Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I can make them too
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with Orio that it far better to say what one have in mind instead than using verbal gimnicks that are often perceived even worse because of the limitations of the written form.

This said, I think it's pretty obvious this topic inflamed a bit because the title itself was provocative. Nothing bad about it, I like hard discussion myself most of the times, but the results shouldn't be unexpected.

Now let's go to the image. I don't like it as I don't like 99% of the "cheap" effects one can get out photoshop or similar programs.

I think there are two different levels of photoshopping, one (the one I use 99% of times) is just "adjusting": I mean contrast, colors, sharpness where needed, clean some blemishes etc. Then there is the complete image manipulation that I'm not very able to and it's very similar to painting.

In this case the main reason I dislike it's because it's not subtle, it's just a superficial effect that, while I can see the reason behind, is not sufficient to justify the "heavyness" of the effect to MY eyes.
I underlined the word "my" because we're in the field of personal taste and there's absolutely no absolute Smile

Example of postprocessing I like:

from heavy

(large size
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2059/2049751497_dc922b0277_o.jpg)
to subtler

But getting good results you have to start from a good image (as both of the above) and a lot of work and refinement, not just a layer with a quick mask. Probably Orio is right when he's saying it's photography no more. For sure it's not ONLY photography.

(P.S. the images above aren't mine. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to get similar results).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photo Orio.

I agree, that CK sometimes doesn't work,
if the composition is not "minimalistic" enough.
For me, this colorful CK has the problem of having too many "distracting/attracting" faces, looking at many different directions.

Probably, I wouldn't use any effect beside black & white.

I like the original composition of the photo, but also Robs crop "D".

I also want to mention, that I like the way my eyes begin to wander
from left to right, through all persons to finally stick with the very
(and only) friendly looking woman on the right side. Smile

Best regards
Hasan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasan, thanks for the comment, the photo is not important. I just took the first one I could find that had a mix of adult and children audience in them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: I can make them too too Reply with quote

learn from Orio.

Zeiss Flektogon 35mm/2.8 + Nikon D80

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soullivan wrote:
learn from Orio

very nice result
this trick is used a lot on tv publicity to emphasize a product
this nice flower doesn't need any trick
show us the pic with the brick wall in red so we can compare

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soullivan,

your model would look perfect even if wrapped up in news paper. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People used to pay a fortune to have this done to their wedding pictures - easy money!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puplet wrote:
People used to pay a fortune to have this done to their wedding pictures - easy money!

Yes, this drives the spot on to the average people taste - or lack thereof...

Of course, I always say, all is fair in commercial photography, as long as the client is satisfied it is ok.
I have to do a lot of photoshop postwork on the images for my work.

But my own hobby, is a different thing...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe your audience does not have the "PP burn out" that you do. Maybe you are like your image, trying to recapture the colours you saw as a child through expensive glass! Too deep for 9:30 in the morning?