Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lenses I received today as a package deal
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:40 am    Post subject: Lenses I received today as a package deal Reply with quote

I received a package deal of 6 cameras-3 Exaktas- with Xenon 50mm f1.9, Pancolar 50mm-f2 and a Domiplan. I also received a Praktica with a Primoplan 50mm f1.9(The whole thing looked good to me just because of this lens.). And 2 Agfa cameras.

Unfortunately the Primoplan to my horror was infected with fungus.--and I cannot clean it off completely-I tried the cold cream plus naptha method. Sad

The Schneider Xenon has aperture blades that are needing cleanup-they're responding very x 2 slowly. Anybody familiar with this version of Xenon-?

I have communicated to the seller for a small refund rather than ship it back-the box is heavy with the 6 cameras.

Regards

Last edited by Kathmandu on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you taken any test images with the primoplan?... to see how bad the etching of the fungus may effect picture quality.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The whole thing looked good to me just because of this lens.

To me Xenon is best from the package

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAZA wrote:
Quote:

It certainly was the premium option when you bought your new Exakta. I have one that came with a VXIia. It is a decent performer. If you depress the shutter release and rotate the black collar you essentially turn the lens into a manual aperture lens. Think of it like the A/M switch on a Super Takumar.

I am looking forward to see what kind of images you get.

P.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Have you taken any test images with the primoplan?... to see how bad the etching of the fungus may effect picture quality.

I'll have to take some photos -its sitting in a UV box at the moment.
To my surprise and delight I received a "Starwars" Pancolar in Exakta mount. The glass on this is amazingly nice-the focus aperture all appear to be A1. I had an old M42 mount from an old, "Starwars" Tessar. I swapped the mount and now I have an excellent Pancolar for use. Very Happy So it wasn't all bad, I guess.

IAZA wrote:

Thats nice to hear. I have seen some great sample images from it.
I need to open this baby up and flood the blades in Naptha or clean it in some fashion-its between slow and stuck. A few shakes gets it to the aperture I set it to.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:
IAZA wrote:
Quote:

It certainly was the premium option when you bought your new Exakta. I have one that came with a VXIia. It is a decent performer. If you depress the shutter release and rotate the black collar you essentially turn the lens into a manual aperture lens. Think of it like the A/M switch on a Super Takumar.

P.

too bad, I always lost in bidding to get this. So it kinda wish list Very Happy
Pancolar 50/2 is great. it has swirly bokeh, but not as swirly as biotar. very nice for portrait

I wish you luck Kath, btw how much you paid for whole package?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdccameras wrote:

P.

Yeah I noticed that too Very Happy

IAZA wrote:
too bad, I always lost in bidding to get this. So it kinda wish list
Pancolar 50/2 is great. it has swirly bokeh, but not as swirly as biotar. very nice for portrait

I wish you luck Kath, btw how much you paid for whole package?

200 greenbacks -thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems a reasonable price for what you got...my 2 pancolars are away getting a service.. Very Happy
The starwars pancolars look so cool,I hope you can post up some images in the equipment section.. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Images from fungus infected Primoplan, taken right before dark-(all wide open) on Sony Alpha 700.

I guess it looks like a keeper even with fungus streaks.
Regards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renders similar to the Primotar 3.5/135 - not that sharp but great bokeh. I love my Primotar for the bokeh but wish it was sharper for some subjects.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep it for sure...I like that bokeh.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Renders similar to the Primotar 3.5/135 - not that sharp but great bokeh. I love my Primotar for the bokeh but wish it was sharper for some subjects.

I think its sharp enough, and I lam liking color and bokeh. You know- I have a Primotar waiting to get converted from Praktina mount, and I have not been able to take any test shots- can you post some Primotar images that you're talking of . I am loving these Meyer lens bokeh Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I would keep it for sure...I like that bokeh.

I am liking the swirls-. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People definetly give too much importance to fungae infections (I do too!).

I have a alens with a very badly ruined coating on the edges of the front element and guess what, I get very good color rendition, contraste, sharpness, etc. In my opinion fungae are most of the times no more than a excuse to lower the price and ok, they look awful but once once get past the cosmetic issue, it's no big deal.

The primoplan is rendering very nice images, keep it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I think its sharp enough, and I lam liking color and bokeh. You know- I have a Primotar waiting to get converted from Praktina mount, and I have not been able to take any test shots- can you post some Primotar images that you're talking of . I am loving these Meyer lens bokeh Very Happy Very Happy

Here are some Primotar samples, all wide open, it's sharp enough but noticeably less sharp than my Pentacon 2.8/135:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu, congrats on your find! What camera bodies were in this
sale?

I have a Primotar E (with the red 'V') 3.5/50 that I've never tried. I think
it's a triplet lens, but need to check further.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Kathmandu, congrats on your find! What camera bodies were in this
sale?

I have a Primotar E (with the red 'V') 3.5/50 that I've never tried. I think
it's a triplet lens, but need to check further.

Thank you, I received an Exakta VIIA,a VIIB, an Exa-Ia, a Praktica, a Selectaflex , an Agfa Color-Agnar viewfinder, a Kodak Box camera, and a Kodak Brownie.. That Primotar E sounds like a sharp lens-congrats.