Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica-Minolta collaboration
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
Returning to the subject of Leica, I've just got 90mm f4 Elmar from 1938. In order to check the performance, I've decided to do a ridiculous test and shoot it against Contax G Carl Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f2.8. Here are the results (click on the picture for full size).

#1 Leitz Elmar 90mm f4 @ f4

#2 Carl Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f2.8 @ f4

#3 Leitz Elmar 90mm f4 @ f4 lightly processed (just my standard tonal curve and exposure adjustment)

#4 Leitz Elmar 90 mm f4 @ f4 100% crop

#5 Carl Zeiss Sonnar 90mm f2.8 @ f4 100% crop

There is no doubt that Sonnar wins it, but the difference is not huge. Also keep in mind:

* Sonnar is one of the best 90mm lenses regardless of make and price
    * There is more than 50 years of development and life between those 2 lenses
    * Sonnar is in perfect shape, Leitz is quite banged up and has cleaning marks on the front element
    * Leitz is wide open @f4, while Sonnar is already stopped down.
    * 90mm Elmar is one of the few disrespected Leitz lenses

I think it's a testament to how ridiculously good those lenses are, when even a 70 year old beater can hold its own in technical quality against essentially modern optics like Contax G Sonnar.

I understand your point.

Perhaps a comparison betwenn both at F/8 or F/11 should help too.

I'm curious about it. Are you too?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR.JUAN wrote:

I understand your point.

To be honest, not particularly Wink Essentially, the comparison @ f4 told me everything I wanted to know about the technical quality of this lens. It's obvious that it's not going to beat the Zeiss at any aperture, Zeiss is just too good.

I also know how good the Zeiss is @ f4, stopping down to f8 on NEX does not improve it much if at all (perhaps the diffraction already takes its toll). So it's also obvious that the lens is very usable at any aperture if wide open is like that. What I am really interested in now is whether I will like shooting with it and whether it will give me something extra compared to the lenses that I already have.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
DR.JUAN wrote:

I understand your point.

To be honest, not particularly Wink Essentially, the comparison @ f4 told me everything I wanted to know about the technical quality of this lens. It's obvious that it's not going to beat the Zeiss at any aperture, Zeiss is just too good.

I also know how good the Zeiss is @ f4, stopping down to f8 on NEX does not improve it much if at all (perhaps the diffraction already takes its toll). So it's also obvious that the lens is very usable at any aperture if wide open is like that. What I am really interested in now is whether I will like shooting with it and whether it will give me something extra compared to the lenses that I already have.

Well, if I had to take the job, don't do. But anybody else could.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I might do on a rainy day is have a shootout between this Elmar, the first version of 90mm M-mount Elmarit and c-Elmar. It could be fun to see how the IQ progressed...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to fermy for those comparison pics - interesting to see how the pre-war Elmar performs compared to a more modern lens from a maker whose name nobody dare criticize Very Happy

I have a 1954 version which is supposed to be the same optic but coated, with the usual cleaning marks (=scratches) and lots of bits of dust inside. At f4 it shows just the same characteristics as fermy's in comparison with my other 90s - a 1966 Tele Elmarit and a 21st century Voigtlander Apo Lanthar. It's certainly less sharp and generally "duller". But when you stop it down to f5.6 the sharpness and contrast both pick up and at f8 - with only a little amount of processing - you can hardly tell the difference between it and the others. Maybe the Elmar would come third shooting into the light, it does have quite a lot of fine scratches.

The 90mm Elmar, like some other excellent optics, has in recent times acquired an unfavorable reputation which is completely unjustified. I think fermy has just the right word when he says "disrespected". Like so many other internet-reputations the assertion of its being "soft" is repeated ad nauseam by people who've either had a beat-up example or, more often, are parroting what others have already said. Back in the 1950s, the 90 Elmar was praised for the "plasticity" of its images. What the writers meant was the way the sharp, in-focus areas slid gradually into a softened rendering which still retained the form of the objects they depicted. In those 'happy times" we weren't obsessed with dissolving images into a featureless mush and "plasticity" was considered a virtue. But more recently, the wannabe experts have seized on the word and misconstrued its meaning in the original context.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm an old man. (But not always Wink )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
There is no doubt that Sonnar wins it, but the difference is not huge.

I wonder what you'd consider to be a huge difference then. In my eyes, the comparison pictures look like... night and day actually. There *has been* progress, and it *is* prominently visible *even* in Web-sized images, let alone 100% crops.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Minolta where is into that comparisons?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Thanks to fermy for those comparison pics - interesting to see how the pre-war Elmar performs compared to a more modern lens from a maker whose name nobody dare criticize Very Happy

I have a 1954 version which is supposed to be the same optic but coated, with the usual cleaning marks (=scratches) and lots of bits of dust inside. At f4 it shows just the same characteristics as fermy's in comparison with my other 90s - a 1966 Tele Elmarit and a 21st century Voigtlander Apo Lanthar. It's certainly less sharp and generally "duller". But when you stop it down to f5.6 the sharpness and contrast both pick up and at f8 - with only a little amount of processing - you can hardly tell the difference between it and the others. Maybe the Elmar would come third shooting into the light, it does have quite a lot of fine scratches.

The 90mm Elmar, like some other excellent optics, has in recent times acquired an unfavorable reputation which is completely unjustified. I think fermy has just the right word when he says "disrespected". Like so many other internet-reputations the assertion of its being "soft" is repeated ad nauseam by people who've either had a beat-up example or, more often, are parroting what others have already said. Back in the 1950s, the 90 Elmar was praised for the "plasticity" of its images. What the writers meant was the way the sharp, in-focus areas slid gradually into a softened rendering which still retained the form of the objects they depicted. In those 'happy times" we weren't obsessed with dissolving images into a featureless mush and "plasticity" was considered a virtue. But more recently, the wannabe experts have seized on the word and misconstrued its meaning in the original context.

Sometimes I'm glad I'm an old man. (But not always Wink )

It's a 4/3 tessar type so the characteristics you describe fit all 4.5 tessars. In the medium and large format worlds the tessar is still highly respected and for the very same characteristics you describe that have made it become disrespected in the small format world - the softness wide open and the sharpness stopped down, allowing to serve double duty as a portrait lens wide open and a general purpose lens stopped down. The plasticity is also recognised and valued.

It's not just the Elmar that is disrespected, all small format Tessars apart from the T* 45mm seem to share this disrespect, which is very unfounded and just shows ignorance of the abilities and characteristics of the lens.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure that I agree with Ian that Tessar types made for 24x36mm are 'disrespected' generally - maybe 'ignored' is more the case. Everyone (nearly!) seems to want to dissolve the background these days, and a 50mm Tessar ain't really going to do that, is it?

But going back to the 90mm Elmar, compared to the 50mm lens (of which we rarely hear anything but praise) the longer focal length enhanced the transition into de-focus, if that's the right term. No way is a good 90 Elmar actually 'soft' at f4 - any more than any other good 50mm Tessar type is at a similar f number. Now, the f2.8 versions might show something different but that's another story altogether.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
fermy wrote:

I wonder what you'd consider to be a huge difference then. In my eyes, the comparison pictures look like... night and day actually. There *has been* progress, and it *is* prominently visible *even* in Web-sized images, let alone 100% crops.

Sorry to disgree, but in the context of digital photography the difference simply is not huge. Fermy's not denying progress, what he's saying - quite correctly - is that the overall difference is little enough to be almost equalized by no more than adjusting contrast. The heart of the matter isn't how much better 'modern' lenses are but rather how 'good' are those from over half a century ago - no matter who made them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scsambrook wrote:
Sorry to disgree, but in the context of digital photography the difference simply is not huge. Fermy's not denying progress, what he's saying - quite correctly - is that the overall difference is little enough to be almost equalized by no more than adjusting contrast. The heart of the matter isn't how much better 'modern' lenses are but rather how 'good' are those from over half a century ago - no matter who made them.

In that case, any crappy zoom lens, including the infamous Nikkor 43-86mm, is just a matter of a little contrast adjustment. And I'll respectfully point that images coming from the old Elmarit aren't sharp if you inspect the 100% crops. OK, they can be sharpened and oversharpened, contrast can be boosted (with, as you sure know, a proportional loss of tonal gradations), but the result just won't ever look quite as good as one coming from a better lens.

I'm not saying the old Elmarit is a bad lens, I'm just saying that most other lenses can produce images that are sharper and more contrasty.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
fermy wrote:

Those qualitative comparisons are always subjective, aren't they? Sonnar delivers a punchier picture and that's something one would notice at any image size. That's T* v no coating for you.

The differences in contrast and resolution that I see are actually smaller compared to what I would expect to see when testing a great first party lens (e.g. Canon FD 24mm f2) v a perfectly usable, but not absolutely great 3rd party lens (e.g. VIvitar/Kiron 24mm/f2) at large apertures. On top of that I see a faint hint of CA in the Sonnar picture (on the watch and on the lens) , while it's completely absent in the Elmar picture.

At the end of the day, to classify the difference as "huge" or not, I simply ask myself whether I would be comfortable with taking a shot where technical IQ matters with Elmar, given that I have Sonnar somewhere. I guess, now you know the answer to this Wink

So yeah, there has been progress made, and the pictures show it. I certainly wasn't arguing otherwise. However, I would expect a lot more progress for half a century of development, humanity went from horse carriages to jet planes in roughly that time frame.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

The collaboration between Leica and Minolta resulted in the development of the Minolta CLE camera, which was compatible with Leica M-mount lenses. However, it's important to note that Leica and Minolta maintained separate lens production during this collaboration, and there were no specific lenses designed jointly by the two companies. pge outage map

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: thanks Reply with quote

An example relevant to the Leitz v/s Minolta quality control & manufacturing isssue:

My 800 catadioptric designed and labelled as produced in japan, must have had is longer mount and peculiar filter insertion mechanics adapted to the much longer mount-filmplane of the R cameras while in Japan and I doubt that Leitz would have accepted the cost saving "fussy-customer quality control principle" for those lenses- So in practice, the routines at Chyioda must have been comparable to those at Leitz.

p.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not an easy topic, partly because we do not have all the information about what a deal between two big companies might be. The Minolta XE1 for example, in order to "become" a Leica R3 has undergone many modifications, but the result is that today most Minolta still work well or fairly well, while the Leica almost all have electronic problems. In the case of optics, there are both Minolta/Leica lenses marked "Made in Japan" and others Germany, where probably the whole mount was made in Germany. It is also rumored that the Rokkor C 90/4 is actually an Elmar in its own right, while the Rokkor C 40/2 would be all Minolta... likewise it will always be arduous to know all the details of the other collaborations-Fuji and Panasonic first, which certainly contributed a lot to the creation of the digital Leica generation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In agree that collaboration deals are opaque, but in the case of "country of origin" labelling I believe there would have been a strong incentive to use Germany rather than Japan (just see how missguided many are with regards to Midland v/s Wetzlar or Kyocera v/s Zeiss (MMv/s AE) so if the rules had allowed mount work, parts and labour + quality control costs to qualify: it would have been labelled accordingly . All allowable accountant tricks would have been used. Hence I still believe that Minolta QC satisfied Leitz in this case.

The zoom lens issues may well have been different, with rumours stating that there were several returns and possibly the lenses assembled and labelled as made in Germany.

The only R zoom not made by Leitz that I have, is an Angenieux and that is clearly marked as made in France.

p

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulhofseth wrote:
In agree that collaboration deals are opaque, but in the case of "country of origin" labelling I believe there would have been a strong incentive to use Germany rather than Japan (just see how missguided many are with regards to Midland v/s Wetzlar or Kyocera v/s Zeiss (MMv/s AE) so if the rules had allowed mount work, parts and labour + quality control costs to qualify: it would have been labelled accordingly . All allowable accountant tricks would have been used. Hence I still believe that Minolta QC satisfied Leitz in this case.

The zoom lens issues may well have been different, with rumours stating that there were several returns and possibly the lenses assembled and labelled as made in Germany.

The only R zoom not made by Leitz that I have, is an Angenieux and that is clearly marked as made in France.

p

45/90 right?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pedestrian 35-70. The only exotic Angenieux stuff I have is for the old and newer Alpas plus one of their 180 "DEM"fast apochromatics (and the ill-fated Autozoom for Nikon)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the mediocre Leica lenses were designs they purchased from Minolta. Just kidding.

Leica made some very special lenses that were ahead of their time.
The Summilux 50 in particular. Even today it's very difficult to correct for coma on fast 50's and Leica did an exceptional job here and they calculated that lens in the 1960s. There also was no other lens that could match its performance at f/1.4 in the center for decades. There were lenses that could do better in the corners because Leica allowed massive curvature in the lens to get that performance. It would fail stevemark's typical test as the extreme corners didn't get crisp until f/8 due to the curvature. That lens was designed for handheld night photography where it had no serious competition for a long time. If you wanted a lens with less curvature where the corner performance was much better at wider apertures, then Leica had the summicron 50. The Summicron 50 would perform very strongly in stevemark's typical test.

The Noctilux 1.2 was special as was the Noctilux 0.95 who were way ahead of their time before any other competition. I can speak about other designs, but don't want to be accused of being a fan boy.

Leica had many lenses technically ahead of anything available that stayed ahead of competition anywhere from 5 to sometimes 20 years or more. The only issue with Leica is prices never went down on the older designs and you can buy newer designs from other manufacturers that surpassed the older ones for much cheaper. The issue with Leica is price. The other issue is that most of the technical superiority is at the widest aperture. If you can stop down a few stops, then no reason to pay that much, but Leica prices that in with the Elmars and Elmarits being the most affordable. The Summicrons more expensive. The Summiluxes get exponentially more expensive and the noctiluxes get obscenely expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
All the mediocre Leica lenses were designs they purchased from Minolta. Just kidding.

Leica made some very special lenses that were ahead of their time.
The Summilux 50 in particular. Even today it's very difficult to correct for coma on fast 50's and Leica did an exceptional job here and they calculated that lens in the 1960s. There also was no other lens that could match its performance at f/1.4 in the center for decades. There were lenses that could do better in the corners because Leica allowed massive curvature in the lens to get that performance. It would fail stevemark's typical test as the extreme corners didn't get crisp until f/8 due to the curvature. That lens was designed for handheld night photography where it had no serious competition for a long time. If you wanted a lens with less curvature where the corner performance was much better at wider apertures, then Leica had the summicron 50. The Summicron 50 would perform very strongly in stevemark's typical test.

The Noctilux 1.2 was special as was the Noctilux 0.95 who were way ahead of their time before any other competition. I can speak about other designs, but don't want to be accused of being a fan boy.

Leica had many lenses technically ahead of anything available that stayed ahead of competition anywhere from 5 to sometimes 20 years or more. The only issue with Leica is prices never went down on the older designs and you can buy newer designs from other manufacturers that surpassed the older ones for much cheaper. The issue with Leica is price. The other issue is that most of the technical superiority is at the widest aperture. If you can stop down a few stops, then no reason to pay that much, but Leica prices that in with the Elmars and Elmarits being the most affordable. The Summicrons more expensive. The Summiluxes get exponentially more expensive and the noctiluxes get obscenely expensive.

Well, I have long been a Leica fan boy, maybe even a kind of apostle. However, I cannot agree that the ONLY problem with Leica is the price. At the very least we must add an objective lack of reliability compared to even much more budget-oriented eastern companies. Almost all Leica lenses with a few decades on their backs have problems with the glass, which is often attacked and dulled by the same lubricant; the durability of the same lubricating grease over time is significantly lower than that of other manufacturers such as Pentax, Minolta etc. so their complex mechanics have to be disassembled and overhauled more often than others. The very weight of the optics often causes problems that cannot be solved at the slightest shock, while most often optics made of "vulgar" aluminum get away with a dent. Let's then gloss over the chilling issue of the inconsistent accuracy of telemetry cams, something that has thwarted excellent optical qualities for decades with millions of photographs that are not perfectly in focus. That said, I continue to love this brand for often having the courage to experiment, to push forward, to mark new frontiers, although it seems to me that much of that DNA has been lost in recent years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrapix wrote:
That said, I continue to love this brand for often having the courage to experiment, to push forward, to mark new frontiers, although it seems to me that much of that DNA has been lost in recent years.

How has the DNA been lost?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
90mm f4 Elmar .

I own Minolta M-ROKKOR 90mm f/4 with Leica M mount, which really is relabeled Elmar, but with MC coating (it was thrown to me in the one bag with Leica M4 and Summicron 35/2.0 as the free addition). And later I discovered it to be the very impressive lens.

f/4.0 Sony A7S

There is image in the full dimension:

https://i.ibb.co/5hmrQ2R/DSC09044-min.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice lens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbass wrote:
Ultrapix wrote:
That said, I continue to love this brand for often having the courage to experiment, to push forward, to mark new frontiers, although it seems to me that much of that DNA has been lost in recent years.

How has the DNA been lost?

I don't quite understand if you are asking me the reasons for my statement, or the reasons for this hypothetical loss. Let me try to answer the second question: I would say that even as a consequence of the deep financial crises of the past years, the numerous changes in the control room (I remember that even Hermes held the helm of the company for a while), it is not surprising that between very different entrepreneurial philosophies, the search for market consensus from which everything stems, and of course not least the drastic technical and commercial changes in the photo industry, it would have been rather surprising that Leica could still consistently represent the spirit of the very remote Oskar Barnak. That said, I am not alone in lamenting a certain conservatism in recent decades, in profound contrast to the revolutionary approach of the origins.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
almost everything is manufactured in China, but there is a big difference between the stuff sold under Sony label and no-name garbage.

Oh I completely agree. I just bought a 7o-year-old no-name relic at a flea market and after some cleaning, it works perfectly! Whereas I'm on my fourth Sony body (counting only the once dying of planned obsolescence). Proper garbage indeed.

As for Leica, I was fascinated to read that it was in fact Leica who invented the first Auto Focus system, but saw no use for it and sold it to Minolta - who published it