Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Trioplan 2.8/100
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Meyer Optik Trioplan 2.8/100 Reply with quote

The weather took a turn for the better this evening, so I decided to take the Trioplan out for a stroll to see how it behaves.

This is one of the lenses I picked up in Berlin last Sunday, and if first impressions are anything to go by, I'm going to like it a lot Smile

1. @ f/2.8

2. @ f/5.6

3. @ f/5.6 - 100% crop

4. @ f/11

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice lens, good samples ! This lens started to be a legend when Maxim show his bicycle with this lens. It has an Exakta only variant Trioplan-N that is more sharp at wide open, but I think it has different character.

Last edited by Attila on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyer Optik Trioplan 2.8/100 Reply with quote

Mal1905 wrote:
The weather took a turn for the better this evening, so I decided to take the Trioplan out for a stroll to see how it behaves.

This is one of the lenses I picked up in Berlin last Sunday, and if first impressions are anything to go by, I'm going to like it a lot Smile

1. @ f/2.8

The glow is missing in this WO shot. I think you have a very sharp copy of this lens.
Mine is not as sharp open but , does have that Characteristic glow and Psychedelic bokeh.

Congrats. Now good luck getting that one off the lens mount Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Meyer Optik Trioplan 2.8/100 Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
The glow is missing in this WO shot. I think you have a very sharp copy of this lens.
Mine is not as sharp open but , does have that Characteristic glow and Psychedelic bokeh.

Congrats. Now good luck getting that one off the lens mount Laughing

Now I'm confused - I didn't think it was particularly sharp wide-open (the Hassie Planar T* 3.5/100 is much sharper) - and I'd love to see some samples of the glow and general psychedelia to which you refer!!!

In all though, I think it's a keeper for the €15.00 I paid for it - the guy I bought it from even caught up with me later in the day and gave me the lens-hood and brown leather case for it Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been browsing the other shots I took today and quickly edited this one - at first I thought the diagonal stripes were sensor-related, but a look into my back yard gave me some relief - they're power cables behind the fig tree!!!

5. @ f/2.8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well of course the 3.5/100 is a modern lens with genius coatings.
It will be sharper open than many lenses at f8.

Here is a sample I have handy on image shack of mine at wide open.
Well it was mine now it belongs to GusHelios but the copy I still hold gives similar results.
By comparison that shot of yours is quite sharp.

Keep clicking to get to the large image.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Well of course the 3.5/100 is a modern lens with genius coatings.
It will be sharper open than many lenses at f8.

Here is a sample I have handy on image shack of mine at wide open.
Well it was mine now it belongs to GusHelios but the copy I still hold gives similar results.
By comparison that shot of yours is quite sharp.

Oh man - that's insane! I love that bokeh - 'psychedelic' is a most appropriate descriptor Very Happy Thanks for sharing the image - I now have a better idea of how much I want a 'glowier' version!

I only compared it to the Hassie as it's the only other 100mm I've owned - how does the S-M-C Takumar 2.8/105 compare with the Meyer? I have one, but haven't really used it that much...if anybody has tested them together and has an opinion on one versus the other, I'd be delighted to hear it - it's not laziness, it's just dark outside Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The famous trioplan bokeh Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Yup!
To the Extreme Laughing

Sometimes the trioplan gets out of control Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:

Aaaahhhhhh - now it's clear (or not particularly so in this instance) - I thought it was just my shaky hands Embarassed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty mad!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this is better or worse than the Helios 40, which can give some pretty eyebending boke.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Don't know if this is better or worse than the Helios 40, which can give some pretty eyebending boke.

patrickh

Yeah you have that right.
Also the Biotar 1.5/75 can go a bit squirelly sometimes in oof area.
The Biotar and Helios are more radial around the center of frame at least you can predict it.
The Trioplan does his own thing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trioplan famous from NOT the bokeh, she is famous how handle colors, lights in some situation. Not universal lens , she can make unique photos if you know which subjects is best with Trioplan.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malachy, I still have a "glowy" copy waiting for you... Maybe you should sell your sharp one and I'll meet you for beer and give you the one I've been saving. If not don't worry, I'll sell it on....

I actually have two copies, you can test them and keep which ever one you prefer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal, that last Trioplan image looks like psychedelica to me! Sort of
a "Sgt. Pepper" bokeh, with a little Donovan thrown in. Laughing

Nice! I love the unpredictability! Makes it a lot fun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Forgive me, for I have reposted Reply with quote

Spotmatic, that is really trippy, I thought my copy was Out of Control....

Mal your copy definately looks sharper than mine.

As Andy said, I ended up with his old copy. I love the fact that I have no clue what I am gonna end up with till I get home and download the pics. It is interesting to say the least when focus and exposure become the least of my worries Smile

Excuse me for reposting these but I just love how this lens plays in the light.

Last edited by Gus Helios on Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:
Malachy, I still have a "glowy" copy waiting for you... Maybe you should sell your sharp one and I'll meet you for beer and give you the one I've been saving. If not don't worry, I'll sell it on....

I actually have two copies, you can test them and keep which ever one you prefer.

Hey dude - great idea - tried calling you last night about another lens, but no answer.

Let's hook up next week and discuss matters over cool, refreshing beers - and bring 'em both, you know what I'm like Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 Euros? Nice price.

Are there different versions of the Trioplan? I've seen a 15 blades one going on the bay for over 200 Euros. Which Trioplans are behind your pictures? Smile

Greetings,
bluecove

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluecove wrote:
15 Euros? Nice price.

Are there different versions of the Trioplan? I've seen a 15 blades one going on the bay for over 200 Euros. Which Trioplans are behind your pictures? Smile

Greetings,
bluecove

Don't know about different versions of this lens Bluecove - the one I picked up has 15 blades and it also has the number 1 inside a triangle, which I assume is similar to the '1Q' mark on other German lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Forgive me, for I have reposted Reply with quote

Gus Helios wrote:
Spotmatic, that is really trippy, I thought my copy was Out of Control....

Mal your copy definately looks sharper than mine.

As Andy said, I ended up with his old copy. I love the fact that I have no clue what I am gonna end up with till I get home and download the pics. It is interesting to say the least when focus and exposure become the least of my worries Smile

Excuse me for reposting these but I just love how this lens plays in the light.

I hadn't seen any of these before, so WOW!!! from me - and of course, thanks for reposting them.

'Trippius Maximus' - my new nickname for these lenses Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur Mal! VERY fine images from Gus; and yours is showing a lot of interesting beauty, as I indicated above.

How about a nickname like: Malcontent Bokeh Freak Show? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few more from today.
The flower is a major crop.This is the look I think of from Trioplan. Paint-like as some of the samples Gus shows.
Printed on canvas you may think it is not a photograph.

The second set shows the diversity of the lens.
The first is wide open. A nice soft glow yet with nice dimensionality.
The second at 5.6. Great sharpness and Contrast is very respectable.
Full size by request of any.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conor12 wrote:

Beautiful....

Clearly shows what I said this lens has unique character, don't look , bokeh, sharpness etc . Just look picture itself!

Congrats Andy!