Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What are these dots inside the lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: What are these dots inside the lens? Reply with quote

I bought a $20 Sears 200m f/3.5 (Mamiya-Sekor, possibly Tokina made as discussed in this thread) and it arrived last week. Looks and works fine but under closer inspection I've noticed this inside the barrel:

To me it looks as if someone removed one of the elements using a chisel and scraped the paint in the process. But maybe it's something else, like a vicious paint-eating bacteria, so I figured: I'll better ask.

Whatever it is, can it affect the lens performance in any way?

Haven't really got a chance to test it properly. Here are a few snapshots, all done handheld, indoors, f/3.5, flash bounced off ceiling, shot from ~3m:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to be sure, but it might be Schneideritis. Vicious poorly-adhering paint on the elements' edges.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It doesn't look like fungus and it obviously doesn't affect the image quality, which is great.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dan, must likely Schneideritis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the result of slight condensation at some time, I've got lenses with similar marks on the internal coating / paint and can't see any problems with the images. The 'marks' on the glass are reflections.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't look like Schneideritis to me, looks like the black paint coming off the elements which is used to increase contrast. Sometimes the paint doesn't adhere all that well, I had one lens where it pealed off very easily, a fresh coat of black paint and it was as good as new.
Schneideritis seems to be a condensate from paint, glue, etc... that gets deposited on the element surface, the Rokkor M 28 is typically effected, and can be caused to happen if the lens gets very warm, its elements are glued in and no way to clean elements... Very stupid IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the lens was disassembled that might be some mechanical damage or coating layer scratch. It definitely won't affect your image.

I got a Polish projection lens - Polkinar 120/1.8 with something like this:

and it works. I mean... not perfectly (yet! - waiting for customized adaptor), but works. I took some samples freelensing, so a lot of light leaks, but it wasn't that bad at all:
http://lenscraze.blogspot.com/2013/11/zk-polkinar-120-mm-118-polish-cinema.html
I believe some lenses have a lot of tolerance for mechanical damage.

Keep calm, it's not fungus Wink
(In your case. I have no idea what's wrong with my Polkinar.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:

Schneideritis seems to be a condensate from paint, glue, etc... that gets deposited on the element surface, the Rokkor M 28 is typically effected, and can be caused to happen if the lens gets very warm, its elements are glued in and no way to clean elements... Very stupid IMO.
That's your idiosyncratic non-standard definition. In the large format world, where most discussions of Schneideritis have taken place, it is defined as paint separating from the elements' edges. Also known as Boyeritis, many of their lenses do it too.

Your definition is the standard definition/explanation of haze inside lenses.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whateveritis....

The lens looks like a great performer, congrats.

I had the Tokina RMC 3.5/200, it was pretty poor, tons of CA and nowhere near as sharp as this lens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Whateveritis....
Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Its hard to be sure, but it might be Schneideritis. Vicious poorly-adhering paint on the elements' edges.

OMG!, I feared it might be something with ominously sounding name. Lets hope it's not contagious and that paint won't come off anything else around here Very Happy

Thanks guys for the explanation, yet again I have learned a new term.

pd1987 wrote:
I have no idea what's wrong with my Polkinar.

It looks as if it was frozen, nice pattern Smile

Anyway, I suppose every single lens of mine would come out looking awful in the flashlight test. Since I like the idea of owning nice objects, I won't let any of my lenses hanging out with focused sources of light. Wink

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

The lens looks like a great performer, congrats.

Thanks, I admit it looks promising. For $20 anyway. Whenever I'll take it for a spin, I shall post more samples. Yes, that definitely means more CATS Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that, though much worse, on my Nikkor-P 105mm 1:2.8. It's where the paint inside the lens barrel didn't adhere to the substrate and became dislodged. It comes off in dots because those are the holiday bubbles formed by poor adhesion. The paint just goes away. I think it just falls off, gets sucked into the mechanism when focusing changes the internal air pressure, and gets lodge or ground up there. I've never had any issues with it working its way back into the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
Lightshow wrote:

That's your idiosyncratic non-standard definition. In the large format world, where most discussions of Schneideritis have taken place, it is defined as paint separating from the elements' edges. Also known as Boyeritis, many of their lenses do it too.

Your definition is the standard definition/explanation of haze inside lenses.

"idiosyncratic non-standard definition" Thanks for taking it easy on me... I stand corrected, that was what it was called in every forum I found while searching about the Rokkor M 28, and no that was not haze, it was more like patches or blobs of something at the very edges, which is very different from haze, so I never dug deeper into the term Schneideritis.

Who would have thought the internet would lead me astray? Confused

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the Schneideritis. Sometimes the black color seems partial no longer attached to the lens - but when I try to get rit of it it was still much work.
In the few cases I examined I found no peeling paint on the back of the lens.

pd1987 wrote:

Looks like Delamination/Separation of a lens group - the glue is no more glueing the two lenses together.
Separation can sometimes be seen in the bokeh - depending which lens is affected.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lightshow"
"idiosyncratic non-standard definition" Thanks for taking it easy on me... I stand corrected, that was what it was called in every forum I found while searching about the Rokkor M 28 ...

Who would have thought the internet would lead me astray? Confused[/quote]

The Internet was invented to make it easy to lead the innocent astray. Give up your innocence.

More seriously, there's a common language. Or, rather, there was a common language before the Internet became generally available.

Consider, for example, "back focus." Once upon a time back focus was an attribute of a lens, meant the distance between the vertex of the lens' rear element and the image plane when the lens was focused at infinity. Useful concept.

Now back focus describes what a lens and an autofocus system do together. When a maladjusted (old euphemism for crazy) AF SLR or a defective lens focus the lens so that the plane of best focus as seen from the image plane is behind the plane of best focus as seen on the SLR's ground glass, we say the system back focuses or has back focus. Another useful concept, as is its brother front focus.

People talk about point and shoot cameras, film and digital, that back or front focus; I think its better to say that their autofocus systems don't work properly since with them just where the plane of best focus ought to be is hard to see.

We had one good back focus concept, now we have two. The tower of Babel will never be completed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Back-focus could have just as easily been used instead of bokeh.
English loves to acquire new words to describe things already described.

Oh, in case it was missed, my comment about the internet was subtle sarcasm.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoneV wrote:
Regarding the Schneideritis. Sometimes the black color seems partial no longer attached to the lens - but when I try to get rit of it it was still much work.
In the few cases I examined I found no peeling paint on the back of the lens.

pd1987 wrote:

Looks like Delamination/Separation of a lens group - the glue is no more glueing the two lenses together.
Separation can sometimes be seen in the bokeh - depending which lens is affected.

Thanks for confirmation!
I was just guessing that, but nothing for sure. As soon as I get my adaptor I'll check that bokeh thing. Sounds really interesting!