Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Look at this !!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Look at this !! Reply with quote

http://www.pbase.com/recbo/compare_75_80_85

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is great. He really puts a lot of time and money into lens research. All done with Sigma I think so, lots of customizing. Impressive results with the old lenses.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes !! He is a very nice guy we are keep mailing he gave many excellent material to improve mflenses.com.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I forgot to mention that. He is a really nice guy. He bought a lens from me. Afterward he forwarded many useful bits of info re: Sigma foveon cameras to me over a couple months. It is great to find such people. I think it is good to give them some recognition. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we could induce him to join the forum? We already have a couple of Sigma users dont we?

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really should invite him!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's do. I will forward this thread to him.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I invitated him at very first time I hope you will have better luck.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see these ancient Biotars. I love theirs design and they're also great good lenses for use today! There's some mistake in the description below the photo: http://www.pbase.com/recbo/image/92519049/large

Lens on right is the oldest, two lenses on left are newer, two lenses in centre are the newest (after 1952; the design is typical for lenses from 50's). Look at the serial numbers and the describe of focal length (till 1952 focal length of CZJ lenses was signed in centimetres and then in millimetres).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I sent the link and a short message. We will see what happens. Hopefully Bob will join. These results are really impressive. I want to look at them more with my real monitor at home (I'm on the iPhone). It really shows how old designs are still very relevant. I expected the Contax to show it's youthfulness in the crop. Not so apparently.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshine wrote:
I expected the Contax to show it's youthfulness in the crop

what about the iPhone lcd youthfulness Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Attila persuaded me to look at Carl Zeiss Jena lenses.

Andy inspired me to try a Russian cine lens as a macro lens. It works for dof and it's a macro lens that zooms, but I have only looked through the viewfinder so far. I bought some Cook-Taylor-Hobsons and Cine Ektars to try at that also.

Alf DaSigmaGuy in Sigma forum at dpreview.com taught me a lot about manual lenses and conversions.

dslr and computer allow us to get more than ever out of biotar 75, because we can adjust the white balance to each aperture setting and lighting condition. Otherwise the lens is as sharp as we could want.

As I looked at the 1930's Biotar 75mm f1.5, it had several signs of forgery. I had been to a web site that said to look for the right size of red triangle, the red T, small letters saying certain things on the front ring. No red triangle, big widely spaced lettering on the front ring, and I was wondering if I had been snookered. Then I tested the lenses, and the old biotar 75 did better than the 1951. I haven't tried the second version fat biotars yet. I expect their optics to be the same, but their irises do not have so many leaves for the bokeh.

Luis Guevera is converting Leica R lenses to Sigma. I would like to convert R directly to Sigma mount plate but I can't afford a Leica lens yet. Luis thinks he can modify the SD14 ir-dust filter to allow more R lenses and some M42 like Yashinon 28/2.8 and Pancolars to fit where the rear element is too long now. Pancolars work to 30-40 feet or ten to 12 meters on SD14, good enough for portraits, but Yashinon 28/2.8 and 55/1.4 not at all.

It would be easy to convert most Zuiko and Contax lenses to M42. A few of the Zuiko primes have ED glass. So far I am converting them to Sigma, but after I get one of each for myself, I will try M42.

M42 originated with the eastern German cameras, didn't it? And slr, too?

R: forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=26413223

Last edited by BobDodds on Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:10 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Bob. We are all just a fun bunch of glass junkies. Your experiences and opinions will be a welcome addition. Most of us use Canon, Nikon, and Olympus cameras. It will be great to see the results you get from the Sigma Foveon with some of the lenses we all have in common.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome on board, Bob. I am interested in seeing Foveon sensor photos. I suffer from the limitation of the CCD/CMOS sensor in blues and reds. But I am not ready to hardware-convert my lenses. So I hope that in the future the Foveon sensor may find it's way on cameras that allow me to use my current set of lenses with adapters.

Quote:
M42 originated with the eastern German cameras, didn't it? And slr, too?

Yes it was Zeiss Contax S in 1949 the first camera to feature the M42 mount.
As for SLR, I am not 100% sure but I think the first SLR camera was an Exakta model (also German).

-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get a Zeiss lens for everything, then Zuiko for everything. In film I only used Olympus. That's a lot of lenses, but one could also compare Nikon and Leica R and Canon EF lenses on Sigma Foveon. I'd like to at least try one Leica and one Nikon lens.

I might end up using mostly Zeiss with a CZJ biotar 75 and a Tomioka 55mm f1.2, and a parallel universe of all Zuiko. Zuiko does not have quality through the entire range, but there are a number of masterpieces in their line-up.

A few more weird masterpieces might be Spiratone or Porst or Raynox 135/1.8, and Porst or Cosina 55mm f1.2.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Bob you have a lot to offer this group. I remember Alf Dasigmaguy well - lived in Fulham London near where I grew up. He was pretty obsessed with the foveon look and used some of the crazier lenses I have seen (but managed extraordinarily well with them). I came very close to getting a Sigma (days of the SD9) but could not get around the proprietary software/lenses issues at that time. I also cannot be convinced that Sigma lenses are the best (although I do own and use 2 of them). Now you can show us how well all these lovely old lenses are interpreted on the Sigma. I for one am anxiously waiting to see. That sample of the Biotars was terrific. I agree with Orio on the colour issues with our traditional chips - nikons are notoriously difficult with reds - although I have recently seen signs of improvement with some of the older russian lenses. I have no idea why that should be. But welcome indeed - and you will be supporrt for the couple of sigma users already among us.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob, nice to see you here!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Bob!
Thanks for joining. It is always nice to get some "fresh blood", eps. when it brings useful knowledge. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I like the way both Sigma and Fuji are attempting different sensors to the norm.