Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manual lens and AEL
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Manual lens and AEL Reply with quote

Guys,

Is there any earthly way of combining the AEL function with manual lens on a digital body or is it AF lens only feature!?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbreviations can always be misunderstood, but I presume you mean Automatic Exposure Lock,
perhaps on a Canon EOS body? If so, which shooting mode are you using: P, Tv, Av or M?

When using a manual lens, it normally makes sense to use either mode M or Av.
In mode M you are in command, but I can see some use for the AEL button in Av mode.

If I have completely misunderstood your question, please re-phrase it Smile

Last edited by twinquartz on Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any manual lens applied to a digital camera will let you shoot in aperture priority mode,
of course you must remember to stop down the lens manually, because selecting aperture on the camera won't work!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon me for being so unmindful; the camera is Sony SLT-A33 and yes AEL stands for Automatic Exposure Lock.

I use the feature from time to time on my AF lenses and I was wondering if it can be used with older manual lenses w. M42-MAF AF confirmation adapter.

I normally shoot in Aperture mode.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SinfulSaint wrote:
Pardon me for being so unmindful; the camera is Sony SLT-A33 and yes AEL stands for Automatic Exposure Lock.

That is a feature that is related with the camera and metering only, and should definitely not be affected by the type of lens mounted.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it works on my a55.
I think I used it only a couple of times, but I remember having used it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not experiment with your favourite manual lens
and run through all mode settings?
Since you have a digital camera, it will just take a few
minutes before you can compare the shots.
Using the Av mode, target a certain spot, for instance
next to a window; lock exposure; re-target, point
the camera in the middle of the window, take the photo
-- i.e. just as you yould use AEL with an AF lens.