Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How were the term Levels & Curves made ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: How were the term Levels & Curves made ? Reply with quote

Does any one know of this ?
I am trying to find a hindi/marathi (languages in India) word for it.
Does anyone know of it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Level comes from the Latin word Libellus = small book.
The reason is because it has originally a legal meaning. The Libellus was the contract for which a good was rent to other people for they could make a profit. Example, renting a field so that you can make a crop. So the contract was made to make the profits equal and was recorded on a small book (Libellus)

Curve comes from Latin verb curvare = to bend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Level comes from the Latin word Libellus = small book.
The reason is because it has originally a legal meaning. The Libellus was the contract for which a good was rent to other people for they could make a profit. Example, renting a field so that you can make a crop. So the contract was made to make the profits equal and was recorded on a small book (Libellus)

Curve comes from Latin verb curvare = to bend.

Thanks Orio, but i wanted to know about how they got into photography.
Is Curves Photoshop's term ? or were it used in FILM photography ?
So also with Levels ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure when or how the terms were originally used in photography. However here's a guess.

Level can mean the height of something. So if we have a multi-story building the different floors are at different heights relative to some reference - we say they are at different levels. If we look at the histogram on the back of our camera, or in photoshop or some other program, we see a series of 256 lines, numbered 0-255. The height of each line is proportional to the number of pixels with a particuar intensity. So if the line at the extreme left is extremely high we have a lot of black pixels, and so on. We could talk about the relative heights of the different lines. Instead we use the word levels. I don't know why - and remember it's just a guess.

Curves. I don't use Photoshop but in the program I use there is a picture of the histogram with 3 sliders at the bottom. There is also a black line running from the bottom left corner to the top-right. If I move the slider at the left (black point) and/or the slider at the right (white point) the line moves but it stays straight. If I move the slider in the middle it becomes curved. Coincidence ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curves is associated with the film "characteristic curve" - exposure/density, spectral response.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sichko, sounds like you and I use the same image processing software -- Paint Shop Pro. I'm using X2 after using v8 for years, and find I don't need Photoshop at all.

I have always assumed that "Curves" refers to the ability to manipulate the histogram, which is a curve (mathematically speaking, more or less) when the colors are combined or a set of three curves when they are not.

As for "Levels," I think more in terms of 'limits', since one is truncating the ends of the curve and adjusting the mid-point.

From a pragmatic point of view, however, I don't find much difference between the two functions -- at least in PSPX2 -- and usually use the Curves function. However, if I am having some difficulties with an image, I'll give Levels a try too to see if I fare any better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think OP wants someone with Hindi version of Photoshop to tell him what Adobe says is Hindi for levels & curves functions. Or perhaps at local camera shop someone uses Photoshop can say what they call functions.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:
I think OP wants someone with Hindi version of Photoshop to tell him what Adobe says is Hindi for levels & curves functions. Or perhaps at local camera shop someone uses Photoshop can say what they call functions.

unfortunately no Hindi version of photoshop. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

siriusdogstar wrote:

unfortunately no Hindi version of photoshop. Sad