Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

new NEX5R and NEX6 first photos?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: new NEX5R and NEX6 first photos? Reply with quote

again it's just a rumor site and "leaked photos", they could be photoshopped fakes but chances are they are for real: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/category/rumors/

the 5R is similar to the 5N but uses the space on top right corner previously taken for only on/off switch for a second wheel ( on/off now around release button ) and has an additional fn button. The sensor is a newly designed 16 Megapixel APS-C sensor with Phase Detection AF pixels. ( It has WiFi connectivity and APP support, one can surf on Internet with it Wink )
Expected price is 700 usd incl. kit lens.

The NEX6 is more similar to the NEX7 with the integrated flash, hotshoe and EVF but with less resolution in a smaller body. Instead of the 2 separate trinavi wheels there is one "conventional" wheel choosing exposure modes and it looks like it might be stacked on top of a second, most likely programmable wheel, of course one more wheel around curser like every NEX. It uses the same Phase Detection AF 16MP sensor of 5R, same WiFi connectivity.

3 new lenses are expected too:
Sony 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 pancake zoom with OSS and power zoom.
Sony 11-18 f/4.0: Normal (non pancake) zoom.
Sony 35mm f/1.8: Fast non expensive prime lens as big as the Sigma 30mm lens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What puzzles me is that the hotshoe of the NEX-6 looks like a regular one and not like a Sony/Minolta one. Question

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

by now full specs of the NEX5R are given at the rumorsite linked above, announcement expected tomorrow between 3 and 4 PM Londontime.
new e.g. are the Phase/Contrast Hybrid AF, Touch screen LCD with Touch Shutter, WIFI

btw. the full specs of the new Sony SLT A99 FF camera are given too, announcement, together with NEX6, is expected on September 12th

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touch screen isn't very useful, wi-fi connectivity definitely not, wish they'd put more effort into improving the controls, still the NEX's weak point.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Touch screen isn't very useful, wi-fi connectivity definitely not, wish they'd put more effort into improving the controls, still the NEX's weak point.

The 5R, as compared to the 5N, has a second wheel ( on the top right corner, where the on/off switch used to be, now moved to be around release button ) and a new Fn button.

new on the 5R, again as compared to 5N, is that it not only focuses where you touch, but also, on touch, releases ( of course only with native AF lenses, something which has been liked by many users on Oly mirrorless, don't know if Pana is offering it too )

btw. I find the touch screen on my 5N to be rather useful, more so do any kids who have taken my camera in their hands who seem to use it much more effectively, as if natural, specially for scrolling through the photos.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now the 5R is official, here the "hands-on" review on dpreview: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-nex-5r/
looks like it's not a real second wheel, pff..

body only for 650 usd: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/888554-REG/Sony_nex5r_b_NEX_5R_Compact_Interchangeable_Lens.html
( the "modular" design with the optional EVF would make an upgrade not all that expensive )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, still needs further improvements to the physical controls.

I think Sony doesn't want to make the NEX series too strong in physical interface so as to keep a difference to it's SLT cameras. That's a real shame as the latest SLT cams have got really good physical controls.

I also think they don't want to put a great EVF on the NEX series, again to differentiate it from the SLT cams, probably why they haven't put a hotshoe on the NEX either.

Phase detect AF on the sensor, Wi-fi, ability to run apps, that stuff is useless to me and I don't like touch screens, give me real physical controls any day.

More and more I would like an SLT instead of a NEX as my next camera, only thing that stops me is I can't put my Hexanons, Rokkors and RF lenses on an SLT.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Nex-6 is supposed to have a really top notch EVF built in...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Like I said, still needs further improvements to the physical controls.

yes but actually I find them, and if only just, sufficient even on the 5N
the additional Fn button is welcome, for using Mf lenses imo a second wheel doesn't make all that much difference

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I also think they don't want to put a great EVF on the NEX series, again to differentiate it from the SLT cams, probably why they haven't put a hotshoe on the NEX either.

hm??
the EVF for the NEX5N, 3F, 5R and the one in the NEX7 is the same 2.4M dot OLED EVF than even in the flagship SLT A-77!
the NEX7 and NEX F3 ( I believe, if not true please someone correct me ) have the same Sony hotshoe as the SLTs

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Phase detect AF on the sensor, Wi-fi, ability to run apps, that stuff is useless to me and I don't like touch screens, give me real physical controls any day.

the dual AF is potentially is the biggest development ( albeit not for us MF lens users ), how well it works has to be seen.
this other stuff may be useless for you, but I am pretty sure that they are exactly which will make this camera a big success.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the NEX 3F? Never heard of that one.

EVF for 5R, 5N is pretty useless as it's external which then means you have no way of connecting a flash.

F3 doesn't have a hotshoe.

Sony just haven't put together a model that has all the right tools for proper photography, and it's a bad trend to add gimmicky crap like apps and wi-fi instead of making the best camera they can. There should be NEX models to challenge the OM-D and Fuji X1Pro as serious cameras but instead Sony add gimmicky features that are of little to no interest to a photographer. Direct upload to facebook, yeah, okay, like that's useful to people using it for serious work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, as I say, keep an eye out for the Nex-6. Should be like a Nex-7 but with lower MP count.

Personally, however, I hate EVFs full stop! X-Pro 1 might interest me if the cost comes down.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Ian, as I say, keep an eye out for the Nex-6. Should be like a Nex-7 but with lower MP count.

Personally, however, I hate EVFs full stop! X-Pro 1 might interest me if the cost comes down.

Yes, NEX-6 should be interesting.

EVFs I am keen on if they have high enough resolution and refresh rate, and the latest ones like in the SLT-A65 are pretty good (I played with one at the weekend in a local camera store), sadly they didn't have a Samsung NX20, I want to have a look at one of those, 20MP APS-C, EVF and articulated 3-inch amoled screen, proper hotshoe if price comes down a bit after it's been available for a while it looks like a great camera because the lenses for it are wonderful and very cheap - the 2/30 is only 90ukp if you shop around and it is unbelievably good.

X-Pro1 is interesting as it's a very nice camera, however I have some reservations, the X100 has put me off Fuji, seen too many samples that look like a compact camera, although you always have to consider the photographer might be to blame more than the camera. If the X-Pro1 sensor really does have a bigger dynamic range than others, that is something that interests me. The Fujinon lenses have interesting specs too, but again, I have some reservations as the X-Fujinon lenses I have are not very good, I have a mint EBC DM X-Fujinon 1.6/50 that is really not good on the NEX-3.

I've become very reticent about believing reviews of cameras and lenses, so in the case of any new camera, I will wait until someone competent gets their hands on one and posts lots of results, for example, the Samsung NX100 produces fantastic results, slightly better than my beloved NEX-3 even, but you would never have discovered that from reading the reviews it got. It's a case of what camera will work best for me and how I shoot, I never use higher ISOs, 95% of my NEX-3 work has been at base ISO, the other 5% at 400, so the less good higher ISo performance of the NX cams is of no concern to me, so the NX100 suits me very well and I suspect the NX20 will too, but I would need to see proof of that before I bought one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you shoot at low ISO then the Samsung cameras will be fantastic, I think that's known universally. I purchased an NX11 with 18-55mm for £170 last week (a reasonable price) and it's working OK so far. Lens is rubbish though, so waiting for my EOS adapter to arrive. It will be interesting to see if I can focus properly using the low res EVF! The Nex-5n viewfinder is the same as that of the SLT-A65 and I really didn't like it. I struggled to focus properly without zooming to focus peak (messing up composition) and it gave me headaches. Not impressed!

The new Fuji lenses are supposed to be excellent (my dad is buying one shortly) and I wouldn't worry about comparing them to lenses from 40 years ago, I'm sure things have improved since then!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, check this guy's stream for some nice X100 landscapes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oshrees/with/7803188104/#photo_7803188104

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised the 18-55 is crap, the 20-50 I have for my NX100 is wonderful, I highly recommend it, Attila loves his copy too. Maybe you have a decentred one, photozone said all 3 copies of the 18-55 they tried were decentred.

I'm looking forward to seeing some X-Pro1 with Fujinon results, I'll reserve judgment until I do.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not decentered, just not very sharp at wider apertures and the OIS is appalling. It seems nice and sharp stopped down and is probably fine for landscapes. Just not very inspiring for anything else. I should probably give it a little more time though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
BTW, check this guy's stream for some nice X100 landscapes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oshrees/with/7803188104/#photo_7803188104

Ooh, those are a lot better than anything I've seen from the X100 before.

The dynamic range on these looks very good, which is a very important thing for landscapes and scenery.

Perhaps my low opinion of the X100 so far has been coloured by the photographer using it Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
What's the NEX 3F? Never heard of that one.

EVF for 5R, 5N is pretty useless as it's external which then means you have no way of connecting a flash.

F3 doesn't have a hotshoe.

Sony just haven't put together a model that has all the right tools for proper photography, and it's a bad trend to add gimmicky crap like apps and wi-fi instead of making the best camera they can. There should be NEX models to challenge the OM-D and Fuji X1Pro as serious cameras but instead Sony add gimmicky features that are of little to no interest to a photographer. Direct upload to facebook, yeah, okay, like that's useful to people using it for serious work.

oh yes, 3F is typo, it's F3 and this model does not have a hotshoe, thank's for the correction.
This doesn't make your statement that the NEX series doesn't have good EVFs or that not any NEX has a hotshoe any less wrong and misleading, and this was the point.

that a flash cannot be connected at the same time as the EVF on some models doesn't make the EVF useless but means that one cannot flash while using the EVF, period. I find the optional titlable EVF simply brilliant and it's the biggest reason, between various, why I use a NEX5N. Other people above all prefer these cameras for their minimalistic design and size, those who prefer to have a built in flash or hotshoe better choose the model that have it.
( my Pentax dSLRs have both built in flash and hotshoe, but for over 50.000 shots I never used the hotshoe, the built in flash 10 or 20 times? Therefore for me it would be utterly hypercritical to say that I miss flash or hotshoe. Now that my camera doesn't have them of course sometimes makes me "think" that I miss them, has made me more curious about flash photography, in a future upgrade I may opt for a model with better flash options )

Direct upload will be liked by many for playfulness, for having fun with their camera ( oh, isn't that the main reason non professionals do photography? ) and I suppose it also must be very useful for journalists.

Obviously, as we all know, every camera has it's own advantages and disadvantages, none will be ideal for everyone and there is always room for improvement.
You prefer OM-D, Fuji X1Pro and Samsungs, others prefer the NEX5N or NEX7.

It's too tiring having to counter wrong and misleading statements of someone bashing cameras because they are not to his personal liking.
I wish you much joy with the cameras you like!

Last edited by kuuan on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please drop the negative attitude, it's not needed here, you're preaching to the converted.

I love my NEX-3, but it lacks in many areas, when I come to upgrade it, I will probably buy another NEX, that's why I am interested in the new ones, but you seem to interpret my interest as bashing, you're completely wrong.

I want to see Sony produce more camera-like models in the NEX line, hence I referenced the OM-D or X-Pro1 as examples of this, no other reason I mentioned them, I couldn't give a toss about brand names or makers, I simply seek the best IQ within a price I can afford, don't care who made it.

I want to see a NEX that is akin to the Samsung NX5, 10, 11, 20 models. The NX20 that just came out is the 20mp APS-C sensor of the NX200 (which is like a NEX-3 or 5 in features) but in the same body type as the NX5/10/11 with built-in EVF, articulated 3 inch amoled screen and camera-like control dials.

Instead, I see Sony adding smartphone type features like touch screen, wi-fi and apps.

So as Martin said, I will await the NEX-6 which maybe the NEX I'm seeking with an EVF, camera-like controls and a hotshoe instead of the annoying proprietary accessory shoe.

I want a mirrorless APS-C camera that is like a camera, rather than a smartphone with a big sensor, is that so hard to understand? No reason to get so aggressive, I wasn't trying to start an argument.

A Sony NEX with a format like these others would be great, what's wrong with expressing a desire for such a thing and a distaste for smartphone type features?

I suppose my dilemma is that the Sony SLT line and the Sony NEX line both have features I want but no model from either really meets my needs and a fusion of the two is what I want - a mirrorless A-mount camera but with a camera body like the SLT series. Ideally Sony would take the SLT, remove the mirror box and phase detect AF system, put an A-mount on it and use a NEX sensor with the phase detect AF built-in, that would suit me down to the ground.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's all fine Ian.
please put forward what you want and what you don't like about the new 5R, no probs at all, many interesting points there!
My ideal camera has not been made yet neither, very likely never will be, we must choose our best compromise ( for me the NEX5N has been the one closest to my ideal )

But that better not lead to wrong / misleading statements like "I also think they don't want to put a great EVF on the NEX series, again to differentiate it from the SLT cams, probably why they haven't put a hotshoe on the NEX either" and "EVF for 5R, 5N is pretty useless" which call for being countered. (they may stem from your frustration that the cameras are not made as you wished and can be understood in that light, but out of that context rather do sound like bashing ).
This very EVF is the main reason why I choose and very much like my NEX5N, it's a real marvel! ( before that was released I'd have not opted for a NEX )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well, guess some people always see things in terms of an argument and must always be right.

It's not exactly great to discuss something in such an argumentative and aggressive way nor to sound like you're lecturing someone, even if you do take issue.

I really hate the way people get all aggressive and defensive because they own a certain model and perceive someone else maybe bashing it, it's stupid, smacks on fanboyism.

Enjoy that 5N.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying to get the facts right ( not concerned about 'who' is right )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever, the aggressive attitude wasn't appreciated.

I've said my piece, let's not argue.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some reviews:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDIUO4B8wL4&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgciVD1AZSA

remote control app via WIFI = live view and releasing on handphone ( and immediate review and share from there ) - candid photography!
live view e.g on a tablet or laptop computer for studio work and video ( those who want an external monitor will find that they already have one )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

... the Samsung NX100 produces fantastic results, slightly better than my beloved NEX-3 even, but you would never have discovered that from reading the reviews it got.

Ian, you and Attila better not be FOS with this NX100:

Click here to see on Ebay

Should have it sometime next week. Any recommends on adapters, M42, etc, please PM me.

Mine was $194.99 with free shipping, but the last one offered has shipping charges...hummm.