Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MF artistic lens on a budget.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: MF artistic lens on a budget. Reply with quote

I'm looking for some lower cost artistic lens options. I like something that has a interesting art blur lens bokeh. Someone on the FM forums recommended the helios 44-2, and I found a 44-4, for a good price. I also grabbed a Canon FD 50mm 1.8 at the local camera shop. I really love the look of the helios 44-4. Thus, i'm looking for other options in the sub $100 - $150 range. Also something that is find-able... I'll be using it with adapters on my Canon EOS-M, so it needs to be able to adapt. I'm really looking for different looks, that allow me to gain inspiration. And thus think outside the box.

Now, I also have to be able to find and actually buy any recommendations...

Some examples on my helios 44-5, that I liked.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Diaplan / Pentacon AV 100mm/2.8 or 80mm/2.8 and a bit of tinkering.
Or Meyer Primotar 135mm/3.5. These all give accentuated background bokeh - soap bubble bokeh like the famous Trioplan 100.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bokeh, and a sharp lens. And, it's a cheap zoom - Tamron BBAR 85-210 f4.5

the sun was directly in front of the camera, but shining through trees and a carpet of bluebells.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar subject has been discussed previously here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/what-are-some-amazing-artistic-lens-t63866,start,30.html

I recommended the Sears 135mm f/2.8 with "Macro Zone":

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kido wrote:
Similar subject has been discussed previously here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/what-are-some-amazing-artistic-lens-t63866,start,30.html

I recommended the Sears 135mm f/2.8 with "Macro Zone":

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinon 1.7 55mm Leather Grip version
Such as this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chinon-55mm-1-7-Tomioka-Lens-M42-Pentax-Screw-Fit-DSLR-Adaptable-/231284997409?pt=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item35d9a8fd21

Normaly £20-30

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sears I think was also sold as tje Albinar ADG 135mm f/2.8 macro focus lens. The front 'macro' helical can be used for variable softness and background roundness... illustrated somewhat here
Fertility Rabbit with Three Degrees of Softness by Nesster, on Flickr

Also in Tamrons, the various 70-150's 02A 20A are not expensive and can produce some very nice effects
soft focus rose by Nesster, on Flickr
memorial flowers by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. It also produces nice photos when set to "normal" mode:

so it's quite a versatile package. Having said that, it's suppose to be a cheap lens, I paid about $15 for mine. Can see that for some sellers sky is the limit when it comes to pricing, but with some patience you'll get it cheaply if you want to.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta Rokkor f/1.2 50mm has a very creamy bokeh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentacon 50mm 1.8.
It's cheap, and extremely glowy, in a nice way, wide open, and plenty decent stopped down a bit.
It focuses very close so you can do some really artistic interpretations...

More Examples here:
Dedicated Thread

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudolfkremers wrote:
Pentacon 50mm 1.8.
It's cheap, and extremely glowy, in a nice way, wide open, and plenty decent stopped down a bit.
It focuses very close so you can do some really artistic interpretations...

More Examples here:
Dedicated Thread

Not bad, but copy variation is an issue. Mine was soft in the corners event at F5.6... So you might have to buy several, to get a good one.