Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-8 sample with 5D Mark II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-8 sample with 5D Mark II Reply with quote

Today I and Alessandro met in Castel San Giovanni for the used camera fair.
We found some very interesting stuff, but we bought little because we did not really want to spend.
I for instance have left a good condition Distagon 1.4/35 in Rollei SL mount. It costed 330 Euros. My collectioner's heart wanted to buy it but my photographer's brain said I already have this lens in Contax mount and it would be a non necessary expense. So it stayed there Sad

In the end I only bought a broken Zorki-4 for 25 Euros, only to get the Jupiter-8 in M39 mount. I already have the lens in Contax RF mount but with the M39 thread I can use it as macro lens on the EOS cameras and on M mount cameras should I ever buy one. For the same reason, I also bought a M39 to M mount adapter.

When I got home, I took a sample shot with the Jupiter-8 mounted on the 5D Mark II. Only one shot, before the battery died Rolling Eyes Here it is, handheld and shot wide open, near to the primeroses on my terrace:

The flare on blur happened naturally, I did not do anything to cause it.

P.S. for those who don't know it, the Jupiter-8 is a 50mm f/2 lens for rangefinders. It is a clone of the Zeiss Sonnar 2/50 for Contax RF.
-

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the J8, but never used it on an SLR. I've heard it flares but I haven't found that.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the J8 on my FED3. I think it shows a more pleasant character than the Industar-61, although the Industar is a bit sharper.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jupiter-8 of my Kiev/Contax does not flare like this wide open.
Strange.
However I think it could actually be good for portraits wide open. It seems a very nice bokeh to me: image doubled, but smeared. I like it better than simple mashed potato blur. It does make things fade but it retains a character.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flare, schmare. it's a nice shot ...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I love the J8 on my FED3. I think it shows a more pleasant character than the Industar-61, although the Industar is a bit sharper.

Once stopped down to the maximum aperture of the Industar the Jupiter is sharp, I could not find any disadvantage or any need to keep the Industars (all sold or on sale) for sharpness purposes.