Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to repair the aperture of Meyer oreston 50 1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: How to repair the aperture of Meyer oreston 50 1.8 Reply with quote

I am a fresh man, recently I bought a lens named meyer oreston 50 1.8 from ebay. But there's some problems.
The aperture can only be used at 1.8 stop.

Would you pls teach me how the disassemble and repaire it ? I 've nemer repaired lens before.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Fox.
[/b]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you never repaired a lens before? Then consider this lens as a loss and a learning subject. You'll have to start somewhere and this Oreston may just be it... Smile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: How to repair the aperture of Meyer oreston 50 1.8 Reply with quote

tianqiang0316 wrote:
I am a fresh man, recently I bought a lens named meyer oreston 50 1.8 from ebay. But there's some problems.

Would you pls teach me how the disassemble and repaire it ? I 've nemer repaired lens before.

Fox.
[/b]

Could be the blades stuck:- try stopping the lens down to f22 and press pin in (at the back) for stop down mode...and then hold the lens in one hand and bang the lens with your palm of your other hand, this might free the blades if slightly stuck because of non use.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to repair the aperture of Meyer oreston 50 1.8 Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
tianqiang0316 wrote:

Fox.
[/b]

Could be the blades stuck:- try stopping the lens down to f22 and press pin in (at the back) for stop down mode...and then hold the lens in one hand and bang the lens with your palm of your other hand, this might free the blades if slightly stuck because of non use.

Many thanks of your kindly reply.
BUt I have do it. Both the pin and epth of field preview button do not work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Have you never repaired a lens before? Then consider this lens as a loss and a learning subject. You'll have to start somewhere and this Oreston may just be it... Smile

I have decided! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the should be a button at the side of the ring which you need to press to close the aperture, as what I did with my Meyer Oreston 50/1.8.
you may open up the lens from the bottom to see how the aperture closing from the side button works; which I did it after I bought the lens last time.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomzcafe wrote:
the should be a button at the side of the ring which you need to press to close the aperture, as what I did with my Meyer Oreston 50/1.8.
you may open up the lens from the bottom to see how the aperture closing from the side button works; which I did it after I bought the lens last time.

The close button doesn't work.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How to repair the aperture of Meyer oreston 50 1.8 Reply with quote

tianqiang0316 wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
tianqiang0316 wrote:

Fox.
[/b]

Many thanks of your kindly reply.
BUt I have do it. Both the pin and epth of field preview button do not work.

erm well that's because the blades are stuck wide open Wink When you press the pin or lever in, it's set to close the blades and giving the lens a gentle bang will give it added help to close at f22. Believe me what I've said works (from experience) if the blades are very slightly stuck as mentioned above.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any repair instructions for this lens. I once adjusted the infinity focus on one, which was very straightforward.

You will need to clean the aperture blades with a cotton wool bud and plenty of petrol lighter fluid, and keep moving the blades until the fluid dries. You can probably access them by removing the mount end of the lens and removing the rear lens group, which is probably fixed with 3 small grub screws. Be carful not to lose the small ball bearing under the aperture ring, which is spring-loaded and jumps out.

If you need to go further and dismantle the diaphragm, the CZJ 2.8/50 Tessar might be quite similar design to the Oreston. Here are the instructions for the Tessar:
http://oomz.net/tessar/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful ! I've got a Tessar in bits that I took apart years ago and couldn't get back together. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I don't know of any repair instructions for this lens. I once adjusted the infinity focus on one, which was very straightforward.

You will need to clean the aperture blades with a cotton wool bud and plenty of petrol lighter fluid, and keep moving the blades until the fluid dries. You can probably access them by removing the mount end of the lens and removing the rear lens group, which is probably fixed with 3 small grub screws. Be carful not to lose the small ball bearing under the aperture ring, which is spring-loaded and jumps out.

If you need to go further and dismantle the diaphragm, the CZJ 2.8/50 Tessar might be quite similar design to the Oreston. Here are the instructions for the Tessar:
http://oomz.net/tessar/

Thansk a lot!

But I have heard that dismandle the rear lens might change the optical axis, is it true?