Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Gorlitz Oreston 50mm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
I had this lens (sold now). Here's my series with it http://forum.mflenses.com/meyer-oreston-50mm-f1-8-t49265.html

It's a good lens, old school heavy build. Its party piece is close focusing ability. It does 1:4 without any tubes. The thing that I didn't like about that lens is the absence of A/M switch. This is not fatal, but makes changing the aperture less convenient than it could have been. For these reasons I prefer Pentacon MC 50/1.8, which is the same formula, same close focusing, lower weight and better flare resistance. However, the rendering of Pentacon is colder, no doubt due to the coating.

One of my all time favourite lenses.
Question: Any similar lenses out there with a similar close-focusing ability? Dreamy painterly I can find, but ALSO close-focusing? Would love to hear other comparable lenses exist. (roughly in that focal range)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8 has a very similar close focusing ability, maybe just slightly less close. The version I have is the one for the Exakta RTL camera, I haven't tried an M42 version. The version I have does have an A/M switch from memory.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I adapt all of my lenses to m and shoot on a helicoid. Zeiss pacolar is nice...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I think the CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8 has a very similar close focusing ability, maybe just slightly less close. The version I have is the one for the Exakta RTL camera, I haven't tried an M42 version. The version I have does have an A/M switch from memory.

Nice one, and still somewhat affordable it seems. I'll investigate!
Also, Practicar 50mm f1.4 but ouchy expensive!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alun Thomas wrote:
I think the CZJ Pancolar 50/1.8 has a very similar close focusing ability, maybe just slightly less close. The version I have is the one for the Exakta RTL camera, I haven't tried an M42 version. The version I have does have an A/M switch from me9mory.

The close focus of the Oancolar is 35 cm.
The Oreston/Pentacon/Prakticar v.1 is 33 cm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out some of the zebra Tessar 50mm f2.8 lenses also focus up to 35cm.
Nice!