Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Takumar - 85mm S-M-C
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: New Takumar - 85mm S-M-C Reply with quote

My collection is becoming a bit more 'elite' everyday. I used to think the Helios 40 would be my end-all portrait lens but there were two more that I still drooled over the thought of having: the pancolar 1.8/80 and takumar s-m-c 1.8/85mm. Today I got the latter. Well, didn't get yet, but bought!

I just wanted to set up this post now so I can update it later with picture samples.

The opinions of this lens are generally very high but please, any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same optics in a different shell (SMC Pentax K 85/1.Cool. The IQ is great: colors, contrast, and even sharpness wide open are more than just fine. It is arguably the best MF 85mm Pentax has ever produced. The later M 85/2 was nowhere as good. (BTW, Nikon followed a similar path, with their earlier pre-Ai 85/1.8 being a much better lens than the later 85/2 Ai and AIS).

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i look forward to seeing your samples!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant wait the comparison between Helios and Takumar...

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't guarantee anything but if I do a comparison it can be between the: Helios 40, Helios 40-2, S-M-C Takumar, 2x Chrome Jupiter 9, Black Jupiter 9, Vivitar 1.8/80

And if I were to bring any of my Kiev medium format gear in: 4x Volna-3 (3 labeled as Arsat), MC Biometer, Zebra Biometer, 2x Vega 12

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is natural behavior Marc. We all start on many different way, but the end usually is Carl Zeiss Contax or/and Leica Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! Here a simple test I made a while ago...

http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/2009/08/test-pentax-smc-f1885mm-vs-ultra.html

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This is natural behavior Marc. We all start on many different way, but the end usually is Carl Zeiss Contax or/and Leica Laughing Laughing

Sad, expensive, but true Rolling Eyes Laughing
Maybe I'd add APO Lanthars....

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just listed one for sale (CV125) Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a modern lens also in the mix for comparison. Can you borrow one for the test?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter told me that Takumar 85/1,9 is better than SMC 85/1,8.
I have 85/1,9, sharp wide open & very smooth bokeh, Pancolar 80 is really temptation, Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
Peter told me that Takumar 85/1,9 is better than SMC 85/1,8.
I have 85/1,9, sharp wide open & very smooth bokeh, Pancolar 80 is really temptation, Evil or Very Mad

Oh, I did not say that, only that the 85/1.9 has a slightly smoother bokeh (IMHO). But the Pancolar trounces them both (again: IMHO) Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for a 85 that it' s going to be used in portraiture definitely bokeh quality it's important, it is the first characteristic y look for on that focal, in my opinion razor-sharpness at first aperture is not that important in the 85-135 range.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd like to see a modern lens also in the mix for comparison. Can you borrow one for the test?

Unfortunately I don't have a single source for other equipment. I can't say I've ever even encountered a stranger using MF lenses in the field.

Quote:
But the Pancolar trounces them both

It's a dream lens to be sure. I know I'd come to the same conclusion as you but it's rare and people know it now. The price very much reflects that. I bought the Takumar for a little more than 1/3rd of what the pancolar typically goes for..so about the same as price as the super-tak f1.9/85mm. It came with the original hood, caps, and case. I couldn't pass that up.

Quote:
Oh, I did not say that, only that the 85/1.9 has a slightly smoother bokeh

I could not care less about smooth bokeh. In fact, I'd rather not have it. I wouldn't have any of the lenses I do if that were a factor. The fact that the S-M-C may be a bit more 'busy' is a plus to me. I don't think it will be as characteristic as the others but it may be a lens that I grab when I need consistency and reliability.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately I don't have a single source for other equipment. I can't say I've ever even encountered a stranger using MF lenses in the field.

Quote:
But the Pancolar trounces them both

It's a dream lens to be sure. I know I'd come to the same conclusion as you but it's rare and people know it now. The price very much reflects that. I bought the Takumar for a little more than 1/3rd of what the pancolar typically goes for..so about the same as price as the super-tak f1.9/85mm. It came with the original hood, caps, and case. I couldn't pass that up.

Of course not, everyone should buy it whenever possible, especially at such a price. Congratulations!

Quote:

Quote:
Oh, I did not say that, only that the 85/1.9 has a slightly smoother bokeh

I could not care less about smooth bokeh. In fact, I'd rather not have it. I wouldn't have any of the lenses I do if that were a factor. The fact that the S-M-C may be a bit more 'busy' is a plus to me. I don't think it will be as characteristic as the others but it may be a lens that I grab when I need consistency and reliability.

Well, then you definitely have made a good choice. Please don't forget to post the results here! Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I can't guarantee anything but if I do a comparison it can be between the: Helios 40, Helios 40-2, S-M-C Takumar, 2x Chrome Jupiter 9, Black Jupiter 9, Vivitar 1.8/80

And if I were to bring any of my Kiev medium format gear in: 4x Volna-3 (3 labeled as Arsat), MC Biometer, Zebra Biometer, 2x Vega 12

Does the word redundancy come to mind?

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:
... the 85/1.9 has a slightly smoother bokeh

+1 Spotmatic "you definitely have made a good choice"

Imho the S-M-C coatings contribute to higher contrast, the bokeh have harder transitions light to dark areas, makes for 'busy' bokeh.

"a lens that I grab when I need consistency and reliability" describes mine and me! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Imho the S-M-C coatings contribute to higher contrast, the bokeh have harder transitions light to dark areas, makes for 'busy' bokeh.

I think it's not as simple as that. The Super-Takumar has a Sonnar-derived scheme, hence the smoother "sonnar" bokeh, especially when stopped down; the SMC version is Planar-derived, hence the slighly busier rendering but higher overall sharpness.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the lens yesterday afternoon. It is immaculate! Could have been described as new and I wouldn't have blinked. Here are a few samples. Iso was stupidly set at 800. The exif data reading 85mm is right though! Uhh... I'm new to this digital thing... and sadly am making some mistakes along the way

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Iso was stupidly set at 800. The exif data reading 85mm is right though! Uhh... I'm new to this digital thing... and sadly am making some mistakes along the way

No harm done. Pics don't look noisy.

Besides, you got an excuse to go for a stroll on a nice day with a pretty girl, that's worth a couple of noisy pixels!