Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Migrating from Canon to Pentax
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strudelj wrote:

Yes I know, it is one of the main reasons for going from canon to pentax.

What is your main line of photography, what do you shoot?

Depending on that, IS is either totally useless or very usefull.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pst wrote:
strudelj wrote:

Yes I know, it is one of the main reasons for going from canon to pentax.

What is your main line of photography, what do you shoot?

Depending on that, IS is either totally useless or very usefull.

That's very wise, Patrick. strudelj did mention he shoots a lot in low light.

I have only one Canon IS lens, but I find the times I need it are very limited, if ever, and it doesn't make a vast difference. They say it gives 2 stops more latitude, which should mean you can use 2 shutter speeds slower hand-held, but I haven't always found that to be true. It's way way better to support the camera on something solid than rely on IS. If I was choosing a new camera now, good high-ISO performance would be far more critical than IS.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

strudelj did mention he shoots a lot in low light.

You are right, I forgot that. IMHO stabilization makes sense then.

@Peter: I concur.

My effort is to point out, that it's not a "must have" for every kind of photography, even if Marketing makes it seem so.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody shoots only moving objects. Especially not a manual lens shooter who doesn't value auto focus...

Olympus mirrorless 4/3 has image stabilization. I have not tried it, but if it's as good as the Pentax DSLR one and their high ISO performance improves, it will be a good option.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. Great the allure of the Takumar Smile
Pete

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge Pentax fan and love my K-7. The K-x, K-r, and K-5 are all cameras I've heard are great from people who use and own them.

It's a flawed comparison, but I also have had the best experiences with my Pentax SLRs compared to Nikon and Canon. That said, I do slightly prefer my F3 to my K1000. Were I to rank my commonly used film SLRs, it would be :

Nikon F3
Pentax K1000
Nikon N70
Canon AE-1
Canon RT

I don't know why, but the Canon's just don't grab me intellectually or emotionally in the same way that the Pentax and Nikon cameras do. Perhaps the Canons are too refined and too simplified. I dunno. Anyway, that somewhat informs my assumptions (correct or not) about the digital cameras.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

I don't know why, but the Canon's just don't grab me intellectually or emotionally in the same way that the Pentax and Nikon cameras do. Perhaps the Canons are too refined and too simplified.

Very good point, David! I had Pentax DSLRs for 3 years. They where real photographic tools, good to use, never got in the way. A real photographers camera! For a couple of reasons I switched to Canon. But I personally really like the "refined and simplified" design of Canon. But only the design, not operation. After more than a year they still have not "grown" on me. I have to think when changing the settings, I have to mingle around the camera searching for buttons...
We'll at the end of day, the 5DII with a couple of Canon lenses is still the better tool for me, besides I can use even more MF lenses, so I'm sticking with Canon.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give my poor (as in slim pocketed) noob opinion.

I bought a canon 1100d recently and I mostly regret I didn't buy a pentax k-x. The reason being, I had no idea other brands besides Canon and Nikon had cheap dSLRs on the market. I sure wasn't going to buy a samsung, sony, etc. I thought pentax was a bit off this market and only had expensive gear. I was obviously VERY wrong.

I do have an OM lens but all other manual focus lenses I have (four at the momment) are m42. So I don't know yet if lens compatibility would be an issue had I bought a pentax. I do notice the the prices of m42's on ebay are higher than OM's. So I don't know.

When I was a kid I remember canon was kind of in the lead. Then in the last 10 years, having owned quite a few P&S I would argue that canon has been in the lead in that market too, at least in the first half of the 2000, newer canon P&S's are average at best. Today I think canon is seriously loosing its excellence and reputation.
Overall I'm happy with my 1100d but it lacks the WOW factor. Maybe I shouldn't have bought the very cheapest model, but the K-x looks much more attractive for the same price.

Quote:
I don't know why, but the Canon's just don't grab me intellectually or emotionally in the same way that the Pentax and Nikon cameras do. Perhaps the Canons are too refined and too simplified.

Disappointingly, I feel that way about my camera. A few friends of mine have nikons and I've shot man pictures with them, then don't grab me intellectually or emotionally either.

One thing that canon still got right is the camera user interface. I love the button console.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jito wrote:
I sure wasn't going to buy a samsung, sony, etc.

Don't regret buying a Canon - the difference between DSLR brands at the lower end of the market are very small and the one you have chosen will mount more different types of lenses than most, so you can have lots of fun with it. I'm a traditional Pentax fan and my son uses a K-x, but I chose a Canon 400D myself exactly for that reason. You wouldn't be able to use your OM lens on a Pentax for example.

I don't like the 4/3 cameras myself, because of the small sensors, which turn wide angle lenses into normal lenses, but I think you might look again at Sony and Samsung whenever you think about a new camera. If you're a true MF lens anorak (like most of us on the forum Wink), the Sony NEX and Samsung NX cameras can use a lot wider range of lens types than even a Canon can, including the old lenses for rangefinder cameras etc. - AND they have the same size sensor and more sophisticated controls and performance as our Canons.