Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New In Box, 50 years old
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: New In Box, 50 years old Reply with quote

I just got a "1958 Brussels World's Fair Grand Prix" 300/4.5 Tair-3 lens. It arrived in the leather case with matching hood and 2 filters, in the original box with the copper seal wire still attached (but cut), with front and rear caps, instruction manual (in Cyrillic of course) and Passport. It's in M39 mount to fit my Zenit S, and it also had an M39/M42 adapter ring included with it. Not the most modern of lenses, but with that paint job it looks pretty neat on the Canon.

Here are a couple of shots, hand held wide open, about 3.5 meters distance. Shutter speed was 1/200 and 1/400 respectively, ISO set at 800.

Can't see much in those, here's a detail:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the AESTHETIC value from the beautiful design and finish, this lens is worth it!

But then when I see the VERY fine images, you have yourself a WONDERFUL piece of gear!

NICE buy, Rick!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as you can probably tell from my avatar, i didn't exactly NEED another lens, but this one seemed kind of special....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That IS special !

I like that its the 1950's version too.

How much was it ?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to deny something when it is obviously made with quality in mind.

Again, the wonderful black finish, combined with the superb overall look and structure of the lens is just fantastic.

For one thing, look at that beautiful sort of rounded bulge lower down on the lens! I call that engineering art.

They didn't just slap some metal and glass together - instead they created substance out of their vision. Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rounded bulge is the collar for the tripod socket.... for which there is actually a mating screw that locks the lens into the leather case! took me forever to get it out, i wasn't expecting it to be screwed down.

didn't cost any money, it's a trade thing... a friend in moscow and i swap american and russian gear back and forth.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This is long time ago on my wishlist! Congrats!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome piece. Hard to imagine it is 50 years old - I certainly did not look that good when I reached 50! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Awesome piece. Hard to imagine it is 50 years old - I certainly did not look that good when I reached 50! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
patrickh

Does that mean you look BETTER now? Or, are you looking sort of crumpled up like me? Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Rick ! What a lovely bulky yet elegant lens !

It reminds me a lot Helios-44-2 : same aperture ring grip, same barel design, same black lacque finish, same tripod colar blocking screw mount.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence - crumpled is much too polite for me. A walking demonstration of the worst effects of gravity. Nothing stayed where it was Laughing Laughing Laughing

patrickh