Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Manfrotto 190XPROB
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Manfrotto 190XPROB Reply with quote

I am tired of my old tripods, I would like one that is maybe not professional, but good enough to be used for both photo mode and video mode in case I need to make video.
I was thinking of Manfrotto 190XPROB, which I read can be set horizontal for macro and product shots.
Manfrotto tripods here can be found with decent prices.
I was wondering if anyone has ever used this model, and your opinion. Also I would like to know what head did you choose for it.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no direct experience with the 190XPROB, but I have a 055XPROB.
My understanding is that the 190 series is a bit smaller & shorter overall,
and potentially not quite as stable as the 055 series. If you seek lighter
weight and a smaller collapsed size, the 190 is the winner.

I am very happy with my 055, though it is a somewhat large and heavy
tripod. As a result, it's been rock-steady for me. It extends tall enough
without raising the center column to be perfectly comfortable to use
by tall people. The center column also goes horizontal, and can even
be reversed for low-to-the-ground use, just like the 190. I topped mine
with a Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head, which has been superceded by the
newer 498RC2 head, that includes a separate friction control.

However, a fluid panning head may be more appropriate for video use.
I've been learning that a fluid head offers considerably smoother panning
action, though at the loss of versatlilty offered by ballheads.

Overall, the differences come to weight & size, with the 055 the larger
and heavier; the 190 smaller and lighter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
I have no experience on those models, so all advice and information is welcome.

Ideally I would like a head that is suited for all photographic situations, but also offers some kind of "friction and damper" (don't know if these are the right words) for smooth panning in videos.
I'm asking too much? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it would help you, Orio, I managed to purchase the 055XPROB legset
and 488RC2 ballhead for a total of USD $244 for the pair.
At the time, the cost was almost USD $100 less than the average. I simply got lucky. Wink

I would advise you to look into the 055 instead of the 190, simply because
it's a much more solid and substantial legset. Either of these tripods will
accept any standard-mount head you wish to install to them, and you can
easily spend a pittance all the way up to a small fortune on a head.
However, the combination of the 055XPROB legs with the 498RC2 head
is very often recommended as an exceptional value for an extremely
solid
legset and ballhead combination, all at what is considered a bargain
price for such a reliable and sturdy setup.

I will attest that the materials and construction of the Bogen/Manfrotto
products are indeed of very high quality, with fit and finish as I expected
it to be for a $250 tripod/head combo setup. If you're seeking very high
quality without spending your yearly income, then look no further than
Bogen/Manfrotto. They have the decided advantage of being a long-proven
contender in the market, and I am extremely pleased with the two
Bogen/Manfrotto setups I now own.

I will further qualify my remarks by stating that I have no affiliation
whatsoever with Bogen/Manfrotto, other than as a very satisfied customer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Manfrotto 190XPROB Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I am tired of my old tripods, I would like one that is maybe not professional, but good enough to be used for both photo mode and video mode in case I need to make video.
I was thinking of Manfrotto 190XPROB, which I read can be set horizontal for macro and product shots.
I was wondering if anyone has ever used this model, and your opinion. Also I would like to know what head did you choose for it.
Thanks.

I do have this very tripod. I think it is quite nice, and the middle pole can indeed be tilted horizontally (though, it is not too stable IMHO when in such position). It is light and quite fast to set up, but it also has a problem, and that is the it's stability under high wind. But I guess it's not really meant for such weather. For a hobbyist tripod I think it does have rather nice bang/buck ratio.

I can not talk about video though, as I don't shoot video, but if your gear if heavy, the relative lightness of the tripod might become a problem.

If I were to buy a new tripod now, I would probably buy the manfrotto 458B Neotec Pro Photo Tripod due to it's superfast setupspeed and higher stability.

If set-up-speed is not relavent, you might want to buy the big brother of the 190, 055 instead - I think I would prefer it now in spite of the extra weight.

Still, I am quite happy with the 190 - I rarely shoot with a tripod, so a stronger tripod would be overkill, though still, I would choose differently now.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Anu on Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio,

190 is a nice solid tripod - not very heavy so you can carry it around in your car for some landscapes.

I got it with the 3 axis head (804RC2) which for me felt solid than the ballhead.

For video there is a special head with the panning function.

Paid for both tripod and head about 230 EUR locally 2 years ago
and it was a purchase I'm still happy with Smile

The tripod is good .. nothing to worry about.

The only thing is that you need to tighten the screws holding the head - I lost 2 of them in last 2 years so have to find a replacement.

Can post some pics if you are interested Smile

BR,
Stefan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Manfrotto 190XPROB Reply with quote

Anu wrote:
Orio wrote:
Thanks.

I do have this very tripod. I think it is quite nice, and the middle pole can indeed be tilted horizontally (though, it is not too stable IMHO when in such position).

I have to correct myself now - I just checked the tripod as I hadn't touched it for a year or so. Ihad actually forgotten all about it.

The horizontal position is actually also very solid, no problems. Only the time one turns it and adjusts the vcenter pole when in horizontal position, it feel really wobbly, but when tightened, it is solid.

Regarding the head, I prefer heads with handles, so I use 804RC2 which I do like much. I'd imagine it would be solid for temporary video work as well, though for video one might want to have actual video head.

You shoukd check the manfrotto web site, as it is rather informative.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now remember one issue I have withi this tripod, though your kilometriage (down with imperial system) may wary: the tripod is not tall enough foor me without raising the center bar, and even at maximum heitgh it will still be too short for those medium sized men who want to stand with their back straight while shooting. For them the big brother 055 is a better choise.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like everything I already talked about. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I "recorded" all information Wink
THere is a camera fair in Padova next week. I hope there is a Manfrotto stand to take a close look and handle the models.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkedAddled wrote:
I have no direct experience with the 190XPROB, but I have a 055XPROB.
My understanding is that the 190 series is a bit smaller & shorter overall,
and potentially not quite as stable as the 055 series. If you seek lighter
weight and a smaller collapsed size, the 190 is the winner.

I am very happy with my 055, though it is a somewhat large and heavy
tripod. As a result, it's been rock-steady for me. It extends tall enough
without raising the center column to be perfectly comfortable to use
by tall people. The center column also goes horizontal, and can even
be reversed for low-to-the-ground use, just like the 190. I topped mine
with a Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head, which has been superceded by the
newer 498RC2 head, that includes a separate friction control.

However, a fluid panning head may be more appropriate for video use.
I've been learning that a fluid head offers considerably smoother panning
action, though at the loss of versatlilty offered by ballheads.

Overall, the differences come to weight & size, with the 055 the larger
and heavier; the 190 smaller and lighter.

+1

I opted for the 055 as it was longer and more sturdy.

FWIW consider at what height you be using it. I rarely have mine set above waist level, so the shorter model would suffice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the combo of 055XPROB and 488RC2 for the last two years now and I agree with Craig on his detailed analysis.

On a more personal note this combination is very heavy for carrying all day long. If you are looking for something equally sturdy and lighter in weight then try the carbon fibre series. The legs are also for tall people. I struggle with eye-level viewing with the legs fully extended (I am just a shade under 6' in height). This of course can be solved by partially extending the legs.

There is another thing that I want to highlight. I am not a big fan of the center column, but the CC of the 055XPROB is not removable as with the older model 055PROB (without the X). If one requires the horizontal quick positioning of the CC then the 055X is the way to go. If someone wants to remove the CC then the tripod has to be modified. (055XPROB Modification).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Manfrotto 190 and sold it. Now I do regret that. The 190 series is a bit smaller and lighter than the 055 series. That would be good for some vacations with smaller luggage. I do not have a car and travel with wife, and 2 years old daughter with the train.

I bought a Manfrotto 055B ~ 20 years ago. And I still use it as my main tripod.
I lost a handle, but got it from Manfrotto easily. I lost a bumper of the feet, and got it from Manfrotto / Multiblitz 20 years after I bought the tripod for very small money (3 pieces for I think 5 Euro including shipping).

Because the 055 is a bit heavy, I bought a second one (from Bogen) very cheap used, and that is a my main vacation site Smile

Once, ~15 years ago I fastened the column to much - I am sometimes a bit violent. The Base (?) broke. But with a big hose clamp I repaired that - it is still ok after 15 years!

I reccomend Manfrotto tripods - expect the Manfrotto 785B.