Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

If you can wish for just ONE lens ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lauge wrote:
Wish for, like you can have one lens for free then Leica Noctilux-m 50/0.95 Then I would sell it and use the money to buy a small island ind the pacific and there should still be some left for cheaper MF gear like my favorite Zeiss Flektogon MC 35/2.4 Very Happy

Hilarious!

I'd have the ultra fast Zeiss lens Kubrick used for Barry Lyndon, then I could take pics by torchlight on your island... lol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy for me, distagon 35/1.4 (dont have), followed closely by planar 85/1.4 (have!)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meyer Primoplan 1.9/75mm or Minolta Rokkor 2/100mm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Carl Zeiss Distagon 21/2.8 Smile

+1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
I'm with Carsten, living with one lens would be doable.

Oops, Ludo. For me that was a joke, as you all know. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Hah, mine was not. Generations of great photographers used mostly one lens, it greatly simplifies the way one looks at things. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interpreted the question as “if you could wish for one lens in addition to your current lenses, what would it be”, not “if you only had one lens”…

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ludoo wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

Hah, mine was not. Generations of great photographers used mostly one lens, it greatly simplifies the way one looks at things. Smile

I always have admired a flickr contact of mine, Michael aka shakmati. He only shoots film, and besides his Kowa 6x6 medium format with one lens he had a Spotmatic with a f2/55 Takumar as his only lens during his time in Myanmar / Burma:

http://www.flickr.com/search/show/?q=spotmatic&w=34726030%40N04&ss=2
( I know that during his first visit he only had the 2/55 but I could not filter his site better, there will be some including taken with a f1.8/55 Takumar and a 28mm )

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.... I would chose... nikkor 200/2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
I interpreted the question as “if you could wish for one lens in addition to your current lenses, what would it be”, not “if you only had one lens”…

In that case: a Zeiss Distagon 1.4/35 (from that day on I could shoot with Orio's copy, I know that this lens is a dream lens!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a 50mm lens, for sure. So many good ones to chose from. Nikkor 50mm f/2; SMC Takumar 55mm 1.8; Yashica ML 50mm 1.9, just to name a few. I'd probably decide on the Summicron-M 50mm, the tabbed version with the yellow 50 on it. It is rather special.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something small and fast. Zuiko 50mm f1.2 on an OM-3Ti or Nex5? At least that's an affordable combo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

based on my experience, Flek 35/2,4 for all purposes in NEX5

based on my dream, Schneider Kreuznach 50/0,95 c-mount

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 25 years ago Nikkor 35/1,4 and even more annoying when it was stolen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a 4x5 camera, my dream lens would be Cooke Portrait PS945 229mm/4.5 (9"/4.5). However, lacking both the 4x5 and the money for the Cooke, my old Schneider-Kreuznach 105/4.5 would be extremely hard to replace as an only lens. In my soft focus set-up it does a rather fair approximation of the Cooke, and I do most of my serious shooting with it.

Veijo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Carl Zeiss Distagon 21/2.8 Smile

This man is on the money. I *want* one of those...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:

That's how I understood the question too.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would take a pinhole - the only way to be 100% protected against fungus Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta 17mm MC W. Rokkor f4.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ach, yet another dreaded "If you could have only one . . . " thread. I've been through this with motorcycles and with guitars and with cameras (but not lenses) and I've decided that it's impossible. You may be able to get by with only one for a while, but sooner or later you'll find yourself in a situation where you won't be able to say "no," so you'll get another, and then another . . .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Ach, yet another dreaded "If you could have only one . . . " thread.

Like I said before, I don't think the question means this at all—it's “what one lens would you wish for”, as in, if you rubbed an old zoom's pump mechanism the right way and a genie launched out of it, offering you this wish. So, the lens would be in addition to your existing collection… What's the one you'd want to add. =)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my case it's the same for either a 'wish' or for having only one, the distagon 35/1.4. good for street, pano, low light, and for theory you can always crop to get closer, like to create a portrait shot, but you cant widen a portrait lens!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sadasdasdasdacs

Last edited by MoonPix on Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wish lens right now is AF, sorry guys. The Nikon 24mm f/1.4. I did some shooting in low light and it just seems unreal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkku wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
Ach, yet another dreaded "If you could have only one . . . " thread.

Like I said before, I don't think the question means this at all—it's “what one lens would you wish for”, as in, if you rubbed an old zoom's pump mechanism the right way and a genie launched out of it, offering you this wish. So, the lens would be in addition to your existing collection… What's the one you'd want to add. =)

Ahh . . . well, in that case . . . hell, the decision is almost as difficult, isn't it.

My preferred subjects are almost always at telephoto distances, so I would want to go with something exotic, and since I would be granted only one and since this is an mf forum anyway, I'd go with a Nikon telephoto, and that telephoto would be the 300mm f/2 ED-IF.