Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Man portrait session Pentax K10d Pentax DA35mm f/2.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Man portrait session Pentax K10d Pentax DA35mm f/2.4 Reply with quote

Hi! I've returned with the freshest portrait session. I like it very much and that's why I'm sharing it with you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any comments?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salatik wrote:
Any comments?

Ok, here's my opinion:

All the photos have a flare veil, you should use a lens hood.

Most poses are not convincing for me, #2 is good, #4 is good, but the other poses look forced, with the subject staring freezed, and the subject seems at unease in front of the camera.

Crops of #2 #3 #5 are good, but some of the other crops do not work well, e.g. crop of #6 is not good looking
I think that a lot of these photos would have looked better if either you did photograph the whole figure, feet included (like you do in fashion shots),
of if you photographed the classic portrait head and shoulders.
For instance, #4 would have been better cropped head and shoulders; #6 #7 and #1 would all have been better as whole figure.

Generaly speaking, having the subject stare fixed at some distant point is never a good idea in portrait photography.
Better to either look into camera, or look down for instance, or even eyes closed (whatever may suggest internal thoughts).
Fixed gaze into the distance can work if subject is in profile as in #4 (because it is plausible that he may not see you).
Otherwise, with frontal or quasi-frontal portraits, it generates a feeling of distance and non-careness in the viewer
(like "you are in my field of view, but I don't care about you").

Cheers,

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for opinion but I didn't understand about flares. I haven't noticed any. It was a cloudy weather with soft light so I didn't think about a hood.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salatik wrote:
Thanks for opinion but I didn't understand about flares. I haven't noticed any. It was a cloudy weather with soft light so I didn't think about a hood.

I mean veiling flare (like if it was haze), not reflection flares as in iris ghosts.
Lenses that don't have a very strong coating do flare even if there is no strong sunlight. Overcast day may seem weak, because diffused, but the light is still very strong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok. It's not a haze I think. It's because of post processing. I've tried to make colors ant tones are more similar to film.