Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-37: Bad Focus. Is it possible to repair?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Jupiter-37: Bad Focus. Is it possible to repair? Reply with quote

Hey, I'm new to MF lenses and just got my 4th and 5th M42's. A Jupiter-37 (black) and a Helios 44M-4 from ebay. The Helios works fine but the J37 won't focus at all.

The front of the lens was loose. It could shake up/down, left/right. I removed the M42 mount and found that the retaining nut on the rear was loose. I suspect this lens has been taken apart before.

I removed the retaining nut, dropped the lens out of the rear portion but wasn't sure how to disassemble the lens or even what to do if I could get it apart!

I got the two pieces put back together and the lens feels solid but the focus still isn't right. Even in Live View with the aperture closed down it can't attain a sharp focus.

Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOOOOOT!!!!

I fixed it! The rear element was in backwards. I popped that out, reversed it, then put the lens back together. Works great now!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well..... now it can focus fine but it can't focus at Infinity. Hmmmm....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I got it fixed. I took out 3 of the 4 shims and adjusted the focus by removing the 2 screws in each focus guide and adjusting the unit until the Infinity matched up properly.

It's too dark outside to test it for sure, but I can now focus across my house with room to spare where before I couldn't even get that far!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations with your repair.

By the way, welcome to our forum.
Where are you from? Please update your member profile.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this your first time fixing Jupiter 37 or have you done it before? You figure out all that by yourself? Amazing and Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first time repairing any lens! Yeah, I figured it out myself after a little while of fiddling with it.

Thanks for the welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgf323 wrote:
This is my first time repairing any lens! Yeah, I figured it out myself after a little while of fiddling with it.

Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to the forum, and yes the feeling of repairing a lens all by yourself (without prior experience) is priceless. I know how it feels.

Have fun with your lenses! Very Happy