Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Meyer Optik Domplian 50mm f2.8 M42 - two pictures
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Meyer Optik Domplian 50mm f2.8 M42 - two pictures Reply with quote

I just got this lens today, a little surprise from my housemate. What she didn't know, however, was that I've been thinking of getting a Domiplan for a while now. Why? It's not the best lens in the world but it is pretty and, even more importantly, it was the first lens on the first camera I ever owned (a Chinon CS my father gave me when I was eight years old). I'm interested to see what I can do with the same lens twenty years later Smile

It's dark now, but I got a couple of flash pictures with it this evening:

http://tinyurl.com/2bssuo

http://tinyurl.com/2ewxxb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! A lot of fun I'll bet, going back in time and shooting the same lens with a different view of the world! The images are VERY nice. I love the first image, with just the fingers, and mostly EYES from the cat! Cool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the first one has something captivatingly eerie to it!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pair Puplet. Cant tell from those what the Domiplan is like, but the kitties look cute

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty nice and considering that the Meyer's Domiplan its one of the cheapest M42 lens (cheaper even that some no-name lens like Hanimar/Hanimex, and others like that) its very good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice gift and I like the cats

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a good lens - but obviously it's ok if you stop it down to f8 and then use it in the dark. And photograph black cats Smile

I'm just happy my photography has improved since I was eight!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came back from a stroll with my 400D and this lens, and I have to say my copy is crap. The resolution is dismal and out of 50 photos not one was really sharp. I also quickly concluded that my copy focuses well beyond infinity. The border resolution is also crap, and I don't even want to begin to imagine how it would've looked on a full-frame camera. I'm glad I got this lens really cheap.

I hope my Meyer 30mm, which I haven't really had the chance to try out yet, is better. My hopes aren't high after this trainwreck of a lens.

And sorry for pushing and old thread up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, the Domiplan looks like a capable lens, even mine not able to focus to infinity on the 350D.

(I did the same with the Voigtlander Vitoret, it was my first "serious" camera at that time and I collected some to see whay I can do after so much time.)

The matter is having fun with it, the kitten pictures were very nice.
The second one, being less dark shows a remarkable sharpness.

Much better to popup older threads than open new ones with the same topic, Wink

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domiplan was really cheap 3-element design. Lack of 4th element cause very low resolution in edges. I have no personal experience, but a person I trust, said to me, that Domiplan is even less sharp in corners, than wide-opened M42 f/1.2 lenses. But if you want a special effect - why not Smile

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no-X wrote:
Domiplan was really cheap 3-element design. Lack of 4th element cause very low resolution in edges. I have no personal experience, but a person I trust, said to me, that Domiplan is even less sharp in corners, than wide-opened M42 f/1.2 lenses. But if you want a special effect - why not Smile

This is no true, Domiplan is a fine little lens.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did I say that Domiplan isn't fine? I think it can be just as fine as my 55/1.2 Yashinon Very Happy