Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

More Kodachrome 25...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: More Kodachrome 25... Reply with quote

This is the Wallace Monument near Stirling in Scotland from July 1989 shot on the usual Praktica BC-1 + Sigma Zoom Master 2.8-4/35-70 with Kodachrome 25. I was at 35mm for this one and still had to step back to get it all in. The access road to the monument turns a fairly sharp corner and you end up in the undergrowth unless you have a wider FL which I didn't at that time. I didn't have a PC lens either but I actually rather like the converging verticals in this shot.

Last edited by bob955i on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when you look up at a building like that with your naked eye you get converging verticals, so it looks real to me.

It reminds me of back in the day when I dabbled with Kodachrome - taking the shots, sure that you have some winners; sending the film off and waiting impatiently for Kodak to send the slides back; looking at them in the little blue plastic battery operated slide viewer, being excited at some and disappointed at others.

You must have been very pleased when viewing this one for the first time, Bob, as it is an excellent shot with lovely textures.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to comment skida.

The wait for the prints or slides was all part of the 'experience' I felt. It was always exciting too when the yellow envelope in the case of Kodachrome dropped through the letterbox.

I quite like this shot but I wish I had had something a bit wider for more framing options. At the time I was trying to get either a Flektogon 2.8/20 in M42 or a Prakticar 2.8/20 in PB as I was finding 35mm to be a bit too restrictive but neither the shop I got the camera from (Elena Mae) or Jessops could get any of those two lenses any more from the UK distributor for some reason.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fabulous shot Cool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the tones from this film. A brave man to use such slow film in the UK.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

IIRC in the past that's all you had that was decent..I remember B/W Ilford FP whatever was about 50 asa and it was a great event when they took the exposure safety factor off and made it 100asa or was it 125asa (again IIRC) Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

IIRC in the past that's all you had that was decent..I remember B/W Ilford FP whatever was about 50 asa and it was a great event when they took the exposure safety factor off and made it 100asa or was it 125asa (again IIRC) Wink

@ Excalibur: ISO125 for FP4.

That was why I went to K25 or K64 at a push as I essentially wanted the finest grain I could get for colour film and slow slide film was the only way to achieve that back then at least until Ektar 25 appeared anyway. I also preferred slide to print as I always felt IMO there was a depth to slide that print couldn't match, not even when comparing K25 with Ektar 25.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

That was why I went to K25 or K64 at a push as I essentially wanted the finest grain I could get for colour film and slow slide film was the only way to achieve that back then at least until Ektar 25 appeared anyway. I also preferred slide to print as I always felt IMO there was a depth to slide that print couldn't match, not even when comparing K25 with Ektar 25.

...but used to be FP3 64asa and Ilford kept the same emulsion and made it 125asa, and it looks like FP4 came out much later. It was a brave man who used Ilfrochrome at 10 asa in 1960 Wink

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Chronology.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
bob955i wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

...but used to be FP3 64asa and Ilford kept the same emulsion and made it 125asa, and it looks like FP4 came out much later. It was a brave man who used Ilfrochrome at 10 asa in 1960 Wink

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Chronology.html

Since I wasn't even a twinkle in my mother's eye in 1960 I shall have to salute those heroes of photography that braved the worst to shoot ISO10 slide. Cool

Gonna let us see some? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've never tried Ifrochrome Laughing but IIRC I've posted these Kodachrome 25asa shots before taken about 1970 and before ...Tak 55mm:- I'm using a cheapy old LG monitor ATM and the colours look off (might be ok with a better one).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't K25 a great film?

They both look as if they were shot recently. Cool

Colours look fine to me at least going by the QuickGamma tweaked monitor on my 7 year old Acer laptop - not that that's a benchmark. Laughing

The skintones on the first are largely what I'd expect from K25 based on my own Kodachromes and the second has that slightly UV cool look you'd expect by the sea anyway.

Why oh why did they discontinue the stuff? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
Wasn't K25 a great film?

They both look as if they were shot recently. Cool

Colours look fine to me at least going by the QuickGamma tweaked monitor on my 7 year old Acer laptop - not that that's a benchmark. Laughing

The skintones on the first are largely what I'd expect from K25 based on my own Kodachromes and the second has that slightly UV cool look you'd expect by the sea anyway.

Why oh why did they discontinue the stuff? Rolling Eyes

Indeed It was a great film, I would have used it more but it was expensive (to what I was earning) and I looked for cheaper alternatives like Perutz and Agfacolor..... the Perutz is not very good for longevity but the Agfacolor is doing well, and all my negs and pos are stored at room temperature.

Agfacolor and tak 55mm taken about 40-45 years ago in Ireland

Kodachrome again, scanned a few years ago, but I can probably get a better result as I'm more experience now (at scanning).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked Kodachrome for how it rendered reds - I did dally with Ektachrome and possibly some other films I forget the manufacturer of but gravitated back to K25 or K64 if I couldn't get K25.

I also tried the original Velvia when it first appeared in the early 90's and was suitably impressed with it but K25 always lured me back as it was process paid unlike the Fuji stock. It was only the closure of the Hemel Hempstead lab and subsequent transfer of processing to Lausanne in Switzerland that stopped me from continuing with Kodachrome and this was when I revisited Velvia. I later added Provia to the list of slide films I use for when I want something more flexible than Velvia and/or where the Velvia saturation level is not required.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodachrome 25 was special, I have no other words for it, it was unlike anything else, what a huge loss it has been.
I read of someone hoping to revive a lab in the USA but don't know if they managed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought I'd see the day when you walk into a camera shop and not see those familiar red and yellow boxes... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Kodachrome 25 was special, I have no other words for it, it was unlike anything else, what a huge loss it has been.
I read of someone hoping to revive a lab in the USA but don't know if they managed.

Well the film and processing would have to be reasonable if it was revived for ordinary photographers.... I wouldn't pay say £12 just for 24 shots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
Orio wrote:

Well the film and processing would have to be reasonable if it was revived for ordinary photographers.... I wouldn't pay say £12 just for 24 shots.

Not for everyday photos, but for special occasions yes.
For instance: wedding of your son, photo session with a great model, etc....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

You're probably talking about this one:

http://www.kodachromeproject.com/pages/contents.html

At the above link is a set of forums, one of which is dedicated to the resurrection of a Kodachrome processing machine that was literally rescued from the scrap heap. Not much traffic there recently. But I still hold out hope that this guy can pull it off.

Like you guys, I really miss Kodachrome. Didn't shoot much with K25. Mostly I shot K64 at ISO 80, and was very happy with the results. K25 was the king of fine grain, though.

I have a bunch of Kodachrome slides that my dad took in Korea during the war. That was a different process and I don't know what the ASA was of the film back then. Probably slow. But the slides look as if they were taken last week.