. It is not too bad to live here (especially on the graveyard) Cool

Beside that I would like to hear/read something about the IQ. In the meantime I have adjusted a little bit the PP (used the well known sharpening tool here). Below 2 additional samples. Are there differences ? I added the white frame only that I know later the different sharpening tools.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Beside that I would like to hear/read something about the IQ

subjective evaluation :
colors : 5/10
distortion : 4/10
sharpness : 6/10
----
edit : all pics seem taken at f4, not the best choice for landscape when light is enough (1/1000s)

Last edited by poilu on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 2.0/24mm AI Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
My sample is very soft and with f 4 I still need some PP to get images which are hopefully "all right"

Not a sample variation, sounds like the performance you should expect from this lens when you use it on full frame Nikon DSLR.

Wide open center only useable, lots of vignetting and CA. You won't see decent performance until f/4. Good performance from f/5.6. f/8 to f/11 is sweet spot but only center is excellent, the rest good. Quite a lot of geometric distortion (moustache type).

In same focal length the Nikkor 24/2.8 Ai-S provides much better performance

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 2.0/24mm AI Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
In same focal length the Nikkor 24/2.8 Ai-S provides much better performance

A few months ago I did long research into fast 24mm. On the surface some users raved about the nikon f/2, but once I got deeper, I found not so great tests of the lens--and so went with the nFD 24 f/2 (which some say is the best FD lens ever made)

Later EL and others mentioned the 24 f/2.8 AI-s, and that does seem VERY highly regarded, and not wildly expensive.

The good news is that your f/2 is worth alot. They sell for over 300usd all the time. Go figure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 2.0/24mm AI Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
On the surface some users raved about the nikon f/2, but once I got deeper, I found not so great tests of the lens

Crop frame users enjoy many benefits not having to worry about corners, they are always happier with lenses than full frame users.

Fast wides collect high prices because wide-angle shots with shallow depth of field is fashion today. User base is larger: this is a 36mm f/2 for most users.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought this lens a week ago. I like the bokeh & the sharpness (not super sharp though) of this lens, though I still hasn't got time to explore the lens further. Below is the one example.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more example at wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Nikkor 2.0/24mm AI Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
got this lens few days ago and today during my daily morning walk few first shots with D700 and this lens. My sample is very soft and with f 4 I still need some PP to get images which are hopefully "all right"

My experience also, yet I wouldn't call f/4 of this lens "soft". It's OK by that aperture stop, but not as good as Ai/AIS 24/2.8 shot at f/4.

BTW, I had one Ai and two AIS samples of this lens (the Ai and one AIS sold later for a profit). The latest AIS sample I kept has Nikon's latest coatings, SIC (earlier were NIC coated). Both AIS samples were slightly sharper than the Ai, and the latest SIC-coated one has slightly better resistance to flare. Overall, the 24/2.8 is sharper at every aperture stop.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your comments.

I know that f/4 is not the optimum for landscapes. I used this aperture to be sure to get an image without blur. On the other side I buy a lens with f/2 to use it wide open and not with f/8 or f/11. But it seems that this is necessary with this lens.

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor 28/2 Ai-S is better for wide open shooting. If I didn't already have the 28/1.4D AF (and have access to borrow the 24/1.4G AF-S) I would have bought the 28/2 Ai-S long ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
The Nikkor 28/2 Ai-S is better for wide open shooting. If I didn't already have the 28/1.4D AF (and have access to borrow the 24/1.4G AF-S) I would have bought the 28/2 Ai-S long ago.

I fully agree! It is the "best" lens I own, not just for the quality it delivers, but also for its applicability (nocturnal photography). Off course, that is highly subjective... But nonetheless, if you still haven't got a 28/2, it's about time you get one Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nixland: this must be the same design as Kiron 2/28mm. Resemblance of "running away" background is obvious.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite similar design yes though Kiron has 1 correcting element less, see lens diagrams in this post

http://forum.mflenses.com/kiron-28mm-f2-anyone-has-its-optical-formula-diagram-t35960.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding vote for 24/2.8 Ai-s and 28/2 Ai-s. Nikkor fast wide primes are for wide open shoting but you have to get use on not as good corners as center of the frame. For low light work is 28/2 more than usable. From f4 is good at corners. Then performance of 24/2.8 Ai-s is top of Nikkor primes. I shot landscapes wide open and I should mention only loosing of contrast and sharpness in top corners. Center is sharp from f2.8.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Nixland: this must be the same design as Kiron 2/28mm. Resemblance of "running away" background is obvious.

The 'running away' or I called it 'zoom' bokeh on wide aperture is very interesting. I start to like it. Smile.
I will try 28/2 too if I can get one.