Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nearly finished building my kits
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Nearly finished building my kits Reply with quote

I've almost finished building my film kits. One medium format, one 35mm M42, one 35mm P/K, and one digital. I'm stuck on a few points, and would welcome some gentle slaps in the head to make some firm decisions. I value your opinions, as you've all proved a great help in the past.

I only use two focal lengths, maximum three. Wide (28mm), standard (50mm) and a short tele (~80 to 135). I choose my lenses on the quality of the image, rather than image quality (ie character

Medium format:
Pentacon Six with Flektogon 50mm and Biotar 80mm and a range of viewfinders.
Kit complete Cool

35mm P/K:
Pentax ME Super
Cosina 19-35/f3.5-4.5 (rarely used, but useful to have)
Tamron 28/f2.5 (02B)
Pentax-M SMC 50/f2
Tamron 80-210/f3.8 (103A)
Kit complete Cool

The following kit is the one I am having problems coming to a decision about. It would be easy to just keep it all, but I am an incurable "faffer" and suffer "option paralysis" if I have too many choices. I want to get down to one lens of each type, but only a second one in exceptional circumstances.

35mm M42:

Pentax SV?
Pentax SP?
I like them both, and never know which to use, so I end up using neither Embarassed

28mm lens:
I cannot find anything I really really like in M42. I know that the old Pentax/Takumar 28/f3.5 was VERY much to my liking, but I seem to have been priced out of the market. They are routinely fetching lots of money on fleabay.
A 28mm/f2.8 "Asanuma" has recently come my way, but I'm not expecting it to shine, though you never know Question

35mm:
A Porst auto F 35/f3.5 recently dropped into my lap, but I've not tested it yet, but I rarely use 35mm focal length.

50mm lens:
Super-Takumar 50/f1.4 - love it!
Super-Takumar 55/f1.8 - love it!
Helios 44-2 58/f2 - love it!
Industar 50-2 50/f3.5 - love it!
Steinheill Cassar-S 50/2.8 - love it!

So I have really bad option paralysis for 50mm Embarassed The Steinheil Cassar-S must stay because it has a classic quality I cannot reproduce with any other. The Industar is slow and fiddly to use, so that's easy. But then I still have three to choose from. On the basis that they work best with the camera body, the choice must be one of the Super-Takumar, but I cannot choose. Both have superb IQ and Q of I Confused

135mm:
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 135/f3.5 - oily aperture Crying or Very sad
Pentacon 135/f2.8 - something's sticking inside
Hanimex Tele-auto 135/f3.5 - not tried it yet

It would be an easy choice, the Takumar is in brand new condition, but the repair is expensive Sad

Zoom:
Tamron 95-205/f6.3 (910P) - beautiful IQ, sharp as razors, I adore it!

Digital:
Easy, an m4/3 body and a bunch of Pentax-110 lenses Cool

So please, slap me around and help me choose the M42 kit. I really can't have so many options or I will explode. I need to choose, then pass the excess on to someone who will use them Very Happy Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how much cash you need Graham.

SV or SP? If they're in similar condition I'd personally go with the SP, just for the meter, and chances are you might get more for the SV if you sell it. See what the Asanuma lens is like first, but I think you should try the little Vivitar WA 2.8/28 (Komine). You can pick them up for a song and they have tons of character.

Between the 50 Takumars a lot depends how much cash you need. I prefer the IQ of the 1.8 and the 1.4 would raise more cash, so I'd be inclined to sell that and keep the 1.8.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did use use already P6 and finish scanning ? I use only ultra wide on 35mm due MF produce so much better result.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
It all depends on how much cash you need Graham.

SV or SP? If they're in similar condition I'd personally go with the SP, just for the meter, and chances are you might get more for the SV if you sell it. See what the Asanuma lens is like first, but I think you should try the little Vivitar WA 2.8/28 (Komine). You can pick them up for a song and they have tons of character.

Between the 50 Takumars a lot depends how much cash you need. I prefer the IQ of the 1.8 and the 1.4 would raise more cash, so I'd be inclined to sell that and keep the 1.8.
I'm not after the cash, even though I don't have any Laughing I can't sell lenses, but will happily trade them for things I need etc. I only sell if it's for loose change.

Interesting what you say about the Vivitar. I'll keep an eye out for one after the Asanuma test. For all I know it might even be a known lens with a weird name. I'll post a picture later.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Did use use already P6 and finish scanning ? I use only ultra wide on 35mm due MF produce so much better result.
Yes, and the negs look good. Not digitised yet as I am currently without a digi camera for my copy kit, and scanner is only 35mm. I should be able to digitise in the next few months Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you can print the photos and scan the prints Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I'll go build a darkroom quickly then Shocked Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Orio wrote:
I'll go build a darkroom quickly then Shocked Laughing

How's the darkroom coming along - got it finished yet...? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Nearly finished building my kits Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:

Medium format:
Kit complete Cool

Oh no, you want to photograph in medium format those beautiful ladies who hang around you with a Sonnar 180 tele, or a Kaleinar 150 Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the CZJ Biometar 120, Sonnar 300, Spiegelobjektiv 4/500 and Spiegelobjektiv 5.6/1000...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Nearly finished building my kits Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

Medium format:
Kit complete Cool

Oh no, you want to photograph in medium format those beautiful ladies who hang around you with a Sonnar 180 tele, or a Kaleinar 150 Wink
Trust me Orio, those ladies need a WIDE angle lens Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Don't forget the CZJ Biometar 120, Sonnar 300, Spiegelobjektiv 4/500 and Spiegelobjektiv 5.6/1000...
I'd never use them. I think I put a long lens on a camera only twice last year Confused

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

120mm on 6x6 is similar to about 70mm or thereabouts on 135 so not that long.

The Biometar 120 is a very good lens by the way.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
120mm on 6x6 is similar to about 70mm or thereabouts on 135 so not that long.

The Biometar 120 is a very good lens by the way.
I'm becoming convinced there were no bad ones for that camera Cool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There weren't, at least within the Zeis Jena group anyway. One or two of the Russian lenses were a bit ropey though, based on what I've read.

I have a P6TL kit myself with Flektogon 4/50 MC, Flektogon 2.8/65, Biometar 2.8/80 MC, Biometar 2.8/120 MC, Sonnar 2.8/180 MC and Sonnar 4/300 MC along with various metered and unmetered prisms and the dinky wee eyepiece magnifier.

And I love it all. Cool Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
There weren't, at least within the Zeis Jena group anyway. One or two of the Russian lenses were a bit ropey though, based on what I've read.

I have a P6TL kit myself with Flektogon 4/50 MC, Flektogon 2.8/65, Biometar 2.8/80 MC, Biometar 2.8/120 MC, Sonnar 2.8/180 MC and Sonnar 4/300 MC along with various metered and unmetered prisms and the dinky wee eyepiece magnifier.

And I love it all. Cool Laughing
It's fast becoming my favourite camera. But it's a bugger hand-held with three dogs Confused

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need an RB67 boat anchor then - just tie all the dogs to that. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Nearly finished building my kits Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
Orio wrote:
GrahamNR17 wrote:

Medium format:
Kit complete Cool

Trust me Orio, those ladies need a WIDE angle lens Shocked

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You haven't seen what inhabits the area I live in - you'd need that Distagon 15 and still have to stitch images...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
You haven't seen what inhabits the area I live in - you'd need that Distagon 15 and still have to stitch images...
Shocked Sounds shocking Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly I'm really missing the Samsung GX10 that I sold. It was a fast way to test lenses Confused

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
bob955i wrote:
Shocked Sounds shocking Shocked

Trust me - it is.

Think Vicky Pollard and multiply by 2...

For width. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
SV or SP? If they're in similar condition I'd personally go with the SP, just for the meter, and chances are you might get more for the SV if you sell it.
You're bang-on there Peter. I'll miss the SV, but having two cameras is stopping me taking pics. I'll advertise the SV this evening, with it's add-on meter. I'll miss it Sad