Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need advice on Zeiss 35-70 f3.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Need advice on Zeiss 35-70 f3.4 Reply with quote

I have been using manual focus lens for over a year now. I was looking for a standard zoom to fit my 5D Mk1 for everyday use and my choice went for the Zeiss 35-70 f3.4,

I bought it on ebay at a good price. I did pretty much all my homework regarding seller, description and considering the price I jumped on it as well as asking a few questions after to make sure it was all in order considering general defects that can be found on old lens (fungus, haze, dust, scratches, etc).

I just received it and don`t know what to think of what I found. From my research, it would be either lens bubble (would then keep it) or lens separation (would most probably return it).

The rest of the lens is almost flawless (macro, focus, aperture zoom and cosmetic). I have taken a few shot, and there does not seem to have any affect on images, but my main concern is if this could get worse with time as well as what would be the real value of the lens considering this defect.

Your opinion is really appreciated. Keeper or not?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don`t know why the image does not show up, so here is an hyperlink to a picture in flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nainsurvolte/11459114395/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nainsurvolte/11459155314/

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does not look like either lens bubbles or separation. To my eyes it looks like onset of schneideritis (do google search). The pictures with more depth of field and more general view would be helpful.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is as good as it gets with what I have (100mm Macro f32 Iso 125 6" in remote/live view)

Also, some more context, you really need to put everything at an angle (light and camera) in order to see it.
-Look right through the lens, it does not show up
-Look perpendicularly to the surface where it is you don't see it

To see it you need to hold the lens, have that spot in front of you but on the far side, and tilt the lend so that you start looking at the horizon of the glass (Rolling Eyes hope its clear)

I have looked for the onset and Schneideritis as you mentioned. Although I agree that the later seem to be the case, I did not found any good (convincing) explanation as to where this comes from and if it can get worst. Am I right to believe that the community knows what it looks like but only knows approximately what is the cause and how to possibly control it?

As for the onset, I found nothing. "Onset" seem to be too much of a common word and the context around lens too uncommon to even show up in the searches. If you have a link it would be great.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is "Schneideritis" it would be a problem of loose flat-black paint on the inside of the barrel which creates reflections in the glass, if i am not mistaking it..... and i think nainsurvolte has these specks in or on the glass itself, am i right??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small bump, still looking for someone to say they are pretty sure this is Schneideritis.

Here is more general view:

And here is a less cropped view of the last one. For reference the letters you barely see are the "i`and the first "s" of "Zeiss".

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't a cheap lens (unless you got it for an amazing price). If you are not happy with it, send it back regardless.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nainsurvolte wrote:
A small bump, still looking for someone to say they are pretty sure this is Schneideritis.

I for one am 99% sure these are Schneideritis. I have a bunch of lenses (mostly German and Russian made) having exactly these. It's just the black paint around the edge of the glass that's chipping/bubbling. It does very little effect on actual images, and in general it's not considered to be a serious issue (unless it's extreme). My Flektogon 50/4 (medium format) is literally covered with these. I had a 2nd-gen Leitz 180/2.8 R that had these also. Can't remember any other lenses with these out of my head, but I have maybe 5 or 6 like that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly looks like a paint problem to me, I've had many lenses of various makes with this problem and never found it to have any adverse effects.

This is the first time I've heard it called schneideritis, it certainly isn't just a problem that is confined to Schneider lenses.

I would suggest if you are not happy then return the lens. I can't see it causing you any problems but other people might not like it and it could affect the resale value.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the reply. I honestly never heard of Schneideritis before but from what I read and the pictures I took so far I am ok with keeping it. It would simply have been nicer if right off the bat, the seller would have announced that instead of finding it when inspecting the lens upon reception.

Quote:
This isn't a cheap lens (unless you got it for an amazing price).

It`s not a hidden gem taken from a garage sale or anything like that. Straight out of the internet at about 33% off regular price of lens at similar conditions sold at reputable used gear seller (400$ including original caps and pouch). As stated in another post above, the rest of the lens is just amazing compared to others I have seen around on sell.

I have made research and read that this one is almost providing prime lens quality for a zoom. It thus became a "must have" after a year of shooting primes for which I got tired of changing lens.

After making some test shot in "Pixel peeping" mode with live view manual focus, it blows my Tamron 28-75 for that range (@ 35, 50, 70), it is almost indistinguishable from my Summicron 50 f2, better than the 70-200 f4L and almost on par of the 70-200 f2.8L both at 70mm.

Although not in in the same focal range, I still need to check it compare to 2 28mm lens I have (Kiron 28f2 and SMC 28f3.5). If it can beat them too, the purchase of that lens will be finance by the sell off of the others (Tamron, Kiron and Takumar) Very Happy

I guess we can consider this a case closed

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff! I've used this lens extensively and it's superb.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Schneideritis before it was cool Very Happy

But seriously, a few weeks ago I posted a question along with some photos and my problem was diagnosed just that. My thread quietly and magically moved to the "Equipment Care and Repairs" section but you can find it under this link:

http://forum.mflenses.com/what-are-these-dots-inside-the-lens-t63379.html

Comparing our photos I think it looks roughly the same. Just as in your case, the seller has "forgotten" to mention this detail in the description. Anyway, I haven't noticed any impact on the picture quality so if the price was right, these little dots will soon be forgotten and overshadowed by the results.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. I was pretty sure to have looked elsewhere in the forum for a place to post my question. I guess "Equipment Care and Repair" did not struck me as the place to go as I was looking for defect information. But upon closer inspection, maybe I should have gone there first. Nice threads btw (mostly the one on equipment repair.

Did some shooting, and I am just about to upload and see the results. Obviously, this lens is not for a camera with a regular focusing screen. I don`t know the one I have in the 5D but it is definitely better than the EF-D I have on my 40D.

For the ones managing the forum, would`t be nice to have a sticky on all possible sign of use/age/defect that may and may not affect image quality. There is already one for fungus, maybe it could be joined by one or more explaining Lens separation, Schneideritis, oil on apperture blade, haze, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with an angulon 35/2,8 in rollei sl 35 mount.

Yes a schneider lens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: C/Y Vario-Sonnar 3,4/35-70mm Reply with quote

I am using this excellent lens since 1987, and it looks like still like brand new! If you can't live with it, get it repaired. It will be worth it!

A good price, is not always te best price!