Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Telyt 400/6.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Leitz Telyt 400/6.8 Reply with quote

I was shooting in my garden with the Leitz Telyt 400/6.8 lens this afternoon. This lens is incredibly easy to use for its focal length, yet it delivers incredible quality:

Then I noticed this wonderful red dragonfly:

I went closer. This is the closest I could do with the Telyt on my Pentax K20D (slightly cropped):

And here's a 100% crop (no sharpening):

That's a pity the sliding ring of the lens is not able to focus closer, because I find it very convenient for close-up pictures and I would love to have a quick-focusing 400mm macro lens! The Novoflex contraption with a bellows is not as easy to use and less rigid than the Telyt.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

nice pictures. May be a little bit overexposed or less contrast.

I have this lens also and it is one of the best tele lenses I own. Try to get a Leica x2 converter and then you will have a superb 800mm lens.

Here a link with some shots on a FF Canon 1DsMKIII

http://www.foto-bochum.net/Historical-Equipment/Lens-Leitz-Telyt-R-f68400/8950646_NKSvq#601985851_SNPvN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:

Thanks Rolf. As for the overexposure, I guess the pictures were just fine as they came out of the camera, but I tweaked them in Photoshop to reduce the contrast. Here's the story: I recently replaced my faithful CRT monitor (struck by lightning) with a brand new LCD. The new monitor has much more contrast and, even after careful calibration, shows my pictures much darker than they really are. As a consequence, I tend to lighten them in Photoshop to make them more pleasing on my screen, which makes them appear as lacking contrast on a normal monitor. I want my CRT back!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful red dragonfly Sebastien!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing catch.
Nice to see you here again Abbazz Cool

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Here's the story: I recently replaced my faithful CRT monitor (struck by lightning) with a brand new LCD. The new monitor has much more contrast and, even after careful calibration, shows my pictures much darker than they really are. As a consequence, I tend to lighten them in Photoshop to make them more pleasing on my screen, which makes them appear as lacking contrast on a normal monitor. I want my CRT back!
Abbazz

This explains it, Ive noticed a change in your photos as well, 4 some time now. You use to hit-em the best! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Abbazz wrote:
Rolf wrote:

Thanks Rolf. As for the overexposure, I guess the pictures were just fine as they came out of the camera, but I tweaked them in Photoshop to reduce the contrast. Here's the story: I recently replaced my faithful CRT monitor (struck by lightning) with a brand new LCD. The new monitor has much more contrast and, even after careful calibration, shows my pictures much darker than they really are. As a consequence, I tend to lighten them in Photoshop to make them more pleasing on my screen, which makes them appear as lacking contrast on a normal monitor. I want my CRT back!

Cheers!

Abbazz

Looking great on my 22" Mitsubishi diamond plus CRT

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing results from a 400mm lens indeed!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 400mm f/6.8 was my first Leica lens and only recently when I began using the 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt with 1.4x APO-Extender-R have I been using it less. The 400mm f/6.8 works well with extension tubes, and Leitz made a 60mm tube especially for the 400mm and 560mm f/6.8. Its catalog number is 14182.

Sample photos: http://wildlightphoto.com/400r68.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Abbazz Great shots Smile

Its true what Doug is saying.

You can se the extensiontube here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/servicing-leica-telyt-r-400-560mm-f6-8-t19600.html

Henrik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the kind words. The Telyt is indeed the easiest to use manual focus lens that I have (thanks to its clever quick focusing slider), and at the same time a long telephoto lens delivering superb optical quality in a relatively small and lightweight package.

wildlightphoto wrote:
The 400mm f/6.8 works well with extension tubes, and Leitz made a 60mm tube especially for the 400mm and 560mm f/6.8. Its catalog number is 14182.

Thank you Doug for the info about the extension tubes, but using extension tubes makes you loose infinity focus, thus negating the quick focusing advantage, because you have to mount and unmount the extension tubes according to the distance to your subject. Being able to focus continuously between infinity and 1 meter by merely sliding the front part of the lens would be awesome!

And thank you again for maintaining this wonderful website of yours, I feel amazed by your pictures every time I visit it.

Cheers!

Abbazz