Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lightroom 4 - Capture One Pro 7 comparison
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Lightroom 4 - Capture One Pro 7 comparison Reply with quote

If you click on the images, the full resolution version should come up.

I did my best to make the two "developments" equivalent, not for colours (did not mind correcting colours),
but for detail appearance.
Specifically, I tried to apply the (visually) same amount of sharpening in both programs.
Capture One Pro 7 claims to have implemented a new system of interpolation of RAW data that gives them
a sharpness perception advantage equivalent to about double the actual resolvance of the image.
I would hesitate on the definition of the actual amount, but I have to admit that the images converted with COP7
do indeed show a micro-contrast that is superior to the images generated by LR4.
It is clear that the resolvance itself can not be changed (it is limited by the camera hardware), but indeed the images
of COP7 appear distinctly neater while not showing any of the typical side effects of excessing sharpening such as
staired curves and halos.
I let you see for yourself and form your own opinion:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that's the most interesting subject I've seen for a sharpness test.

And I can see a tiny difference even at 1024 pixels, in the mesh around the bell.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the difference is frankly astonishing.
tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, back to the drawing board....

Quite a difference indeed.

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but I won't say "tiny", there is a notable difference at full size...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is quite a difference in sharpness. What is Capture One like in other areas though?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see much difference myself - except that on the first the sharpening and contrast looks more aggressive.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White looks much better in the first pic
Colors of the stonework are looking better in the first pic
Clarity, sharpness, dark areas and fine details are also looking better in the first pic
Only the blue of the sky looks better in the second pic imho.

Overall I would clearly prefer the first one
But second would look much better after adding some sharpness, contrast, clarity and a tack dynamik range in the dark areas manually.
I'm a big LR4 fan but I should clearly give the other software a try.

A question would be if both RAW engines are working equally good with the RAW-Formats of the different cameras

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be clear, the COP7 image is the result of some trick, there is obviously not more resolution than the LR4 image.
So I agree with those that say that the image looks sharper because of a more "aggressive" treatment.
The point is that I am not able to replicate that aggressive look with LR4 without producing some sharpening or clarity artifacts.
The COP7 image instead looks clear of artifacts. That is remarkable IMHO. And a proof that whatever they do, they do it before
the image gets post-processed.

Having that said, it remains entirely subjective what to prefer. Some may prefer the softer look of the LR4 even with a perception
of inferior sharpness, because indeed the COP7 image looks hard-edged somehow.
My personal stance is that I would decide based on the image. There are some images that would benefit from the COP7 treatment.
Other images that would look better the way LR4 handles it.

P.S. do not judge on the colours. I did not process the colours.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
What is Capture One like in other areas though?

In some things it's better, in other things it's worst (than LR4).
CA and fringing control, for what I tried so far (did not make extensive testing yet) are more or less equivalent.
Both apps now control CA and fringing very effectively. It can be called a solved problem, really. People who sold good lenses
because of CA can start to regret that now (me included, I wish I did not sell the 300mm Tessar now).
COP7 has introduced now the "catalog" concept as in LR4. I have not tried it yet. I think that LR4 catalogs are the best solution
ever made for handling pictures. It'll be very hard for COP7 to improve on that.
Moiré reduction used to be a COP feature only, but now LR4 has introduced it in the local adjustments, so that is balanced now.
Neither of them seem perfect though. Perhaps COP7 a little better.
One great feature that COP7 has and LR4 has not, it's the lens profiling. With COP7 you can create lens profiles that include corrections
to distortion, vignetting, and, most importantly, colour shifts.
Those who use digital rangefinder/viewfinder cameras can understand how useful it is - many rangefinder wide angle lenses produce
colour shifts at the edges because of the proximity of the lens' exit pupil to the sensor.
With COP7 it is possible to create profiles that include color shift information and can be applied to images in batch. You can even create
a profile for every aperture stop of a lens if you want. That is a great feature that makes a lot of wide angle lenses fully useable on digital
rangefinder/viewfinder cameras.

One thing that both software lack at the moment, is the option (as implemented in some cameras already, for instance Canon 650D)
to combine multiple photos for noise reduction. Much more useful -in my opinion- than HDR. Of course it can work only for static images on a tripod.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way: you can try COP7 for 60 days, works fully without limitations. I am on trial, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!
They are very much alike -- but at the same time not Smile
To me, the biggest difference is in what is visible in the
shadow parts (where LR4 seemed to be not so good; however
I brought that photo into Photoshop CS6, and it was very
easy to lift the shadow parts to equal the competing software).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the differences may be, the fact is that when one company produces a noticeably better product they raise the bar for everyone else. LR4 was Adobe's response to competition from several sources - as a result of which they improved almost every aspect of the product and reduced the cost in order to compete more effectively. C1Pro is very expensive in the world of raw processors and they have to keep improving to maintain a semblance of market share by offering more than everyone else. This is the nature of real competition.

and to keep them all honest we have the enthusiasts who provide their skills for free - GIMP and darktable are very competitive both in features and price!

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can lift the shadows in LR4 very easy too.
I'm amazed how good is the dynamic range my old 20D when tweaking raw files in LR.
much better than the old DPP software i was using few years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: New DP Review Comparison Reply with quote

DP Review has compared these two and DXOPro

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8219582047/raw-converter-showdown-capture-one-pro-7-dxo-optics-pro-8-and-lightroom-4/3

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: New DP Review Comparison Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
DP Review has compared these two and DXOPro
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8219582047/raw-converter-showdown-capture-one-pro-7-dxo-optics-pro-8-and-lightroom-4/3
patrickh

Thanks Patrick for this link
I think that COP7 proves to be better overall. In sharpening, it looks sharp while still looking natural. DXO looks too sharpened, Lightroom looks much softer.
In noise, DXO looks too aggressive to me, LIghtroom too noisy (I never use LIghtroom noise reduction), COP7 looks ok although not as good as NOise NInja in my opinion
In moire control, Lightroom looks better here, COP7 second, DXO last. But I have tried to remove moire from more colourful areas, and there, COP7 did better for me than Lightroom, because Lightroom removed too much colour.

For the moment, I'll keep using Lightroom, because I have all my collection organized inside it with catalogues.
But I think that for special images, I will use COP7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my organization through Media Pro, which I have used for several years. They are now owned by Capture One nd I think the main processing software may have absorbed much of those features. Personally I love the way it renders jpegs produced by LR and ASP.

patrickh

PS I am following the NN processor with interst, as I think it has the capacity to be the best of them all.