Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I am torn between Planar 50/1.7 and Pancolar 50/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Got it today. Reply with quote

Got the Pancolar today and the glass is yellowed (damn thorium) with two big dust inside...

BUT..

I couldn't resist Zeissy 3D. Laughing

Many thanks for your feedbacks.

Last edited by WallyJr74 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great capture Smile

Of course you can use the sun to de-yellow the lens.
I don't think the dust will effect images 99% of the time.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe...maybe not. I don't know why but I find the yellow colour very appealing. Cool

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Walli. In this case the yellowing gives a good feeling to the photos.

The first one is lovely, perfect DOF and I love the comical/funny pose.

The second one is excellent portrait, again.

The third picture is technically perfect but your wife needs to work a bit on her posing skills Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Great capture Smile

Of course you can use the sun to de-yellow the lens.
I don't think the dust will effect images 99% of the time.

Hi, could you share how to de-yellow the lens under the sun? Thanks in advance. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pentaxme wrote:

Hi, could you share how to de-yellow the lens under the sun? Thanks in advance. Smile

Hi Pentaxme, welcome to the forum!

how to de-yellow under the sun?
well, simply expose it to the strong equatorial sun of Singapore and watch that no tropical rain catches it Wink

I believe that really is all there is to it: expose it to sun with the caps off

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
pentaxme wrote:

well, simply expose it to the strong equatorial sun of Singapore and watch that no tropical rain catches it Wink

Ugh, that could easily cause fire with concentrated sun rays focused to a single point. Usually, it is recommended to carefully wrap the lens into aluminum foil, leaving *only* the rear element exposed. Then put it under the sun, pointing the rear element to the sun (it's the rear one that yellows).

This way, you'll avoid excessive heating of the lens (you don't want that - or you can get all kinds of problems from stuck aperture blades to oil evaporating inside the lens and condensing onto the internal lens elements).

I did just that, and two weeks under the sun (about an hour a day) were enough to decrease the yellowing to a very faint level.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed thank you for the correction aoleg!
( I have the impression that my Tak 50/1.4 de-yellowed quite a bit simply by shooting a lot with it! Very Happy )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Smile

Hope I won't get a chance to do this.

aoleg wrote:
kuuan wrote:
pentaxme wrote:

Ugh, that could easily cause fire with concentrated sun rays focused to a single point. Usually, it is recommended to carefully wrap the lens into aluminum foil, leaving *only* the rear element exposed. Then put it under the sun, pointing the rear element to the sun (it's the rear one that yellows).

This way, you'll avoid excessive heating of the lens (you don't want that - or you can get all kinds of problems from stuck aperture blades to oil evaporating inside the lens and condensing onto the internal lens elements).

I did just that, and two weeks under the sun (about an hour a day) were enough to decrease the yellowing to a very faint level.