Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9 - Lens cover and f/2 image set (REQ)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:59 am    Post subject: Jupiter-9 - Lens cover and f/2 image set (REQ) Reply with quote

This thread is based on several requests from on an earlier thread entitled: Jupiter-9: Wide open sample.
From which a few people requested information on the particular Jupiter-9 model used in the initial shot.

And so without further delay, here's a small spread of that lens along with a small collection of f/2 images for good measure.

The lens itself:

Sample Snaps at f/2:

And a rather boring f/2 sharpness shot:

And the crop:

Last edited by JohnBee on Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:46 pm; edited 6 times in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, fantastic shots.

So if these are at f2, what's the max aperture? 1.5?

Is this a copy of the Biotar 1.5/85?

I can see why people say this is a great lens for portraiture, you definitely showed off it's abilites extremely well, thankyou.

Now to save my pennies for a J9!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, I just noticed(last minute) that my lens image set wasn't showing-up.
I've since fixed this and hopefully it will help with most questions with regards to the lens type and model etc.

FTR. this particular lens is a 85mm f/2 version.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these. Looks exactly like my copy, minus the glow wide open.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the further info. Really nice lens and nice shots.

Mind if I ask how much you paid for it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter-9 - Model cover and f/2 image set (REQ) Reply with quote

JohnBee wrote:

Very good. You found a very flattering angle. I don't like the background so much though. This is your daughter?

Definitely a nice showcase of what the J-9 can do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great series from a great lens! Congrats! J9 is forever my favorite lens , no matter how many more appreciated lens I have.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter-9 - Model cover and f/2 image set (REQ) Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Thanks for the further info. Really nice lens and nice shots. Mind if I ask how much you paid for it?

I had two other Jupiter-9's at the time(black ones) when I found this particular copy on eBay being advertised as NIB. And so, since my other two copies weren't very sharp wide open(though nice), I decided to buy this one as a collectors item. The entire deal worked-out to be around 235 USD at my door.

AhamB wrote:
Very good. You found a very flattering angle. I don't like the background so much though. This is your daughter?

Definitely a nice showcase of what the J-9 can do.

Thanks, we had little choices with the window given the time of day, and so we had to work with it. Having said that, the answer is yes. This is my daughter Smile

Thanks for the kind comments.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter-9 - Model cover and f/2 image set (REQ) Reply with quote

JohnBee wrote:

Thanks, we had little choices with the window given the time of day, and so we had to work with it.

What's the problem, the photo is perfect. In a photograph, what counts is the light, not the window. And the light is perfect.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter-9 - Model cover and f/2 image set (REQ) Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
JohnBee wrote:

Thanks, we had little choices with the window given the time of day, and so we had to work with it.

What's the problem, the photo is perfect. In a photograph, what counts is the light, not the window. And the light is perfect.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter-9 - Model cover and f/2 image set (REQ) Reply with quote

JohnBee wrote:

I had two other Jupiter-9's at the time(black ones) when I found this particular copy on eBay being advertised as NIB. And so, since my other two copies weren't very sharp wide open(though nice), I decided to buy this one as a collectors item. The entire deal worked-out to be around 235 USD at my door.

Do you remember the production years for those other two? Also, for the current one? First two digits of S/N.

My copy is from 1989. I just compared it again today against the Mitakon 85/2 @f/2. The Mitakon is much sharper and its bokeh is smoother also. My copy of the Jupiter has a glow and a lack of microcontrast at f/2; also, the bokeh is very different - it looked as if it was still catching reflections in out of focus areas, so those look a bit more nervous, although in other situations I can see that effect as an advantage because it can look like paintbrush strokes. Overall, my Jupiter copy is artistically interesting, but the Mitakon is a more competent tool wide open. Your copy makes me want to start looking for another one, but I'm too tired of the auction game.