Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New camera arrived :D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: New camera arrived :D Reply with quote

Hello to all

Finally my Contax S2 arrived from Switzerland. I was searching for this camera for a while, first to get it in good shape, secondly for the price. Used ones are about 500€ +. I got this one at 330€, which is a decent price.

Basically speaking the camera is superb. Great handling, gets fine in hands. It's a very simple camera : a lever on the left for ISO setting, from 12 to 6400, and on the right the speed selector, that's all ( i have a shutter and winder lever though )

Mirror sound is mildly soundy, less than the 159MM, more than the Aria, but it's not the same generation. Viewfinder is huge, and coverage is about 95%, basically the same that the Aria. The rewinding sounds like a watch one .

It functions with batteries only for the lightmeter, apart from that it can function without. The only minus thing, if one can be it's the metering mode : spot only. Well i should deal with.

This is the 60 years model, color is champagne. It came with a semi leather case. I'll be testing it soon and post pix.

here's the pix of the beast

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty ! Congrats!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful camera - enjoy! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is absolutely gorgeous !!!

COngrats!!!

tf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks , yes i will hopefully Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful camera looks in beautiful shape, congrats, Hexi!
(My Contax 137MA is sulking now. Laughing )

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! i know you will use it well! may i ask, was something lacking in your aria that you saw in this camera? i am always interested in how good photographers analyse their equipment.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats, beautiful camera!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks . If ever i can attend a members meeting i'll bring it Very Happy

Tony, this camera is all mechanical, and it's more up to you for accurate exposures, just because you have no "aids". The Aria is a great camera, and more reactive , i think at least , than the S2 when you have to take your time even more for your pix. That was one one the aim.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh cool, defintely understand what youre going for. good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, I have only brochures. You can search for a black one too. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks nice Smile

I'm wondering why these are so expensive though? What is so special about them? Genuinely curious!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koji the model you show is the S2b version. The only difference is an evaluative light measure instead of spot with the S2. Costs about 700€ used, so a bit out of reach for now Very Happy
Orio : grazie

Sirrith, these cameras are expensive for some reasons. I think that one is that it's a rather rare body, even more the S2b version. It's all mechanical has its appeal, and the Contax brand gives it a proper identity and respect ( biaised ... no Very Happy )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Beautiful and good camera!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a NICE camera Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: S2 in use ... Reply with quote

I bought a S2 too to have an reliable body for superb Sonnar 2.8/85 - was not exspecting to much to be honest.

- bulky & heavy (compared to Maitani work)
- noisy mirror
- poor ergonomics (flashing LED for choosen shutter speed, enlighted for proposed), why didn't the just use a simple needle?
- quality of leather is known (not for it's durability ;o)
+ smooth outfit
+ shutter release with lock
+ maybe best body of the whole Contax/Yashica famliy

so why do i keep it?
+ Sonnar 2.8/85
+ Planar 1.4/50
--> a lot cheaper, smaller & not as heavy as 'brothers' made in Solms
+ there seems to be no alternative (as 139Q and RTS survived not even a year in my hands (only in Europe), compared to OM1n which underwent two yearstorture in East Africa & travelling 40 weeks on bike in Europe & Canada ...)

Who else uses it as a workhorse? Who just to enjoy company of that stylish body ?