Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MF Lens on Canon 5D mark II?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: MF Lens on Canon 5D mark II? Reply with quote

Is there a list of compatible lenses to use with the 5D?
I mean.. I know this:

Nikon are all OK
M42 are all OK
Contax are OK unless hits the mirror
Leica R are OK unless hits the mirror
Minolta are impossibile to mount
Canon FD becomes macro
Olympus are all OK?
Pentax K may have some problems?
Rollei SRL?

Is there an exhaustive list?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only problem is the cost of the dslr, if a 15 euros lens doesn't work, put a 20 euros lens that work

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
only problem is the cost of the dslr, if a 15 euros lens doesn't work, put a 20 euros lens that work

OK Shocked
But this doesn't answer my question. Is there a site in witch I can know if I can mount for example Pentax K lenses I own or Mamiya RB lenses? (without losing infinity focus)
I want in particular know if I can mount Zeiss lenses made for the Rollei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried the sticky thread in the digital SLR section, specifically for the 5D Mark II?

http://forum.mflenses.com/5d-mark-ii-lens-compatibility-chart-t15761.html

By the way, there are quite a few M42 lenses which won't mount on the full frame Canon models.

As far as I'm aware, Rollei lenses won't reach infinity without adjustments to focusing or mount.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
have you tried the sticky thread in the digital SLR section, specifically for the 5D Mark II?

http://forum.mflenses.com/5d-mark-ii-lens-compatibility-chart-t15761.html

By the way, there are quite a few M42 lenses which won't mount on the full frame Canon models.

As far as I'm aware, Rollei lenses won't reach infinity without adjustments to focusing or mount.

Thank you! This is what I was looking for

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can mount minolta lenses on a 5d using an adpter with a corrective lens, but i'm almost sure that you lose some luminosity with very fast lenses (ie : a minolta rokkor 58mm f1.2)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of lists at pebbleplace.com which are specific to Leica R and Contax.

JJ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rimasson wrote:
You can mount minolta lenses on a 5d using an adpter with a corrective lens, but i'm almost sure that you lose some luminosity with very fast lenses (ie : a minolta rokkor 58mm f1.2)

It's useless like mounting FD.

jjphoto wrote:
There are a couple of lists at pebbleplace.com which are specific to Leica R and Contax.

JJ

Thank you Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth noting that both Minolta MC/MD and Canon FD lenses can be mounted on an EOS with mount conversions. Converting the Minolta to EF is trickier than it is to convert FD.

As was mentioned about the Minolta adapter, there are also adapters available for FD to EOS that will allow the lens to focus to infinity with a corrective element. Without it, just macro.

I have one of these FD-EOS adapters, and I've found that it works best with lenses that are f/4 or slower or stopped down that far. Faster than that there is a ghosting type of flare that occurs and the faster the lens the more of it there is until it becomes unusable by f/1.4 or so. But! For slower lenses, it actually works surprisingly well. I have an FD 400mm f/4.5 that I've used a LOT with my EOS using that adapter, and I've gotten some really great shots with it. So anyway, just so's ya know.

I find the adapter to be most useful for somebody like me who has both FD and EOS systems and uses both, thus doesn't want to convert the FD glass.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
It's worth noting that both Minolta MC/MD and Canon FD lenses can be mounted on an EOS with mount conversions. Converting the Minolta to EF is trickier than it is to convert FD.

As was mentioned about the Minolta adapter, there are also adapters available for FD to EOS that will allow the lens to focus to infinity with a corrective element. Without it, just macro.

I have one of these FD-EOS adapters, and I've found that it works best with lenses that are f/4 or slower or stopped down that far. Faster than that there is a ghosting type of flare that occurs and the faster the lens the more of it there is until it becomes unusable by f/1.4 or so. But! For slower lenses, it actually works surprisingly well. I have an FD 400mm f/4.5 that I've used a LOT with my EOS using that adapter, and I've gotten some really great shots with it. So anyway, just so's ya know.

I find the adapter to be most useful for somebody like me who has both FD and EOS systems and uses both, thus doesn't want to convert the FD glass.

Yes Michael I know.
There are converters with lens in it. But the quality is really a shame even at f/8. There are some wonderful lenses in the FD system and using like that for me is a crime.
Because you have the 400mm i suggest you to try it without the lens correction, you will get a long tele that doesn't focus at infinity but reaches some meters away.... but you'll get unbelievable quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quicksilver86 wrote:

There are converters with lens in it. But the quality is really a shame even at f/8. There are some wonderful lenses in the FD system and using like that for me is a crime.
Because you have the 400mm i suggest you to try it without the lens correction, you will get a long tele that doesn't focus at infinity but reaches some meters away.... but you'll get unbelievable quality.

Have you actually tried one of these adapters? Maybe I got a good one? It was advertised by the seller as having a correction element made by Hoya. Maybe that's why I get good results?

Here is a thread I posted yesterday, showing crops of images taken with the FD-EOS adapter and my 400/4.5 wide open.

http://forum.mflenses.com/squirrels-grackles-and-doves-t40783.html

And here is a rather exhaustive thread I posted on the subject:
http://forum.mflenses.com/canon-fd-to-eos-infinity-adapters-are-they-really-that-bad-t38661.html

So, if you're getting horribly bad photos using one of these adapters, I'd be very curious to see what these photos look like.

Me, I don't care what other folks think or say. I'll happily continue to use my FD-EOS adapter and get good photos despite what the received wisdom may be.

Don't mean to hijack the thread. I've said my piece.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: MF Lens on Canon 5D mark II? Reply with quote

I use Minolta MD/MC lenses with great success on my 5DMkII.
I have many.
You either convert the mount, or have someone perform this work.
My Minolta Rokkor 58/1.2 is my treasure.
There is also an adapter from Fotodiox, though, it has glass in it.
I bought this adapter to just play around with, as the best way is it convert the mount.
This gentleman does fabulous work:
http://www.jimbuchananspace.com/Camera_Services.html

I also have a Voigtlander Ultron in Rollei QBM mount, I use a QBM to EOS mount adapter.

quicksilver86 wrote:
Is there a list of compatible lenses to use with the 5D?
I mean.. I know this:

Nikon are all OK
M42 are all OK
Contax are OK unless hits the mirror
Leica R are OK unless hits the mirror
Minolta are impossibile to mount
Canon FD becomes macro
Olympus are all OK?
Pentax K may have some problems?
Rollei SRL?

Is there an exhaustive list?