Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Korea Kodachrome 64
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Korea Kodachrome 64 Reply with quote

The recent thread on K64 reminded me that I have some images that I've recently scanned from my dad's archives when he was stationed in Korea during the Korean War. About 100 of them are K64 slides, the rest are b&w. I still haven't scanned them all yet. So anyway, here are a few of the more interesting ones I've scanned so far. I say "scanned" but I was actually using my duplicating rig with my DSLR because of its better resolution.

My dad's camera was a Kodak Pony 135, which is nothing to write home about. But he managed some decent shots with it. All of the following photos were taken sometime between 1952 and 1954.

Dad at his desk. He was what some folks in the Army call an REMF -- worked in supply, eventually became a supply seargent. But even he saw action on occasion.

Dad's commanding officer. I don't know what his name was, only that he was a Lt. Colonel. He was killed when their position was overrun by the North Koreans one night. Apparently the front line was rather fluid where they were stationed.

American POWs in their North Korean prison garb. These guys had just arrived back to the South side because of a prisoner swap, which apparently happened fairly often.

Wherever Americans go, there will be baseball. It's inevitable.

A glimpse of where Dad was stationed. A corner of the motorpool is visible, as is the massive storage area in the distance for larger materiel.

Passing a convoy.

Sometimes they don't always make it.

Near as I can tell, this is a rusted out, bombed out, and shot-up train.

I'll post more as I get them scanned.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating archive from a war now almost forgotten but for M*A*S*H re-runs...

Doug

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:
Fascinating archive from a war now almost forgotten but for M*A*S*H re-runs...

Doug

+1 fascinating pictures, I wish no war ever more.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great image quality from the Kodachromes, and your dad had an excellent photographer's eye!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 great quality!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked ooooohhh!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for posting these. As photos, they are great. The baseball shot and the portrait of the office really stand out though. As historical sources, they are absolutely fascinating. I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Yebisu. I have processed a lot more black and white than I have Kodachrome so far. Perhaps I should start a B&W thread as well? I don't want to mix them with this thread since it's specifically about Kodachrome.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job!!
Thanks for sharing this!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an interesting documentary. Seeing those first-hand images is fascinating. Thanks a lot for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are fantastic...it is good to see the color in the countryside....it looked so barren in B&W.
A nice tribute to your father and his photography.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are a valuable group of images for you to have for your family
legacy. They are supremely interesting, and pretty darn good photography
too.