Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mir-1b hood anyone...???
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Mir-1b hood anyone...??? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I'm using my 37mm Mir more often now and leaving the 17-40L at home...Smile

However, I'm finding it's very prone to flare in bright conditions...

Has anyone discovered a hood that can be used to minimize this...???

Dougie.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No lens hood will do much when a bright light source is actually in the frame, but you could try one of the collapsible rubber ones for the rest of the time. If you're using APS-C format, try the hood in its various extended positions to see how far you can go without causing vignetting.

Just a thought - if the lens is producing flare regularly, check to make sure it's not got any internal misting, or even a finger mark on the back element Very Happy (But I guess you'll have done that anyway!)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any hood for 35mm lenses with 49mm filter thread will fit the Mir-1 without vignetting. I have a plastic Minolta hood for the MD 2.8/35 and a metal Pentax one for the Takumar 3.5/35, and both work OK on the Mir-1.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a vintage metal hood for that killer look or a rubber collapsible for better maneuverability. Any will do the job.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Matin Korea Reply with quote

Matin make a series of reversible-mounting lens hoods. They come in two parts - one is screwed into the filter ring and becomes the reverse-bayonet-mount for the hood itself. The hood can then be clicked into normal place or removed and reversed for storage. I have one on my Mir-1B. Works well but it is quite bulky having enough clearance to be generic to lenses with a given filter diameter.

However it sure beats the screw in "permanent" ens hood that has to be removed and stowed somewhere when not in use - might as well be stowed on the lens.

Tom