Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya-Sekor 80mm 1:2.8 N (645)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Mamiya-Sekor 80mm 1:2.8 N (645) Reply with quote

I bought this lens (Mamiya-Sekor C 80mm 1:2.8 N) for under $50 (looks quite used, but very nice glass). I checked eBay, and Mamiya 645 to EOS adapters seem to be more expensive than the lens itself. Is it worth adapting? Will I get image quality similar or better than CZJ Biometar / Volna in P6 mount when used on 5DmkII?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth buying an adapter (Fotodiox Pro is recommended) only if you intend to try other Mamiya 645 lenses too. Having the 80/2.8 is a good reason to buy a Mirex tilt/shift adapter (€400). Smile

Some examples from someone who uses this combo of Mirex+80/2.8:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/882423/19#8618598

Review:
http://www.slrlensreview.com/web/mamiya-slr-lenses-158/standard-645-slr-lenses-160.html

I use a Mamiya 645 200/2.8 APO on my 5D and this lens captures mindblowing amounts of detail. The M645 120/4 Macro is also extremely good and 150/2.8 (not macro) and 35/3.5 N also.

In my opinion even the 80/2.8 is better than the P6 Biometar. At least the bokeh is much better.

Some more interesting posts on M645:
http://forum.mflenses.com/how-about-the-mflens-80-2-8120mounts-price-t30303.html#1049860
(down on that page is an example of (IMO) bad bokeh from the biometar)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the links - they'll keep me busy for a while! I do plan to get other Mamiya lenses if it's worth it picture quality wise; a 150/3.5 N is coming my way, and I have a chance to get a 55/2.8 N and 210/4 C for $100 and $60 respectively.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting the Fotodiox Pro adapter, get it from ebay. You'll get the most recent type (although they use pictures of an older type) and don't pay the shipping (that you pay when buying through their website).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
If you're getting the Fotodiox Pro adapter, get it from ebay. You'll get the most recent type (although they use pictures of an older type) and don't pay the shipping (that you pay when buying through their website).

Is there a real difference between Fotodiox Pro and other adapters (I am talking specifically about Mamiya-EOS adapters)?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
It's worth buying an adapter (Fotodiox Pro is recommended) only if you intend to try other Mamiya 645 lenses too.

Thank you for that recomendation. Laughing Instantly bought it at Ebay, as I wanted to try some Mamiya lenses, I have, on the 5DII. Specially my 1,9 80mm.

Greetings
Klaus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Is there a real difference between Fotodiox Pro and other adapters (I am talking specifically about Mamiya-EOS adapters)?

I didn't try other adapters but almost all people I know who use M645 lenses on Canon use (and recommend) this adapter. It is quite a nicely machined piece. Still not 100% perfect though, with heavy lenses like the 200/2.8 APO.

@exaklaus: You're welcome. I've seen very nice results from the 80/1.9, but also some weaknesses (quite hard edge bokeh and CA). It all depends on how you use it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 150/3.5 N is here, and it's a gorgeous piece in absolutely mint condition. I wonder how it fares against the Super-Takumar 150/4... we'll see. I think I should get the adapter now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:

@exaklaus: You're welcome. I've seen very nice results from the 80/1.9, but also some weaknesses (quite hard edge bokeh and CA). It all depends on how you use it.

Yes, just tried that 1,9 lens by holding it in front of the camera. No smooth bokeh, but the sharpness wide open is amazing!

Klaus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Fotodiox Reply with quote

Received the Fotodiox adapter for Mamiya-Eos today. Perfectly made!
Hope to get out today or tomorrow for a shooting with the Mamiya 1,9.

Klaus