Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Helios lens autofocus problem
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Helios lens autofocus problem Reply with quote

Hi

I have recently bought a Helios 44M lens (2/5Cool with autofocus and put it on my Canon 550D dslr camera. It seems the autofocus does not work?

Is it supposed not to work? Or could it be that it is simply broken? Will it work on other dslr cameras? (I am planning on buying a Canon 7D very soon...)

Hope you can help!
- Jesper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you kidding? A Helios 58/2 does not have autofocus. However, you can get focus confirmation when you use a chipped adapter (an adapter with contacts). You'd still need to focus the lens by hand though... That's what this forum is about. Wink

Edit: welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was fast!

As you might have guessed, I am very new to this. And to be honest I do not really know much about any of this - which is why I am asking.

Alright, can you explain to me then what the M/A switch on the side of the lens is used for then?

What does focus confirmation actually mean?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A/M is for switching between auto or manual aperture operation at the moment of exposure on old cameras, such as Pentax, Praktica etc. You will need it in the M position on modern cams.

AF Confirm means the camera will beep, or indicate in some way, that you have achieved perfet focus. someone will be along shortly to offer more specific info for your camera.

...and welcome!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The M/A switch relates to old technology for changing the aperture of the lens. The little pin would be depressed when in A mode to actuate the aperture. This function no longer exists so to choose your desired aperture you need M mode selected and then you get a darker viewfider with a higher aperture value.
Play with the lens and you will see what I mean.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip: Always focus your lens at its widest, fastest aperture and only stop down if you have a very good reason to.
A good reason would be because your using a lens with poor quality optics, making it soft and virtually unusabe at its widest aperture.
Most good lenses peak in sharpness at between f4-f5.6, so always shoot at a wider aperture than f5.6 whenever possible and dont be tempted to stop down more than f8-11 or you will start running into diffraction problems (your lens will start getting softer again.) Wink